Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Maybe it’s just my mental health issues that push me to be this way, but I feel like I have no choice but to be optimistic right now. If I didn’t force myself to look for reasons that things are going to work out the way we hope, I would be going insane right now.

Having said that - there’s a lot of evidence to suggest that for various reasons, we might be okay and it won’t be forever for us to get though it. There’s evidence suggesting the virus is mutating to actually be less dangerous, as many similar viruses do. There are at least 3-4 different existing drugs that have begun to show a lot of promise in terms of drastically reducing the symptoms and severity of the infection. There’s also various studies out there suggesting that this virus has been widespread for much longer than we’ve known, and that many more people have actually been asymptomatic than we realized all along, which suggests it might not be as threatening as we believe it to be.

I believe there will be baseball in some form this year. I believe life will be at least halfway back to normal sooner than later. I believe those things because I kind of have to believe them for my own well-being, but the good news is that there are actually reasons to believe them.

Just felt compelled to add that to the conversation.
    Where are you reading it is becoming less dangerous?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Where are you reading it is becoming less dangerous?
    Over on Reddit, the sub r/COVID19 (I believe, might be an underscore in there) had a paper linked about it.

From what I remember, the CFR is basically going down the more it spreads around here.
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 03-21-2020 at 12:19 AM.

Maybe it’s just my mental health issues that push me to be this way, but I feel like I have no choice but to be optimistic right now. If I didn’t force myself to look for reasons that things are going to work out the way we hope, I would be going insane right now.

Having said that - there’s a lot of evidence to suggest that for various reasons, we might be okay and it won’t be forever for us to get though it. There’s evidence suggesting the virus is mutating to actually be less dangerous, as many similar viruses do. There are at least 3-4 different existing drugs that have begun to show a lot of promise in terms of drastically reducing the symptoms and severity of the infection. There’s also various studies out there suggesting that this virus has been widespread for much longer than we’ve known, and that many more people have actually been asymptomatic than we realized all along, which suggests it might not be as threatening as we believe it to be.

I believe there will be baseball in some form this year. I believe life will be at least halfway back to normal sooner than later. I believe those things because I kind of have to believe them for my own well-being, but the good news is that there are actually reasons to believe thesett?ing donm.
    all in
    Just felt compelled to add that to the conversation.
    Thank you for this post. I don't think things are settling down,. but you optimistic voice is encouraging.

We are all in this together.

5. Likes:

757690 (03-21-2020),Ron Madden (03-21-2020),The Operator (03-21-2020),Wonderful Monds (03-21-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Thank you for this post. I don't think things are settling down,. but you optimistic voice is encouraging.

We are all in this together.
    It’s going to be about a month or so before it peaks, which means things are definitely going to get worse in some sense before it gets better. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Especially if we’re smart about following guidelines.

7. Likes:

North (03-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    I don’t think there has been any scientific evidence to support the virus prefers colder weather.
    I think we should hope it does. Otherwise it's going to be a very long year.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I think we should hope it does. Otherwise it's going to be a very long year.
    This year has already been a decade long. What's another four decades?

10. Likes:

M2 (03-21-2020)

Over on Reddit, the sub r/COVID19 (I believe, might be an underscore in there) had a paper linked about it.

From what I remember, the CFR is basically going down the more it spreads around here.
    CFR?

I miss getting into dumb debates about sports with some of you folks.

13. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (03-21-2020),M2 (03-21-2020),The Operator (03-21-2020)

I miss getting into dumb debates about sports with some of you folks.
    I can't believe they traded Bullfrog!

Idiot Sox.

For a utility infielder?

15. Likes:

blumj (03-21-2020),The Operator (03-21-2020),westofyou (03-21-2020)

CFR?
    Code of Federal Regulations?
    Căile Ferate Române?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Code of Federal Regulations?
    Căile Ferate Române?
    Case fatality rate. It’s a ratio, not a counting stat.

18. Likes:

Falls City Beer (03-22-2020)

CFR = Cougars For Randy

If your name is Randy, you stand to have a lot of large mountain cats coming your way. If so, take appropriate measures to socially distance yourself from cougars.

20. Likes:

Chip R (04-01-2020),Yachtzee (03-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    CFR = Cougars For Randy

If your name is Randy, you stand to have a lot of large mountain cats coming your way. If so, take appropriate measures to socially distance yourself from cougars.
    Or attractive older ladies looking for a younger man.

22. Likes:

Chip R (04-01-2020),The Operator (03-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Or attractive older ladies looking for a younger man.
    Ahh, that's Cougars Feeling Randy, which tends to rise with higher national pinot grigio consumption.

24. Likes:

BobRoberts (03-24-2020),Bourgeois Zee (03-21-2020),Old school 1983 (03-21-2020),paintmered (03-22-2020),RichRed (03-21-2020),Roy Tucker (03-22-2020),Yachtzee (03-21-2020)

As I spend more time contemplating how to do an abbreviated season, I'm liking the idea of four divisions organized geographically. No NL/no AL. Make up some new and interesting combinations. Play a 42-game schedule, you only play inside your division (8-team divisions play six times against each opponent, 7-team divisions play seven times against each opponent). 4th and 5th place in each division make the play-in game, then it's a 16-team playoff.

Turn Off Ads?