Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

I really wonder what will happen if MLB decides on a return date, they re-start "spring" training, they sell tickets to opening day, etc. and then the situation gets worse. What would have to happen for them to be forced to cancel everything again?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I think back to when we packed (or partly filled) the ballpark not even thinking about who was sitting next to us and what they might have been carrying, while passing a foil-wrapped hot dog down the row. Or standing in line at the concessions, or in the semi-regularly cleaned restrooms. It will be interesting to see what kind of “normal” we’ll return to. We still do some things differently because of 9/11, but we returned to doing dopey silly stuff, too. Oh for the days when the only outbreak we worried about was the Woo.
    And so many of those things are the experiences that I now realize are "what we love" about going to the park.

The vendors hawking their goods with familiar calls. Ushers chasing people out of seats. The crush of people trying to get in for a big game. All part of what I think of as baseball. None of which actually involve the game itself.

It is going to be a little strange to say the least

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I really wonder what will happen if MLB decides on a return date, they re-start "spring" training, they sell tickets to opening day, etc. and then the situation gets worse. What would have to happen for them to be forced to cancel everything again?
    That would be an absolute nightmare. It's becoming more clear with each passing day/week that the best decision in order to avoid the above scenerio, as well as the spread of the virus itself, is to outright cancel the 2020 season.
    Award players service time, grant free agency to those eligible for 2021, etc.

The risks are just too high at this point (as well for the foreseeable future) to move forward with sports of any kind the rest of the year, empty stadiums or not.

I think we're going to have to reopen segments of society by June/July to avoid complete financial collapse and I think it would be easier to do that if we are selective about it all and keep unnecessary things closed. I hate saying it, but sports would probably fall in that unnecessary bucket. I'm open to arguments on why I'm wrong, and I hope the situation changes to make the argument invalid, but I can't see having tens of thousands of people gathering being a good idea before we have treatments and vaccines.

I'd love to see an economic breakdown on whether or not it would be worth it for sports leagues to play as a television product only. I feel like that's been an option talked about from the start, but I haven't seen anyone actually go into the numbers of what it would mean. I would absolutely sign up for that option if it were possible. I've missed sports like anyone, but this last week it's been especially acute. The time when baseball overlapped with March Madness plus the stretch run for the NBA/NHL plus good tennis and probably other things I'm forgetting was always a highlight of the entire year. There are obviously much, much bigger problems we're all dealing with, but it still majorly sucks.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Nowadays, it’s scoreboard-induced MAKE SOME NOISE!! MAKE SOME NOISE!
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

7. Likes:

Falls City Beer (03-30-2020)

I don't think it would work on TV, but for Radio I kind of wonder if you could add crowd noise to make it seem like a regular game from years past? It would be nice to at least be able to sit on my porch and listen to a game that sounds full of energy.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I think we're going to have to reopen segments of society by June/July to avoid complete financial collapse and I think it would be easier to do that if we are selective about it all and keep unnecessary things closed. I hate saying it, but sports would probably fall in that unnecessary bucket. I'm open to arguments on why I'm wrong, and I hope the situation changes to make the argument invalid, but I can't see having tens of thousands of people gathering being a good idea before we have treatments and vaccines.

I'd love to see an economic breakdown on whether or not it would be worth it for sports leagues to play as a television product only. I feel like that's been an option talked about from the start, but I haven't seen anyone actually go into the numbers of what it would mean. I would absolutely sign up for that option if it were possible. I've missed sports like anyone, but this last week it's been especially acute. The time when baseball overlapped with March Madness plus the stretch run for the NBA/NHL plus good tennis and probably other things I'm forgetting was always a highlight of the entire year. There are obviously much, much bigger problems we're all dealing with, but it still majorly sucks.
    I can't figure out how it wouldn't be worth it to not play versus play only in empty stadiums/arenas. Getting that TV money is better than getting no money, right? Maybe I'm missing something here - but assuming that "we" are going to decide that it's generally ok to play sports, how choosing to not play them because fans can't walk through the turnstile and can only watch on tv makes more sense than just not playing.

10. Likes:

kaldaniels (03-30-2020)

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I can't figure out how it wouldn't be worth it to not play versus play only in empty stadiums/arenas. Getting that TV money is better than getting no money, right? Maybe I'm missing something here - but assuming that "we" are going to decide that it's generally ok to play sports, how choosing to not play them because fans can't walk through the turnstile and can only watch on tv makes more sense than just not playing.
    Yes, the in-stadium attendance is a minority part of the game today anyway. The crowd keeps it real, and it would be weird without it, but it might work. They could probably do some creative promos: a lottery to pick nine fans for each game, for instance.

Otherwise, can you imagine the lines if every fan had to be tested before entering the park?

I mean it didn’t seem reputable but I saw an article floating the idea of shipping all NFL teams off to one isolated site where temporary fields would be set up just so they could get the season in. As in the whole NFL goes off to summer camp for the season and lives together. If there is a way to get the games on TV there is a wheelbarrow full of money to be made, crowd or no crowd.

I wonder if they could try and open the crowd a bit, but limit the size to say 1/4 or 1/3 capacity and do health screenings when you enter. You could also allow everyone to bring their own food and drinks in, no concessions or vendors passing around food. Basically only have the bathrooms open.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I’d love to see baseball played. But rosters are not a static thing and players get shuttled up and down from the minors. Plus guys going on and off the DL. Seems like there would be ample opportunities to get infected with COVID and then I can’t see them continuing to play.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

15. Likes:

Chip R (04-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I mean it didn’t seem reputable but I saw an article floating the idea of shipping all NFL teams off to one isolated site where temporary fields would be set up just so they could get the season in. As in the whole NFL goes off to summer camp for the season and lives together. If there is a way to get the games on TV there is a wheelbarrow full of money to be made, crowd or no crowd.
    Ratings for this would be huge and you could probably create loads of extra content around the situation for more products to sell to television. NFL crowds are a big part of the game, but at the same time it's already a television product.

This sounds weird, I realize, but I also wonder if they couldn't do things that would make it more normal for the at-home audience. Pipe in crowd noise, maybe even digitally add a crowd to the stands. This is all strange, might as well get weird in general.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Jim Edmonds has been hospitalized with what is likely the Covid:

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/...095745544?s=21
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I’d love to see baseball played. But rosters are not a static thing and players get shuttled up and down from the minors. Plus guys going on and off the DL. Seems like there would be ample opportunities to get infected with COVID and then I can’t see them continuing to play.
    To your point, I did say that assuming we get to the point that we are going to play.....

But I agree with your point. It's tough for me to sit here and say that even without fans, there's still going to be real risks to the players transmitting it within the facilities. Maybe these new blood tests we're hearing about that can give results quickly (I believe it was a matter of like 15 minutes) could be utilized daily, and you can't enter the facility unless you pass that test, could be the answer? I don't really know if that would make enough of a difference because I'm definitely not a doctor - I'm just talking out loud here.

19. Likes:

Roy Tucker (03-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Jim Edmonds has been hospitalized with what is likely the Covid:

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/...095745544?s=21
    Draw your own conclusions.

https://www.bravotv.com/the-real-hou...ng-coronavirus

21. Likes:

Chip R (04-01-2020)

Turn Off Ads?