Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

I am starting to think there will be no season.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-22-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I am starting to think there will be no season.
    In that case, does Castellanos opt out?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    In that case, does Castellanos opt out?
    He'd have to be crazy to opt out. So would anyone.

You think teams were stingy the last few years in free agency? How's it going to look without knowing how fans or businesses are going to respond if and when we can get back to normal? Teams are going to be real conservative with their money - they aren't paying "market price" in 2021 if there's nothing at all to base what things could actually look like. I'd be surprised if anyone opts out even if they play HALF of a season in 2020 for the exact same reason.

6. Likes:

M2 (03-22-2020),Old school 1983 (03-22-2020)

I actually think the 2021 season is in danger. I think this year is long gone. Until there is a vaccine I just don't see large gatherings being allowed, and I doubt there is a vaccine until the middle of next year.

I think they will open up restaurants and the like by mid-summer this year just because they basically have to for the economy. But, I think sporting events will be the last thing.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I actually think the 2021 season is in danger. I think this year is long gone. Until there is a vaccine I just don't see large gatherings being allowed, and I doubt there is a vaccine until the middle of next year.

I think they will open up restaurants and the like by mid-summer this year just because they basically have to for the economy. But, I think sporting events will be the last thing.
    I think they’d play to empty stadiums at that point then. If they went two entire years without playing, that would do so much damage to the league, I think the economic loss of playing without fans in the seats would be preferable to back to back season cancellations.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Ahh, that's Cougars Feeling Randy, which tends to rise with higher national pinot grigio consumption.
    Hoho. I have a story about a friend of my ex-wife’s mother who took me out for a drink “to lend a sympathetic ear” to talk about my divorce. Turned out she wanted to lend a lot more than that.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post

Why so pessimistic friend?

I believe we’ll have baseball in 2020. Maybe empty stadiums to start. But they aren’t going to punt the whole season. And the entire economy isn’t going to lay down for 6 months. We have to get back to work after taking sone time to delay the spread.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    As I spend more time contemplating how to do an abbreviated season, I'm liking the idea of four divisions organized geographically. No NL/no AL. Make up some new and interesting combinations. Play a 42-game schedule, you only play inside your division (8-team divisions play six times against each opponent, 7-team divisions play seven times against each opponent). 4th and 5th place in each division make the play-in game, then it's a 16-team playoff.
    Just for sake of debate I would not be in favor of modifying the divisions. The Reds (and other teams) have invested and strategized to compete against their division. This was the Reds year to strike in the central. Cubs, Cards, Brewers lost players and Reds added. Now if they have to compete with the Mets or Braves for a playoff spot that’s not what they planned for.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Why so pessimistic friend?

I believe we’ll have baseball in 2020. Maybe empty stadiums to start. But they aren’t going to punt the whole season. And the entire economy isn’t going to lay down for 6 months. We have to get back to work after taking sone time to delay the spread.
    I can only speak for myself, but I am pessimistic because I should be watching my 1 seed UD flyers today in person. Also, because I went to target the other to pick up a prescription for my wife and almost everyone in the store was on extreme edge and had a look on their face like they were prepared to fight for their life at the drop of a hat. And then I became even more pessimistic when I realized I had that same look on my face. And now I’m becoming paranoid of packages arriving at my house. This just totally sucks.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I can only speak for myself, but I am pessimistic because I should be watching my 1 seed UD flyers today in person. Also, because I went to target the other to pick up a prescription for my wife and almost everyone in the store was on extreme edge and had a look on their face like they were prepared to fight for their life at the drop of a hat. And then I became even more pessimistic when I realized I had that same look on my face. And now I’m becoming paranoid of packages arriving at my house. This just totally sucks.
    Have faith. We just need to slow the spread right now.

Yeah. I hear you. These are stressful times. Not to be a Pollyanna, but I’ve been trying hard to be positive and courteous when out at stores. If someone is in a hurry with their shopping cart, I smile and say “go ahead”. I thank the checkout and bagging people for their hard work. I make room for the people stocking shelves. I’ve been extra courteous when out driving (and if you know me, that’s a minor miracle). I’ve been texting and calling my kids every day. I’ve been reaching out daily to my WFH work team. I figure I can’t solve the worlds problems but I can be a positive influence with all the people that are in my life, family, friend, and work.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-22-2020),Old school 1983 (03-23-2020),Redsfaithful (03-22-2020)

The signs I see point to no baseball in 2020. Basketball is already gone. I just hope there's a way to salvage football

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Sounds like a lot of anxiety my man, tbh. I’m going through a lot of it myself right now a lot of the time, but it’s helped to look for the reasons to feel positive.

If it makes you feel better, everyone down here is acting a little too normal lol, beyond buying way more TP than they need.
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 03-22-2020 at 12:27 PM.

They played during WW2, they will play again. Baseball is a big business it won't pack up and go home.

Seems like too many people have wrapped themselves in a reality based on the over abundance of dystopian tv/films that have swallowed the entertainment business the past 20 years. People are better than this virus, science is better than this virus. Hope is better than fear.

I'm voting for hope, it's easier to lean on when you need help getting out of bed in the morning.

19. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (03-23-2020),bucksfan2 (03-31-2020),cumberlandreds (03-22-2020),Old school 1983 (03-23-2020),Redsfaithful (03-22-2020),Rojo (03-27-2020),Roy Tucker (03-22-2020),Wonderful Monds (03-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Yeah. I hear you. These are stressful times. Not to be a Pollyanna, but I’ve been trying hard to be positive and courteous when out at stores. If someone is in a hurry with their shopping cart, I smile and say “go ahead”. I thank the checkout and bagging people for their hard work. I make room for the people stocking shelves. I’ve been extra courteous when out driving (and if you know me, that’s a minor miracle). I’ve been texting and calling my kids every day. I’ve been reaching out daily to my WFH work team. I figure I can’t solve the worlds problems but I can be a positive influence with all the people that are in my life, family, friend, and work.
    I'm keeping a positive attitude as well. I've seen a lot of folks working hard to help each other out. One of my local breweries offered free beer delivery to my neighborhood today. I have plenty of beer, but I ordered some more because I want to help out my locals. Sure, I know some folks who went out and stocked up on guns and ammo, expecting society to break down. But then, they've been claiming society is going to break down since 2008. And the runs on things like TP and bread have been annoying. But by and large, I've seen a lot of people being nice to each other while keeping social distance. I think we'll make it past this and things will be okay. My brother lives in Japan. Right now, they're doing distance learning and sporting events have been curtailed, but stores and restaurants are still open, and people are still getting out and doing things, and they haven't had near the outbreak that other countries have had. But then, he admits he's not sure if it's just because they aren't testing for it or if it's because the Japanese are just more fastidious and better at social distancing than we are. Who knows for sure.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

21. Likes:

Chip R (04-01-2020),Redsfaithful (03-22-2020),Roy Tucker (03-22-2020)

Turn Off Ads?