Turn Off Ads?
Page 36 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well, right now, I think it's the baseball player and I don't think it's all that close. And that doesn't even consider the fact that the baseball player isn't just risking his health and potential life simply by playing the game right now.
    Interesting. I strongly disagree. Basically 100% of D1 & pro RBs will end up with some degree of CTE. The odds of getting COVID-19 even when in contact with a carrier, while following the correct precautions are not very high. The odds of COVID-19 being a serious health issue for a person in the age range of a MLB player without an underlying condition is in the 0.x-1.x% range.

The risk for the players is very, very low. The point that the ancillary personnel would also be at risk is a much stronger argument, imo.

If this is cleared by the CDC & NIH, who have access to orders of magnitude better data than we do, I don't see any problem with this. The devil will be in the details, and I am sure the CDC & NIH will have plenty to say about the details.

jvs

2. Turn Off Ads?

https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...f-america/ohio

I posed this in a different thread. It sheds some light on where we are in this pandemic and where we are going.

There is going to need to be some agreement, which I have no idea what it will be, and think to start off we will need some testing in order to allow things to be played. But I think sports will start to be played (or practiced) in late June into July.

4. Likes:

JFLegal (04-07-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PTjvs View Post
    Interesting. I strongly disagree. Basically 100% of D1 & pro RBs will end up with some degree of CTE. The odds of getting COVID-19 even when in contact with a carrier, while following the correct precautions are not very high. The odds of COVID-19 being a serious health issue for a person in the age range of a MLB player without an underlying condition is in the 0.x-1.x% range.

The risk for the players is very, very low. The point that the ancillary personnel would also be at risk is a much stronger argument, imo.

If this is cleared by the CDC & NIH, who have access to orders of magnitude better data than we do, I don't see any problem with this. The devil will be in the details, and I am sure the CDC & NIH will have plenty to say about the details.

jvs
    Cool. Now let's talk about the 75 other people that have to be involved on a daily basis who aren't the players. What about all of them? Dusty Baker isn't exactly at his health peak these days. Neither are most of the coaches/mangers/team doctors who have to be there. What about the security guys? How about the bus drivers? How about the hotel staff? What about the barebones media people that need to show up to put the game on tv and radio?

This is so much more than just the players. They get to make the decision - but their decision effects so many other people, and it's people that are at far more risk than they are, and aren't getting paid anything remotely close to it for their "sacrifice" and or risk to their health.

6. Likes:

icehole3 (04-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I know we all want baseball back and I know these proposals that are being floated are just proposals. But I think it's very selfish to have sports while this still rages on. They can play baseball in Arizona but a great amount of businesses can't re-open? I'm not so sure right now I'd trust public health officials when it seems that what they say is designed to not make one person angry.
    I don't disagree, but I think that they key thing you said here is that these are just proposals. If MLB announced that spring training is beginning next week and the season begins in 3 weeks, almost all (if not all) of us would say that's a horrible idea, very dangerous, and even unfair.

None of us know what the world is going to look like in a month or two months. Planning ahead for what might be feasible is a good idea, in my opinion. I reserve judgment until they announce if/when they will start playing games.

I think some people here object to baseball being played at all this year, so no plan sounds like a good idea to them. I understand that, even if I don't agree.

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-07-2020),KYRedsFan (04-08-2020),Wonderful Monds (04-07-2020)

I hope not.

This is incredibly stupid. It's incredibly selfish. It's incredibly greedy.
    you forgot "in my opinion."

10. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (04-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    you forgot "in my opinion."
    I didn't, though, because it's a fact. Followed by another one. And then another one.

I didn't, though, because it's a fact. Followed by another one. And then another one.
    no, it's just your opinion. nothing you said was factual.

Cool. Now let's talk about the 75 other people that have to be involved on a daily basis who aren't the players. What about all of them? Dusty Baker isn't exactly at his health peak these days. Neither are most of the coaches/mangers/team doctors who have to be there. What about the security guys? How about the bus drivers? How about the hotel staff? What about the barebones media people that need to show up to put the game on tv and radio?

This is so much more than just the players. They get to make the decision - but their decision effects so many other people, and it's people that are at far more risk than they are, and aren't getting paid anything remotely close to it for their "sacrifice" and or risk to their health.
    Well as long as you hit the CF first and SS second, Dusty could manage from home.

We will come out of this quarantine with all kind of risks out there. We live in a society where Dr offices are busy year round. During flu season people continue to congregate in large masses. When things return to normal, Covid19 will still be out there, but people will gather in mass for anything and everything. When that is no one knows, but it will happen.

We will have better treatment tomorrow than we do today. And it will continue to increase each and every day. When the final numbers are released, I think we will be shocked at the number of people who actually have had the virus and didn't know.

14. Likes:

Chip R (04-08-2020)

Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one and everyone thinks everyone else's is stupid looking.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    They should have just put out a statement that said, "Hey, remember baseball?"
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-07-2020),NebraskaRed (04-07-2020),westofyou (04-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one and everyone thinks everyone else's is stupid looking.
    My belly button really is stupid looking, though.

19. Likes:

Boston Red (04-07-2020),icehole3 (04-07-2020),Roy Tucker (04-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    no, it's just your opinion. nothing you said was factual.
    This is incorrect. Even if I concede that the "it's stupid, it's selfish, it's greedy" part of it - it's a fact that I hope not part is a fact.

I'm in a mood today. It's been crappy. I should have logged off of the internet hours ago.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    They should have just put out a statement that said, "Hey, remember baseball?"
    I kind of admire their ability to put out a statement that says nothing at all.

When baseball comes back, the catcher will not be the only player wearing a mask.

23. Likes:

GAC (04-08-2020)

This is incorrect. Even if I concede that the "it's stupid, it's selfish, it's greedy" part of it - it's a fact that I hope not part is a fact.

I'm in a mood today. It's been crappy. I should have logged off of the internet hours ago.
    i hear you man. we're all on edge these days. i wonder why? let's stay strong and hopefully we will have our "new normal" here in a couple months or so.

25. Likes:

icehole3 (04-07-2020)

Turn Off Ads?