Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 482

Thread: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

  1. #46
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    12,966

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Sounds like a lot of anxiety my man, tbh. I’m going through a lot of it myself right now a lot of the time, but it’s helped to look for the reasons to feel positive.

    If it makes you feel better, everyone down here is acting a little too normal lol, beyond buying way more TP than they need.
    I have anxiety for sure, I’m hanging in there but I have moments where I am just struggling. Thank god for my wife and kids.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    They played during WW2, they will play again. Baseball is a big business it won't pack up and go home.

    Seems like too many people have wrapped themselves in a reality based on the over abundance of dystopian tv/films that have swallowed the entertainment business the past 20 years. People are better than this virus, science is better than this virus. Hope is better than fear.

    I'm voting for hope, it's easier to lean on when you need help getting out of bed in the morning.
    Science is saying this will probably go on for 18 months.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    49,554

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I have anxiety for sure, I知 hanging in there but I have moments where I am just struggling. Thank god for my wife and kids.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Science is saying this will probably go on for 18 months.
    18 months isn't a lifetime.

  4. #48
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    8,646

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I have anxiety for sure, I’m hanging in there but I have moments where I am just struggling. Thank god for my wife and kids.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Science is saying this will probably go on for 18 months.
    It’ll be around in the sense that the virus will be around for that long, but we’ll have ways of dealing with it before then that’ll help immensely even before we get a vaccine. There’s those couple of anti-virals that have been pretty successful in certain areas, we’ll end up building some kind of herd immunity during that time as well. Things like that.

    They’re already playing baseball in Korea. China is opening their stores back up and things like that. Japan has been trucking along mostly as normal the entire time. We’ll get it together sooner than later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

  5. #49
    Haunted by walks
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Syracuse
    Posts
    9,207

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    I知 no expert, but I figure baseball痴 best chance is a half season beginning about July 1, and we値l know that by June 1. Otherwise, maybe some odd late summer getting-ready-for-expanded-playoffs series of games. If not one of those, then wait till next year.

  6. #50
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    27,113

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    The number of unknown unknowns is staggering. This stuff could (though probably won’t) wrap up in 4 weeks. It could come in waves and intermittently haunt us for over a year (seems fairly likely given lax response overall). Anyone acting as if they know is a charlatan. That’s the source of the anxiety. Understandably.

  7. #51
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    8,646

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The number of unknown unknowns is staggering. This stuff could (though probably won’t) wrap up in 4 weeks. It could come in waves and intermittently haunt us for over a year (seems fairly likely given lax response overall). Anyone acting as if they know is a charlatan. That’s the source of the anxiety. Understandably.
    Yeah nobody knows and it’s uncomfortable, but I’m gonna push back against the “so therefore the pessimistic scenario is more likely” conclusion you’ve drawn here. There are reasons to believe we’ll be able to address this fairly effectively at some point at the very least sooner than that. Beyond that, the whole point of all this was never to make it go away or contain it, we’re basically releasing it in a controlled manner through the population so the hospitals can deal with it.

    And a lax response would lead to it being over more quickly anyway, it would lead to more deaths and we’d end up like Italy, but it would run its course more quickly and the curve would come all at once basically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

  8. #52
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    27,113

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Yeah nobody knows and it’s uncomfortable, but I’m gonna push back against the “so therefore the pessimistic scenario is more likely” conclusion you’ve drawn here. There are reasons to believe we’ll be able to address this fairly effectively at some point at the very least sooner than that. Beyond that, the whole point of all this was never to make it go away or contain it, we’re basically releasing it in a controlled manner through the population so the hospitals can deal with it.

    And a lax response would lead to it being over more quickly anyway, it would lead to more deaths and we’d end up like Italy, but it would run its course more quickly and the curve would come all at once basically.
    I’m not drawing the worst case conclusion. There are much worse. Mine is pretty likely given the facts—slow response—and the underlying desire to return the economy to normality. I suspect they’ll try to get some of the season in. But that the disease will rebound some later in year. I think they’ll probably do a shortened season and finish it. But I’m just spitballing.

  9. #53
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    12,966

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    18 months isn't a lifetime.
    It is two seasons of baseball
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  10. #54
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    8,646

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I’m not drawing the worst case conclusion. There are much worse. Mine is pretty likely given the facts—slow response—and the underlying desire to return the economy to normality. I suspect they’ll try to get some of the season in. But that the disease will rebound some later in year. I think they’ll probably do a shortened season and finish it. But I’m just spitballing.
    It’s only pretty likely if you selectively pick the evidence that suggests that’s our most likely outcome. Like I said earlier, there’s a lot of equally compelling evidence to suggest we’ll end up with the most preferable result. Beyond what I already mentioned, if it does rebound we’ll have much greater testing capabilities and therapies to deal with it at that point. Even putting that aside, Fauci and multiple other doctors and researchers have stated that a major recurrence is unlikely anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

  11. #55
    Haunted by walks
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Syracuse
    Posts
    9,207

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    I think there will be a clamor to end the lockdowns sooner rather than later, and that might not be necessarily such a good thing. It seems like it値l be a bumpy reopening: some signs of progress, open up a little, relief but the return of cases, tighten up until more progress, etc. It also seems like baseball and other entertainments will be later to come on line than other social needs. (Trying to keep a baseball theme in my answers here.)

  12. #56
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    49,554

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It is two seasons of baseball
    WORST---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------BEST

    Some choose to sit firmly on the left, some choose to sit firmly on the right

    I choose to sit in the middle

  13. #57
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    27,113

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    It’s only pretty likely if you selectively pick the evidence that suggests that’s our most likely outcome. Like I said earlier, there’s a lot of equally compelling evidence to suggest we’ll end up with the most preferable result. Beyond what I already mentioned, if it does rebound we’ll have much greater testing capabilities and therapies to deal with it at that point. Even putting that aside, Fauci and multiple other doctors and researchers have stated that a major recurrence is unlikely anyway.
    I don’t think there’s enough evidence to say either way. That’s my point. I have *my* spitballing guess but I don’t have any clue if it’s likely. Anyone saying this or that is more likely is shooting in the dark. Entirely too many unknowns.

  14. #58
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    12,966

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I think there will be a clamor to end the lockdowns sooner rather than later, and that might not be necessarily such a good thing. It seems like it’ll be a bumpy reopening: some signs of progress, open up a little, relief but the return of cases, tighten up until more progress, etc. It also seems like baseball and other entertainments will be later to come on line than other social needs. (Trying to keep a baseball theme in my answers here.)
    I agree. They are going to open restaurants and bars entirely too early and get a bunch of at risk people killed.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  15. #59
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    8,646

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I don’t think there’s enough evidence to say either way. That’s my point. I have *my* spitballing guess but I don’t have any clue if it’s likely. Anyone saying this or that is more likely is shooting in the dark. Entirely too many unknowns.
    I feel you. I would say that while there are a lot of unknowns, there is enough evidence to make a somewhat educated guess. We can see what is working in other countries. Researchers who know more than I do about it are making these kind of projections. That’s all I’m saying. I don’t believe we are completely 100% in the dark.

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I agree. They are going to open restaurants and bars entirely too early and get a bunch of at risk people killed.
    I think at some point we’re going to have to have a mixed quarantine guideline. The elderly and at risk will be directed to maintain social distancing, while things like that reopen for everyone else. There are a few epidemiologists advocating for that approach. The economy is going to kind of demand that though otherwise we’ll be looking at Great Depression levels of unemployment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

  16. Likes:

    KYExtemper (03-23-2020)

  17. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    2,184

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I think at some point we池e going to have to have a mixed quarantine guideline. The elderly and at risk will be directed to maintain social distancing, while things like that reopen for everyone else. There are a few epidemiologists advocating for that approach. The economy is going to kind of demand that though otherwise we値l be looking at Great Depression levels of unemployment.
    I think you're right Monds. This country won't lay down for 18 months waiting on a vaccine or even 6 months. We can't. People won't. They need to work, our kids need to be educated, and businesses and manufacturers need to produce. Slow the spread for awhile (a month or two?) and then we've gotta get going again with caution for the vulnerable.

  18. Likes:

    Falls City Beer (03-22-2020),westofyou (03-22-2020),Wonderful Monds (03-22-2020)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator