Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

A segmented return for those who are at low risk makes sense. Geography will matter too. From a professional sports standpoint it seems likely we will be waiting a long time for NYC to return to normal which makes me think that baseball in 2020 is starting to look unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 1009 2012 View Post
    A segmented return for those who are at low risk makes sense. Geography will matter too. From a professional sports standpoint it seems likely we will be waiting a long time for NYC to return to normal which makes me think that baseball in 2020 is starting to look unlikely.
    I saw a heat map for where it might get bad (everywhere if we do nothing, but two odd spots where it seems likely to blossom no matter what are southeast South Dakota and some rural sections of central Colorado (Gunnison County). The distribution pattern is going to be truly bizarre.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

The reason I see it ruining 2 full seasons is because what happens when a player on a team gets it, and let's say it spreads to a bunch of the other players? If there isn't a vaccine this could happen (and at some point most assuredly would happen) in 2021. What do you do? Call up the AAA team and have them play games in place?

I just don't see baseball being able to really return until 2022.

I’m fairly hopeful on the vaccine front. Lots of worldwide resources will be thrown at the problem. Only time will tell though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    The reason I see it ruining 2 full seasons is because what happens when a player on a team gets it, and let's say it spreads to a bunch of the other players? If there isn't a vaccine this could happen (and at some point most assuredly would happen) in 2021. What do you do? Call up the AAA team and have them play games in place?

Someone tell me what I'm missing here, because I hope there's something I haven't thought of - how do you have sports before a vaccine unless 0% of players ever get infected? Because the second a player gets infected you have to remove a team entirely for 14 days. And you can't do that in any sport and keep to any sort of real season schedule.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

We cannot handle a long term shutdown. Things will start to get real next week when a large number of people will miss their first paycheck. Most of these people will be low paid service workers that live paycheck to paycheck. Then it will start up the food chain and it will hit the middle class who will be laid off. The government does have a limit to how much money they can print before hyper inflation sets in. Even these multimillionaire athletes will be hit because they can't make the payments on their three houses and 5 Ferraris.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post

Let's say that's how it plays out, just for the sake of discussion.

Do you come back with the same league structure or do you take the intervening two seasons to institute a raft of changes to the league structure and rules? A lot of stuff has been kicked around in recent years. Also, proposing changes would garner some media attention. How a league makes news with no games to play is going to become a major issue.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    We cannot handle a long term shutdown.
    I suggest you get ready to handle it, it's coming. You don't just shut down the world economy in an instant and hope it starts back up at 100% weeks later. A third of the world's stock market value is gone, and there is no reason to expect we won't lose more this coming week. -12% GDP growth or worse in the 2nd quarter should be expected at this point. 20% unemployment in a few months is not unrealistic. All of this will reverberate throughout American households driving demand down for the future.

As far as the question of the thread goes, I think when it comes back it'll be very much the same as it was. And people will rejoice. When that will be is a completely different question.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I suggest you get ready to handle it, it's coming. You don't just shut down the world economy in an instant and hope it starts back up at 100% weeks later. A third of the world's stock market value is gone, and there is no reason to expect we won't lose more this coming week. -12% GDP growth or worse in the 2nd quarter should be expected at this point. 20% unemployment in a few months is not unrealistic. All of this will reverberate throughout American households driving demand down for the future.
    It’s not possible. Depending on what you mean by long term. Past 2-3 months people won’t let it happen anymore.

Past that point, people are going to end up homeless en masse. There would be a major suicide boom - I know I’m already struggling after one week, and I’m pushing myself to make it 2 months max. There would be widespread social unrest.

I know this is a relatively dark thing to say, but this is a virus that by and large kills the very old and sick in massive numbers, and mostly everyone else makes it. People are not going to be willing to make the trade off of ruining their lives to buy an extra year or two of life for the people who aren’t making it right now. It just won’t happen.

Like that 9 months nonsense Cuomo was spouting was hilarious. NYC would be ashes by the end of that point. Not gonna happen.

12. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-23-2020),Falls City Beer (03-22-2020),Rojo (03-27-2020),texasdave (03-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    It’s not possible. Depending on what you mean by long term. Past 2-3 months people won’t let it happen anymore.
    People aren't going to have a choice. You can't go to a job you don't have anymore.

People won't be homeless, because you're going to see hundreds of billions of dollars in subsidies coming down the track.

And you are incorrect with your statement "mostly everyone else makes it".

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post

Past that point, people are going to end up homeless en masse. There would be a major suicide boom - I know I’m already struggling after one week, and I’m pushing myself to make it 2 months max. There would be widespread social unrest.

I know this is a relatively dark thing to say, but this is a virus that by and large kills the very old and sick in massive numbers, and mostly everyone else makes it. People are not going to be willing to make the trade off of ruining their lives to buy an extra year or two of life for the people who aren’t making it right now. It just won’t happen.

Like that 9 months nonsense Cuomo was spouting was hilarious. NYC would be ashes by the end of that point. Not gonna happen.
    There is absolutely no way that massive shutdowns will continue beyond 8 weeks, advisable or not. It may start back piecemeal, but people will return to work. Again, whether that’s advisable is totally separate question.

15. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-23-2020),Rojo (03-27-2020),Sea Ray (03-22-2020),texasdave (03-22-2020),Wonderful Monds (03-22-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

People aren't going to have a choice. You can't go to a job you don't have anymore.

People won't be homeless, because you're going to see hundreds of billions of dollars in subsidies coming down the track.

I’m saying people won’t let it get to that point in the first place. If we’re still into this in 2 months indefinitely with no end in sight, there will be riots and people will be saying to get it over with already.

Well if by more than 50% then yes, most do make it. And the economy is not going to crater like the Great Depression or even the Great Recession.

You guys carry on. I think what your spouting is foolish, the economy is going to crater - and every economist in the world is saying that right now.

But my comment is distracting from the point of the thread, which I shouldn't be doing. I apologize for that.

So, I'll make that my last comment in the thread.

Hunker down everyone, be safe - don't be stupid. The country will eventually come through all of this.

Turn Off Ads?