Turn Off Ads?
Page 65 of 68 FirstFirst ... 15556162636465666768 LastLast

Thread: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Society must move on from something that we are still in the middle of?
    Did you stay stuck on one year old ?

Or did you move on to 2 years old day by day ?

Did it happen incrementally, or all of a sudden ?

No different with the virus.

Pick the date you want when the virus was actually spawned, but I will pick Dec. 11th for ease. The society dealing with it just turned 5 months old. We are incrementally adjusting to it day by day, and society is moving on. I guess you can try to stay stuck at whatever age you are, but I don't think any of us has a time machine yet. Baseball will happen as an incremental step through the pandemic whether you question moving "on from something that we are still in the middle of?" or not.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless Jeff View Post
    They are the ones taking the risk with their money. The owner of the company I work for has to worry about losing all of his capital - all I have to do is worry about losing my salary. Big difference.
    There is zero risk for a MLB owner. They have anti-trust exemption and a proven commodity. The Marlins are worth over a billion dollars.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Like usual, this debate keeps confusing "should they" with "will they."

Should I order a pizza right now? No

Will I? Yes
    Last edited by NebraskaRed; 05-11-2020 at 01:54 PM.

5. Likes:

JFLegal (05-11-2020),M2 (05-11-2020),RedTeamGo! (05-11-2020)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ic/3110312001/

50% revenue shared, 82 game season. They begin negotiations tomorrow.

7. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-11-2020),Ron Madden (05-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ic/3110312001/

50% revenue shared, 82 game season. They begin negotiations tomorrow.
    The proposal is expected to be rejected by the players, who are fearful owners would then push to implement a salary cap during negotiations on a new collective bargaining agreement to replace the one that expires Dec. 1, 2021. The players’ compensation has never been tied to club revenues.
    Interesting. The players risk not being paid anything this year. For the sound of it the players want to be paid in full for the 81 games or whatever they play. Owners can't do that if the stands are empty. Owners aren't getting full revenue, why should the players? This isn't looking good for a restart.

I'd expect the other side to reject the initial offer. The players obviously have a lot of power here. Why not try and get more.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I'd expect the other side to reject the initial offer. The players obviously have a lot of power here. Why not try and get more.
    I doubt the owners can afford to give them any more.

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-11-2020)

California Gov. Gavin Newsom said he had talked with Rob Manfred and said MLB had promised not to hold any games in violation of state guidelines. Newsom said he'd like to see games, even fan-free, but no guarantees. "We'll see where we will be in July," Newsom said.
    California is going to screw this up for us, aren’t they?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    California is going to screw this up for us, aren’t they?
    I can't think of a more constructive response to this post than a roll eyes emoji.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless Jeff View Post
    Agreed completely. Even if a player makes $1 million a year for four years (and gets some pension as well), I think he can live fairly comfortably. And here's a novel idea. He can get a job after he is out of baseball and work the rest of his life just like the rest of us have to do. I don't understand all the hate toward owners and what they are making. They are the ones taking the risk with their money. The owner of the company I work for has to worry about losing all of his capital - all I have to do is worry about losing my salary. Big difference.
    The people expressing hate towards the owners probably understand the difference between a person who owns a small business and a person who owns an MLB team...

Sean Doolittle expressed some concerns I think we'll hear from the players' union over the coming days:

Obi-Sean Kenobi Doolittle
    @whatwouldDOOdo
    Bear with me, but it feels like we've zoomed past the most important aspect of any MLB restart plan: health protections for players, families, staff, stadium workers and the workforce it would require to resume a season. Here are some things I'll be looking for in the proposal...
    1:57 PM · May 11, 2020
    https://twitter.com/whatwouldDOOdo/status/1259920490992410626
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 05-11-2020 at 04:56 PM.

15. Likes:

M2 (05-11-2020),Redsfaithful (05-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I doubt the owners can afford to give them any more.
    The players side is

You don't recalibrate and pay us more when a windfall (like BAM being sold to Disney) happens, but now that there is a downside you want us to share the burden. And we already have => prorated by games. Needs to go both ways.

That will be their position.

And as to whether the Owners can afford it - that isn't the question, because everyone of them can. They have vast personal fortunes. The question should be framed as - can they afford it within the profitability of the baseball team.

And it is not at all unheard of, for business owners to take money out of their personal savings account to float their businesses during hard times. I am sure there is probably a couple hundred million owners across the USA that have done that over the last few months.
    Last edited by jup; 05-11-2020 at 04:23 PM.

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-11-2020),Edd Roush (05-11-2020),NebraskaRed (05-11-2020),REDREAD (05-14-2020),Redsfaithful (05-12-2020),RedsManRick (05-11-2020)

Haunted by walks

Phil Hughes
    @PJHughes45
    ·
    I know everyone wants baseball back this year but players won’t be strong-armed into unsafe work conditions and unfair compensation

IMO, the players' concerns are all reasonable and more than anything this tells you how much we have failed to create a safe environment for Americans to return to work...

20. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (05-11-2020),Redsfaithful (05-12-2020),westofyou (05-11-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    IMO, the players' concerns are all reasonable and more than anything this tells you how much we have failed to create a safe environment for Americans to return to work...
    I do not agree that their "unfair compensation" concerns are reasonable. It is very tone deaf given the current economic climate to be posturing for more millions of dollars when the average American is scraping to get by.

I think the players should take what they can get from the owners and say that this will not be a precedent for the next CBA. They need to recognize their importance to the mental health of millions of Americans and contribute to the greater good.

Still waiting for someone to tell me why work environments are going to be less safe than all environments in society with everything either open or opening up in the next 2-3 weeks.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?