Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: How are you staying entertained in corona quarantine?

Re: How are you staying entertained in corona quarantine?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Ok, trying to get back to the spirit of the thread, during time spent away from work, I've been upgrading my 7.2.4 Atmos/DTS-X surround sound system and will be adding a SoundShaker amp and rumble units to my couch this weekend.

My wife uses the room directly below me to work from home and craft in her downtime, so I'm pretty sure that divorce is imminent...

That being said, after I get the shaker units in place, my first five movies will be Saving Private Ryan, Fury, Godzilla- King of Monsters, Cloverfield, and Kong- Skull Island. If my couch doesn't fall through the floor or turn to ash, I'll follow up with Dunkirk and San Andreas.

I live on the edge.
    Last of the Mohicans and Glory would sound epic.

2. Likes:

SteelSD (05-21-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Ok, trying to get back to the spirit of the thread, during time spent away from work, I've been upgrading my 7.2.4 Atmos/DTS-X surround sound system and will be adding a SoundShaker amp and rumble units to my couch this weekend.

My wife uses the room directly below me to work from home and craft in her downtime, so I'm pretty sure that divorce is imminent...

That being said, after I get the shaker units in place, my first five movies will be Saving Private Ryan, Fury, Godzilla- King of Monsters, Cloverfield, and Kong- Skull Island. If my couch doesn't fall through the floor or turn to ash, I'll follow up with Dunkirk and San Andreas.

I live on the edge.
    You will be more on the edge once you physically damage your hearing beyond repair.
    Last edited by North; 05-21-2020 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    You will be more on the edge once you physically damage your hearing beyond repair.
    My wife already thinks I've done that.

But I'm faking. Like I said, I live on the edge.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Last of the Mohicans and Glory would sound epic.
    Good recommendations. I don't own Glory, but I do have Last of the Mohicans socked away somewhere...

I might go with Gravity though to give the wife a break. The Diamond Luxe edition audio probably has the most subtle cool directional Atmos audio out there. In all honesty, I have to switch back and forth between heavy audio effect films and heavy dialogue films to avoid the inevitable tromping up the stairs, knocking on my door, and pseudo-polite "turn that down" discussion. It'd be worse if I actually ran my subwoofers hot.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

My wife already thinks I've done that.

But I'm faking. Like I said, I live on the edge.
    Well, in that case, I'll recommend a couple of old flicks where you would want to amp up when the scenes show up. Give the 1964 movie "Zulu" a spin. Also, the fight scene from the John Wayne classic "McLintock!" is one of the best ever.

And the dance scene from the Marx Brother's Day at the Races, featuring the legendary dance troupe, Hellzapoppin. The entire performance of this classic has been chopped to pieces on YouTube by the moaning racism crowd. View the original flick and find the Gabriel scene with Harpo piping, the crowd following. What a great series of scenes.

Super late to this particular party, but we just got our first charcoal smoker, so I'm learning to cook various meats very slowly. This is a fun and rewarding new hobby.

9. Likes:

Boss-Hog (05-27-2020),Kingspoint (05-27-2020),North (05-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Super late to this particular party, but we just got our first charcoal smoker, so I'm learning to cook various meats very slowly. This is a fun and rewarding new hobby.
    To help you thru the learning curve, (1) read and watch anything by Aaron Franklin, then (2) go to Amazingribs.com and read Meathead Goldwyn’s treatise on The Stall, originally published 8/3014 and revised 3/2019.

Ribs seem to be easier than other meats. I have a Green Egg and am a huge fan of Car Wash Mike’s (RIP) ribs.

Smoked a 4 lb butt last weekend. More of a challenge than ribs, but doable.

Brisket is the holy grail. Practice, tweak, repeat and most importantly, embrace the fact that you are going to churn out many items that are less than perfect. But stick with it. The results can and will be glorious.

11. Likes:

Boston Red (06-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Steven Raichlen - if you don't know who he is google him. He will aid you in getting the best out of your new hobby.

13. Likes:

Boston Red (06-01-2020)

The recent protests have made clear-- this has all been bull****.

Just clearing the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Watch at least once a year. Walked by the house many times. Went to Astoria for their bi-centennial about eight years ago. Go there a couple times a year. Fantastic Maritime Museum.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Just finished making some seafood chowder that I'm freezing and taking with me on our 8-day trip to Newport, Oregon. The clams I used were jarred last week at Pacific Seafood Company, who reported Friday that 126 employees and contractors tested positive for COVID-19 (95% of them asymptomatic or presymptomatic), one third of their staff from their five facilities in Newport. We learned a long time ago that food is not a way to transfer the virus, so I guess I'm safe from being a carrier. We will avoid the public when we go there, but it will certainly be nice to finally do something. I need some me time.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Over the last few days I tore apart a deck, leaving just the support beams and joists, and then rebuilt everything else. And let me tell you - that was so much more difficult than building it from scratch. Every single screw on that deck was rusted out and unable to be unscrewed. The demolition process took up probably 75% of the time spent on the project.

One wild turn was when I burned out my jigsaw. That will happen and it's pretty old - I don't even remember when I got it, but it's been more than a decade. I sent my brother out with my CC to go buy one. He headed off to Home Depot and came back with the last one they had in stock that was what I wanted, but also under $120. As I pulled it out of the bag I saw the package and immediately said "this is a return". Pulled out my knife and cut the tape so I could open the box and sure enough, the jigsaw inside was covered in sawdust. Whatever - as long as it works I'm just going to use it. Put a blade in it and it's crooked as can be. Maybe I'm just a moron and I'm missing something that I'm supposed to be doing to set it right? So I go back to the back to get the instructions. I reach in and pull them out and, what the heck - these are covered in dried blood. Then I look closer - it's not even the manual for the jigsaw, it's a cabinet instruction guide. All of it goes back in the box and is returned, then my brother goes to Lowes to pick up one there. Took about 2 hours of wasted time to get all of this done, but once I had a working jigsaw things went smoothly from there.

I've got to go back this weekend and do a few little touch up things, but the deck is once again a non-safety hazard for the family and fully functional. The sun is a real nasty mother trucker and while I understand that it sustains all life, I kind of hate it right now. Here's to hoping I avoided the plague while out in the real world.

Turn Off Ads?