Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: How are you staying entertained in corona quarantine?

Re: How are you staying entertained in corona quarantine?

Watched a couple good Docu's on Theranos the lab testing fraud once valued at $9 Billion started by Elizabeth Holmes The degree of fraud, lying and danger to the public are truly astounding. I guarantee people died because of her and one of her biochemists committed suicide because of his guilt. She definitely should go to jai for a long time. One is on HBO and the other you can watch on ABC. Really fascinating stuff...

https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/th...silicon-valley

https://abc.com/shows/2020/episode-g...15-the-dropout
    Last edited by DocRed; 04-20-2020 at 12:42 PM.

2. Likes:

Rojo (05-13-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

A lot of old football and baseball games on you tube. I really miss those NFL intros for NBC with the funky jazzy Mod Squad themes from NBC mid 70s game of the week and nfl Sunday intro. The disco 1980-81 version.
    The CBS intro. You’re looking live at Soldier Field. And of course the real MNF and it’s pre intro and music with the bombastic Howard Costello making it sound as if was the only game that mattered.
    Watching the future of NFL rules with so many head shots and late hits when people are down but still being hit with the top of the helmets.

Reading a good detailed book on Napoleon.

6. Likes:

North (05-01-2020)

I won my first online poker tournament in probably a decade last night. I'd mostly gotten out of the game (particularly the online version), but with the quarantine I thought I'd give it another try. The buy-in was a buck, the tournament lasted about 4 hours, and I walked away with a cool $31. So not a very profitable use of time!

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-14-2020),Reds Fanatic (04-30-2020),Rojo (05-13-2020)

Not quite entertained, but how we have kept occupied:

Sold our townhouse and bought a mid-century modern ranch 3/27. That's several weeks of packing prior to the move. Then the move. Then 3 weeks of unpacking and tackling lots of projects around the new place.

Sun 4/19 I hung all of the paintings, photos and artwork on the walls, making the new place feel like home for the first time.

At 1:15 am on 4/20, a 200 year old oak tree from county property behind our back fence came down through the dining room and master bedroom. It was 100% healthy. Just hit the tipping point of lots of weight on the canopy from wet leaves, wet soil and sloping terrain. Miraculously (and that's an understatement) we all made it out unharmed. Spent last week living in the home of friends and moved into a rental home last weekend. Current assessment is that we'll be out of the house for 8-10 months for the various repairs & renovations.

A couple feet in a different direction and my wife and I would have been crushed instantly in our sleep. A couple hours earlier or later and the tree would have come down on me while I was at my desk paying bills, working through email or participating in a Webex or Zoom meeting.

So much has been put back into perspective in our family in all of this. Hug your loved ones. Show compassion. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Do your best with what you have. Find a small way to make the world a better place. Every day.

10. Likes:

kaldaniels (05-01-2020),Kingspoint (05-12-2020),North (05-04-2020),RFS62 (05-01-2020),Roy Tucker (05-09-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I did my taxes this afternoon. Had to write a check that was a little lower than I expected, but not as low as I had hoped for. I'll take it, though.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Not quite entertained, but how we have kept occupied:

Sold our townhouse and bought a mid-century modern ranch 3/27. That's several weeks of packing prior to the move. Then the move. Then 3 weeks of unpacking and tackling lots of projects around the new place.

Sun 4/19 I hung all of the paintings, photos and artwork on the walls, making the new place feel like home for the first time.

At 1:15 am on 4/20, a 200 year old oak tree from county property behind our back fence came down through the dining room and master bedroom. It was 100% healthy. Just hit the tipping point of lots of weight on the canopy from wet leaves, wet soil and sloping terrain. Miraculously (and that's an understatement) we all made it out unharmed. Spent last week living in the home of friends and moved into a rental home last weekend. Current assessment is that we'll be out of the house for 8-10 months for the various repairs & renovations.

A couple feet in a different direction and my wife and I would have been crushed instantly in our sleep. A couple hours earlier or later and the tree would have come down on me while I was at my desk paying bills, working through email or participating in a Webex or Zoom meeting.

So much has been put back into perspective in our family in all of this. Hug your loved ones. Show compassion. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Do your best with what you have. Find a small way to make the world a better place. Every day.
    Wow! Best of luck dealing with all that. Hope you get back to it sooner rather than later.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Kind of somewhat related to entertainment, so can someone recommend a soundbar they’ve used? I want something like that that I can easily take out on the deck or in the yard and stream music into. I want to start having friends over to listen to some music and sit outside and give them plenty of room so they don’t feel uncomfortable, so I want something fairly portable. And by portable, I mean I don’t want to drag out an amp with surround sound speakers and all the wiring that I already have, so I thought a soundbar would be perfect. If it’s important, I’m using an iPod, so Bluetooth would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Kind of somewhat related to entertainment, so can someone recommend a soundbar they’ve used? I want something like that that I can easily take out on the deck or in the yard and stream music into. I want to start having friends over to listen to some music and sit outside and give them plenty of room so they don’t feel uncomfortable, so I want something fairly portable. And by portable, I mean I don’t want to drag out an amp with surround sound speakers and all the wiring that I already have, so I thought a soundbar would be perfect. If it’s important, I’m using an iPod, so Bluetooth would be perfect.
    https://www.jbl.com/bluetooth-speake...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jbl.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	16055
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

15. Likes:

BernieCarbo (05-12-2020)

Name:	0707181206.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	300.6 KB 
ID:	16056

Watched all of "Foyle's War". Great finale. 28 feature-length episodes spanning 14 years real-time for it's writers and two main actors. Finale has a 9.0 on IMDB. That's hard to get.

Just watched Toby Jones in "Marvelous", a movie about the true story of a British man who's positive attitude helped him overcome his "What difficulties?" as he made friends wherever he went.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

18. Likes:

EnglishRed (05-12-2020),klw (05-16-2020),North (05-12-2020)

I work as a paramedic in the UK so my time off is pretty limited!! I've played a lot of Football Manager and Out of the Park (after winning three WS with the Reds I tried the soul-destroying experience of turning around the Orioles), tried to stay active without the gym (Lorenzen's work out videos are pretty good!), and watched all the Reds games I missed last season on youtube from when I worked nights. Just finished Bill Bryson's One Summer 1927 book which covers Babe Ruth's HR race with Gehrig, become slightly addicted to Trevor Bauer's videos....tried to avoid social media...emptied our wine shelf.

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-12-2020)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I won my first online poker tournament in probably a decade last night. I'd mostly gotten out of the game (particularly the online version), but with the quarantine I thought I'd give it another try. The buy-in was a buck, the tournament lasted about 4 hours, and I walked away with a cool $31. So not a very profitable use of time!
    What site was it? I'd be interested in a dollar buy-in tournament.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    What site was it? I'd be interested in a dollar buy-in tournament.
    Betonline

Golf, now that our course is open again.

I walk 9 holes every day after work.

Saw this guy just off the 4th tee yesterday.

Name:	20200513_172410.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	358.7 KB 
ID:	16073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200513_172426.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	347.4 KB 
ID:	16074Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200513_172121.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	354.2 KB 
ID:	16072Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200513_172453.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	351.6 KB 
ID:	16075Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200513_174056.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	305.1 KB 
ID:	16076
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

24. Likes:

EnglishRed (05-14-2020)

Turn Off Ads?