Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Ohio State Football: Same Day, New Sermon

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: 2020 Ohio State Football: Same Day, New Sermon

I know it is just supposed to be Indiana. But I truly believe you guys just beat the 2nd best team in the B1G. And take solace that you scored 42 points in doing so. As far as the defensive short comings, take it as a learning experience against a very, very good passing team. Looking forward to next year's match-up.

2. Likes:

GAC (11-22-2020),kaldaniels (11-22-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, been a Buckeye fan forever, but why, looking back over recent history, Bowl and play-off games, does our secondary always turn up as our Achille's Heel, gets exposed big time? Going into yesterday's game we were 6th in B1G in Pass D (224 Yds/G). We are now 14th, dead last, giving up 291 Yds/G. Ryan Day cannot be a happy man this morning. The only positive I saw was that they got their running game going big time. But after that initial 2nd Half score, Fields and this offense struggled. Fields was holding onto the ball too long, looking for that big score. He didn't help his Heisman cause in that 2nd Half. Thankfully we turned turnovers to points, while the Hoosiers did not. Or it could have been a diferent game.

I look at the Buckeye's remaining schedule, and I see them going undefeated simply because our remaining opposition has far worse problems then OSU. But if this secondary isn't fixed, then it won't be a pretty CFP 1st round. Same ol' song and dance
    I just don’t get where you’re getting this secondary thing. They did a pretty dang good job containing Trevor Lawrence last year, including a scoop and score by an OSU defensive back that was called back in one of the worst calls I have ever seen. OSU has put more DBs into the 1st and 2nd round of the NFL draft than anyone else for like 10 years. They look bad this year, but your take on them over the past 2 decades or whatever is absurd. Obviously big plays happen when you play other elite teams. You’re usually playing the best QBs and WRs in the country.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Correct me if I'm wrong, been a Buckeye fan forever, but why, looking back over recent history, Bowl and play-off games, does our secondary always turn up as our Achille's Heel, gets exposed big time? Going into yesterday's game we were 6th in B1G in Pass D (224 Yds/G). We are now 14th, dead last, giving up 291 Yds/G. Ryan Day cannot be a happy man this morning. The only positive I saw was that they got their running game going big time. But after that initial 2nd Half score, Fields and this offense struggled. Fields was holding onto the ball too long, looking for that big score. He didn't help his Heisman cause in that 2nd Half. Thankfully we turned turnovers to points, while the Hoosiers did not. Or it could have been a diferent game.

I look at the Buckeye's remaining schedule, and I see them going undefeated simply because our remaining opposition has far worse problems then OSU. But if this secondary isn't fixed, then it won't be a pretty CFP 1st round. Same ol' song and dance
    Because of the evolution of football and the way it's officiated. All teams are having problems on the backend. It's why offenses are going away from the run. The powers that be have made passsing the ball easier.

6. Likes:

GAC (11-22-2020)

My biggest concern is the line play, on both sides. Really confused by the issues and ineffectiveness, the offensive line, in particular. They returned three All-American caliber players and added two five-stars to the lineup. Miller was supposed to be a star-in-the making. Petit-Frere has by all accounts exceeded expectations. Did not see issues with Myers or Davis coming. Miller has had his struggles.

The defensive line has got next to no pressure all season, and it seems the edge has been handled pretty easily thus far. Harrison, who I thought would explode this year, is getting a fairly small share of snaps. Tyreke Smith has never lived up to the billing. Cooper's a great vet but has limitations. It doesn't appear to me that this front four is going to be able to consistently pressure QBs this season (and if they do, it's coming right up the middle). Hope Coombs and Mattison can dial up some blitzes, because that secondary clearly is going to hold when QBs are given time.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I know it is just supposed to be Indiana. But I truly believe you guys just beat the 2nd best team in the B1G. And take solace that you scored 42 points in doing so. As far as the defensive short comings, take it as a learning experience against a very, very good passing team. Looking forward to next year's match-up.
    Indiana is a well coached team. They had a plan and they kept at it, but more than that when they got down 35-7, similar to Rutgers before, they just kept playing hard and that’s always a sign of good coaching. I don’t think it’ll be a problem for OSU again because the next 3 teams are either bad, not well coached, or both, but finishing games and staying focused in empty stadiums where you have to bring your own energy is important.

I’m very happy that OSU got this test. Most of the Big Ten passing attacks are garbage and getting to see this before Clemson or Alabama (but mostly Clemson) comes along I think will be very important. Most of what happened in the secondary was scheme issues, not talent issues so hopefully that can be fixed by coaching.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-23-2020),Assembly Hall (11-22-2020),BillDoran (11-22-2020),Revering4Blue (11-22-2020),Roy Tucker (11-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I just don’t get where you’re getting this secondary thing. They did a pretty dang good job containing Trevor Lawrence last year, including a scoop and score by an OSU defensive back that was called back in one of the worst calls I have ever seen. OSU has put more DBs into the 1st and 2nd round of the NFL draft than anyone else for like 10 years. They look bad this year, but your take on them over the past 2 decades or whatever is absurd. Obviously big plays happen when you play other elite teams. You’re usually playing the best QBs and WRs in the country.
    I'm not basing my assessment on one game from last year vs Clemson. While a much better and close game, I wouldn't say they contained Lawrence last year who accounted for almost 370 total yards in offense (260 passing) and 3 TDs - and they won the game. It's not absurb for any Buckeye fan, if they've been watching this team for any amount of time at all, to see that their nemesis over the years in big games, bowl games, play-offs, has been their secondary and giving up big plays (i.e. getting burned). Buckeye fans get tired of seeing these zone defenses where they're playing off the ball.

Hoosier QB Penix is good, and I mean no disrespect towards him .... but he's not that good. He's not considered elite.... almost 500 yds passing and 5 TDs yesterday .... and the funny thing about it all was that the Hoosiers could not run the ball PERIOD, negative yardage, so HC Day knew they were gonna throw the ball till Penix' arm fell off (51 Atts), yet he, and his defenswive coordinator couldn't figure out some way to slow this one dimensional team.

All I'm saying is if Day doesn't find a way to fix this, then if we do get in the CFP, it ain't gonna be pretty. But it's gotten to the point where defense - especially in the CFP - is irrelevant anymore.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-23-2020 at 05:22 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I'm not basing my assessment on one game from last year vs Clemson. While a much better and close game, I wouldn't say they contained Lawrence last year who accounted for almost 370 total yards in offense (260 passing) and 3 TDs - and they won the game. It's not absurb for any Buckeye fan, if they've been watching this team for any amount of time at all, to see that their nemesis over the years in big games, bowl games, play-offs, has been their secondary and giving up big plays (i.e. getting burned). Buckeye fans get tired of seeing these zone defenses where they're playing off the ball.

Hoosier QB Penix is good, and I mean no disrespect towards him .... but he's not that good. He's not considered elite.... almost 500 yds passing and 5 TDs yesterday .... and the funny thing about it all was that the Hoosiers could not run the ball PERIOD, negative yardage, so HC Day knew they were gonna throw the ball till Penix' arm fell off (51 Atts), yet he, and his defenswive coordinator couldn't figure out some way to slow this one dimensional team.

All I'm saying is if Day doesn't find a way to fix this, then if we do get in the CFP, it ain't gonna be pretty. But it's gotten to ther point where defense - especially in the CFP - is irrelevant anymore.
    Out of curiosity what are Penix's stats compared to Fields?

But yeah, Day had time to prepare for IU's aerial assualt.

Out of curiosity what are Penix's stats compared to Fields?

But yeah, Day had time to prepare for IU's aerial assualt.
    Fields has played 1 less game, so Penix has about 300 more yards and 1 more TD and 1 more INT, but if you go by QBR:

Penix - 69.4
    Fields - 93.7

Fields is an elite QB that will be a top 10 nfl draft pick and starting NFL Qb.

Penix is a solid college QB that will be lucky to make a practice squad. This should not be seen as an insult.

13. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-22-2020),GAC (11-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Fields has played 1 less game, so Penix has about 300 more yards and 1 more TD and 1 more INT, but if you go by QBR:

Penix - 69.4
    Fields - 93.7

Fields is an elite QB that will be a top 10 nfl draft pick and starting NFL Qb.

Penix is a solid college QB that will be lucky to make a practice squad. This should not be seen as an insult.
    I disagree with the sentiment that Penix would be lucky to make an NFL practice squad. He suffered a bad ACL injury in '18, and only played a partial year in '19. This is his first full season as a starter. And he has been very impressive. Lets see what he does as a senior next season. What other QB names, within the conference, stand out as a force next season?

To answer AH's question - He's always been in the running all year within the conference among the leading QBs. After Saturday's game, he's now leading in some categories, and he has an edge on Fields who, as you stated, has played one less game. But that shouldn't diminish what Penix has accomplished this year. That's not a fluke. And he definitely out-played Fields Saturday.

Again ... I know it may come off that way, possibly slighting Penix, but it's not my intention. He's a darn good QB with a positive upside. Who knows the future? I'm just saying that OSU's putrid pass D, now last in the conference, made him look far better then what he has shown overall in his brief career. Indiana throws the ball far more then OSU due to a lack in the running game, while OSU, even with a Fields, shows a more balanced offensive attack. Not until this season has Penix ever came close to 50 Pass ATTs. He's done it twice this year (Michigan, OSU). 51 ATTs Saturday vs the Bucks. Yet if there can be one "knock" on Penix it's his accuracy/completion %. He completed barely over half of those passes (27/51 52.9%). And the difference in the game was his INT ran back by Wade for a TD. Fields threw 3 INTs, made some bad decisions; but it didn't hurt them, they didn't give up points.

My main point on this one game was more of an indictment of Ohio State's secondary then of Penix.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I don’t think anyone is slighting Penix. I mean, a lot of his throws were just heaving it and the WR being wide open because the OSU DB or DB’s royally screwed up. Good on him for getting it done, but not many of his passes were ones where accuracy mattered. The one pass he tried to fit it into a narrow window was a pick-6.

16. Likes:

GAC (11-23-2020)

I disagree with the sentiment that Penix would be lucky to make an NFL practice squad. He suffered a bad ACL injury in '18, and only played a partial year in '19. This is his first full season as a starter. And he has been very impressive. Lets see what he does as a senior next season. What other QB names, within the conference, stand out as a force next season?

To answer AH's question - He's always been in the running all year within the conference among the leading QBs. After Saturday's game, he's now leading in some categories, and he has an edge on Fields who, as you stated, has played one less game. But that shouldn't diminish what Penix has accomplished this year. That's not a fluke. And he definitely out-played Fields Saturday.

Again ... I know it may come off that way, possibly slighting Penix, but it's not my intention. He's a darn good QB with a positive upside. Who knows the future? I'm just saying that OSU's putrid pass D, now last in the conference, made him look far better then what he has shown overall in his brief career. Indiana throws the ball far more then OSU due to a lack in the running game, while OSU, even with a Fields, shows a more balanced offensive attack. Not until this season has Penix ever came close to 50 Pass ATTs. He's done it twice this year (Michigan, OSU). 51 ATTs Saturday vs the Bucks. Yet if there can be one "knock" on Penix it's his accuracy/completion %. He completed barely over half of those passes (27/51 52.9%). And the difference in the game was his INT ran back by Wade for a TD. Fields threw 3 INTs, made some bad decisions; but it didn't hurt them, they didn't give up points.

My main point on this one game was more of an indictment of Ohio State's secondary then of Penix.
    Don't forget IU's receiving group. The Hoosiers are loaded at that position and they are damn good.

18. Likes:

GAC (11-24-2020)

Don't forget IU's receiving group. The Hoosiers are loaded at that position and they are damn good.
    This nails it IMHO. I think Penix has been good, not knocking him, but the real story with IU’s offense from what I have seen is an elite WR corps. The O-line seems to be pretty stout as well.

20. Likes:

GAC (11-24-2020)

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...gainst-indiana

This is a weekly film study column that 11W does that is consistently excellent and insightful. This week of course covers the secondary and what was going on against Indiana.

22. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-23-2020),Assembly Hall (11-23-2020),BillDoran (11-23-2020),GAC (11-24-2020),RedTeamGo! (11-23-2020),Roy Tucker (11-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...gainst-indiana

This is a weekly film study column that 11W does that is consistently excellent and insightful. This week of course covers the secondary and what was going on against Indiana.
    One fine piece...TY for posting it.

OSU players test positive. They'll make an announcement sometime today as to the status of the Illinois game. Don't see how they can avoid cancelling, but we'll see.

https://www.10tv.com/article/sports/...d-365a72ca9919
    Last edited by GAC; 11-26-2020 at 03:45 AM.

Turn Off Ads?