Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 126

Thread: 2020 Ohio State Football: Same Day, New Sermon

  1. #91
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,248

    Re: 2020 Ohio State Football: Same Day, New Sermon

    So Ohio State fans, what's your preference? The number three seed and play Clemson again or the four seed and play Bama?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #92
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    2,691

    Re: 2020 Ohio State Football: Same Day, New Sermon

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    So Ohio State fans, what's your preference? The number three seed and play Clemson again or the four seed and play Bama?
    I want to play Clemson so bad I can taste it.

  4. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (12-20-2020)

  5. #93
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,928

    Re: 2020 Ohio State Football: Same Day, New Sermon

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Under the radar, but big thumbs up to the walk on punter today. I was a bit nervous since Drue Chrisman is as close to a rock star as the position gets, but the new guy dropped two inside the 6. Someone may have just played himself into a 2021 scholarship.
    Whoa, those punts were good enough I totally missed it wasn't the starter kicking.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

  6. #94
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,546

    Re: 2020 Ohio State Football: Same Day, New Sermon

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    BYU
    Whoops. Well it was in the same state.

    Congrats to Tom on the Jaguars being in the drivers seat now for Trevor Lawrence.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  7. #95
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    14,278

    Re: 2020 Ohio State Football: Same Day, New Sermon

    It's pandemonium down here in Jax !!
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

  8. #96
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    14,278

    Re: 2020 Ohio State Football: Same Day, New Sermon

    With rumor from Rapaport that Jags are thinking about Urban, he speculates that Jags might turn to Day to if Urban declines. I think Day would be crazy to leave OSU now. He sits at top of College Football as the #2 guy now, with Saban being 69 years old and Day 28 years his junior.

    He has not missed a beat on recruiting. Hell, might even be better. And recruiting feeds on success. He should ride that train for at least 10 years. At least.

    PS - Has a 23-1 record. (Not sure he can make it 24-1, but if he did.....)
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-03-2021 at 03:30 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

  9. #97
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,546

    Re: 2020 Ohio State Football: Same Day, New Sermon

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    With rumor from Rapaport that Jags are thinking about Urban, he speculates that Jags might turn to Day to if Urban declines. I think Day would be crazy to leave OSU now. He sits at top of College Football as the #2 guy now, with Saban being 69 years old and Day 28 years his junior.

    He has not missed a beat on recruiting. Hell, might even bet better. And recruiting feeds on success. He should ride that train for at least 10 years. At least.
    Jacksonville has a very bright future for anyone looking to jump to the NFL. Two first round picks this year, young talent all across the roster, cap space, and a FA destination.

    Would Day defy conventional wisdom and bring “his guy” (Fields) over Lawrence first overall if this were to come about? It’s a moot point because Day would be nuts to leave Columbus with what is coming in.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  10. #98
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    460

    Re: 2020 Ohio State Football: Same Day, New Sermon

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    With rumor from Rapaport that Jags are thinking about Urban, he speculates that Jags might turn to Day to if Urban declines. I think Day would be crazy to leave OSU now. He sits at top of College Football as the #2 guy now, with Saban being 69 years old and Day 28 years his junior.

    He has not missed a beat on recruiting. Hell, might even bet better. And recruiting feeds on success. He should ride that train for at least 10 years. At least.

    PS - Has a 23-1 record. (Not sure he can make it 24-1, but if he did.....)
    Schefter reported that Day has no interest in the NFL right now


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #99
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,385

    Re: 2020 Ohio State Football: Same Day, New Sermon

    Been reading the offseason content, and one thing I'm befuddled by is the general acceptance that Josh Proctor will start as the deep safety. The thinking goes Sevyn Banks and Cameron Brown at corners, Ransom as the safety/slot corner and Proctor deep.

    The biggest weakness in last year's defense was the deep safety. There was just nobody able to fill that one-high role. Hooker looked poor (and he's in trouble anyways), and I thought there was a belief that Proctor didn't fit either and probably worked best closer to the line of scrimmage. I think they gave Williamson some snaps back there as well, but I don't think he staked a claim.

    I suppose I'm just confused why there's not more concern about sending Proctor back there again this year. He's got a world of talent, but I don't think he's a particularly good cover safety. Given the amount of talent on the roster, potential of the team and the glaring weaknesses in the defensive backfield, I'm surprised we haven't heard more names thrown around. It's obviously really early, and I'm sure we'll hear more talk, but I hope Proctor isn't just given the role on seniority alone.

  12. #100
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    14,771

    Re: 2020 Ohio State Football: Same Day, New Sermon

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Been reading the offseason content, and one thing I'm befuddled by is the general acceptance that Josh Proctor will start as the deep safety. The thinking goes Sevyn Banks and Cameron Brown at corners, Ransom as the safety/slot corner and Proctor deep.

    The biggest weakness in last year's defense was the deep safety. There was just nobody able to fill that one-high role. Hooker looked poor (and he's in trouble anyways), and I thought there was a belief that Proctor didn't fit either and probably worked best closer to the line of scrimmage. I think they gave Williamson some snaps back there as well, but I don't think he staked a claim.

    I suppose I'm just confused why there's not more concern about sending Proctor back there again this year. He's got a world of talent, but I don't think he's a particularly good cover safety. Given the amount of talent on the roster, potential of the team and the glaring weaknesses in the defensive backfield, I'm surprised we haven't heard more names thrown around. It's obviously really early, and I'm sure we'll hear more talk, but I hope Proctor isn't just given the role on seniority alone.
    I think it’s just a glaring weakness and he’s the best option. Who else is there?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  13. #101
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,210

    Re: 2020 Ohio State Football: Same Day, New Sermon

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think it’s just a glaring weakness and he’s the best option. Who else is there?
    I think the single high safety defense works well when you have the players, and you recruit to it. Its the defense Day likes and wants to play, and in his first year he had a loaded roster who could play that D. It helps when you have the #1 CB and #1 DE on the roster, as well as another first round CB and one of the better slot CB's in the country.

    I think Proctor is one of their best DB's and you want him in the game. I don't think the single high is the place for him to play, to be honest, he may be more of the "bullet." He may be undersized to play LB, but he can run and hit, which I think can work.

    One thing that gets lost with last year's defense is the lack of practice they got. They played a truncated 8 games, lost all of spring practice, the fall practice was a mess. The guys learning a new position didn't get the reps they needed. A full spring will do wonders for the defense, as well as an increased pass rush they should see this season. One thing I am interested in seeing is at what point does the B1G relax the covid protocols? Will it be when 75%+ get vaccinated? That may go a long way in returning to a regular type of practice/development.

  14. Likes:

    BuckeyeRed27 (04-01-2021),RedTeamGo! (04-01-2021)

  15. #102
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    2,691

    Re: 2020 Ohio State Football: Same Day, New Sermon

    I don’t think Proctor was all that bad. It was his first year starting and he was replacing a 3 year starter and captain that started in the NFL as a rookie, so a drop off is to be expected.

    None of this young guys got spring practice and they got to play 6 games in a really weird year. I think guys like Proctor are going to make huge leaps and he won’t be alone.

  16. #103
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    14,771

    Re: 2020 Ohio State Football: Same Day, New Sermon

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think the single high safety defense works well when you have the players, and you recruit to it. Its the defense Day likes and wants to play, and in his first year he had a loaded roster who could play that D. It helps when you have the #1 CB and #1 DE on the roster, as well as another first round CB and one of the better slot CB's in the country.

    I think Proctor is one of their best DB's and you want him in the game. I don't think the single high is the place for him to play, to be honest, he may be more of the "bullet." He may be undersized to play LB, but he can run and hit, which I think can work.

    One thing that gets lost with last year's defense is the lack of practice they got. They played a truncated 8 games, lost all of spring practice, the fall practice was a mess. The guys learning a new position didn't get the reps they needed. A full spring will do wonders for the defense, as well as an increased pass rush they should see this season. One thing I am interested in seeing is at what point does the B1G relax the covid protocols? Will it be when 75%+ get vaccinated? That may go a long way in returning to a regular type of practice/development.
    I agree, my point was that simply Proctor is the best option at this time. I wouldn’t be shocked if someone like Martinez, Shaw, or Cavazos makes a ton of noise this spring and summer and start pushing for more PT. I could see Martinez turning heads, he’s a freak athlete.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  17. #104
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    2,691

    Re: 2020 Ohio State Football: Same Day, New Sermon

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I agree, my point was that simply Proctor is the best option at this time. I wouldn’t be shocked if someone like Martinez, Shaw, or Cavazos makes a ton of noise this spring and summer and start pushing for more PT. I could see Martinez turning heads, he’s a freak athlete.
    Martinez is more of a comer isn’t he?

    I think Kourt Williams might get some run at safety assuming he recovers from the ACL injury. He’s been getting talked up in spring practice a bit.

  18. #105
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,385

    Re: 2020 Ohio State Football: Same Day, New Sermon

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think it’s just a glaring weakness and he’s the best option. Who else is there?
    I mean, yeah, but it's weird to have championship aspirations, know the backend was a nightmare, then just roll out the old situation.

    They could have looked in the transfer portal, found a grad transfer, moved some other players around, I don't know. It's just strange to see Proctor as the assumed starter after a subpar season back there. I imagine we'll see some other solutions, whether that's more two-high, other players back there or maybe more reps is all that's needed.

    Part of me wonders if you could switch Ransom and Proctor. Not sure Proctor has the footspeed to stay with slot guys, but I do like him near the line of scrimmage. No idea how Ransom would look back there, but he was solid in his limited time last year.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator