Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How is your job being affected right now?

Re: How is your job being affected right now?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Yeah, I’m not talking right now, I’m talking like a year from now.
    Well, starting writing down ideas. Working for yourself isn't for everyone, but there is a certain satisfaction in controlling your own destiny. I've had a total of six years working on the clock for the man (and that includes three years in the army), and I wouldn't have changed a thing.

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-29-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Well, starting writing down ideas. Working for yourself isn't for everyone, but there is a certain satisfaction in controlling your own destiny. I've had a total of six years working on the clock for the man (and that includes three years in the army), and I wouldn't have changed a thing.
    I’ve got a couple ideas.

My dad has been self employed for most of his life, and I’ve worked with him a lot, so it’s in my blood.

One of my dad’s businesses was a donut shop in Toledo that did well for many years and then he tried to open more locations and just couldn’t pull it off. However, he had some great donut recipes and keeps pushing my brother and/or I to open a donut shop. My friend Pat makes great pizzas and has been working on his pizza recipes for 10 years and they really are delicious. He throws parties and just makes a bunch of different kinds of pizzas for everyone. That’s the party, and I miss it during this epidemic. We both love craft beers. So, the idea is a corner bar that serves donuts in the morning, pizza at lunch and dinner, and had a bunch of craft beers on tap. We live in Lakewood, a densely populated urban setting, and already have a couple locations picked out within walking distance of our houses. My dad would help us get the donut recipes down (and probably invest in the business - he’s made a lot of cash from his plumbing business).

Might be the perfect time to turn this dream into a reality.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-29-2020)

There you go. There are three things that are never affected by a recession: Food, alcohol, and sex. The government has tried to ban the sale of two of those over the years, but food will always be a safe bet.

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-29-2020)

There you go. There are three things that are never affected by a recession: Food, alcohol, and sex. The government has tried to ban the sale of two of those over the years, but food will always be a safe bet.
    We might offer sex in the back room. Haven’t decided yet. I give great mustache rides.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-01-2020)

Add the weather to that list. Disasters don't know anything about the stock market.

The main thing it's changed for me is travel. I had a trip to Puerto Rico scheduled for this month and it's on hold now. The engineers and contractors on my jobs aren't going anywhere until this is over, much less out of the country (mainland, I know).
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I work a software company and our clients are state and federal law enforcement training academies. Largely, we are unaffected by working from home. Our contracts are annually paid, so the company is probably good through fall of 2020, but after that who knows? That two trillion dollars needs to come from somewhere and I'm sure some of our clients will be pressured to scale back our implementations. The upside is that with a client base of first responders, law enforcement and homeland security there's not likely to be much stomach to cut back on their budgets currently. Fingers crossed, but can't say I'm not a little worried.
    I saw where 500+ law enforcement in NY have contracted the Virus.

First Police Officer with Covid in this area, others waiting results:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...us/2933031001/
    Also, I didn't see this thread when I posted last night in the new covid-19 thread. What I posted fit here.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-29-2020 at 10:35 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    My factory is still running full tilt. There are approx 50-60 hourly employees, spread thru different departments.. We make metal cabinets and tables for hospitals, dentists, and labs.
    Is everyone maintaining 6 feet from each other at all times, including where employees walk, use the restroom, put their personal belongings, etc., at all times? If not at all times, and I doubt if they are, they should be reported to the state. It's that kind of non-essential place that's spreading the disease. There are hundreds of places like that here in Oregon that are disregarding the social distancing order and putting everyone in this country at risk. Hundreds of whistle-blowers are doing their part and calling them in. But, because this is a free country, the government can't do anything, even a fine, to stop them. Public shaming is the only tool.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    I do network capacity engineering for an ISP. My job is somewhat busier because we are pitching in to help the operations teams. Most people are working from home but don't have enough monitors to replicate what would be in an operations center. So more eyes on fewer screens.
    Is that what they call it now? When I did that in 1984 it was called Computer Operator. We used Omegamon at the time for monitoring all of the nation's systems.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-29-2020 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I have a few things going on right now. Since I had to close my company a few years ago, I've gone back to the courier company I drove for back in '05, but that has been slow lately with a good portion of their customers being shut down. I have four published novels, but sales aren't producing what could be called full time income yet, although I've sold more ebooks in the last few days, a trend I expect to continue for the moment. I've been doing Amazon delivery routes to try to supplement the decreasing income from the courier work. I was doing Lyft as well, but there's no way in hell I'm going to haul passengers around at the moment.

It's my wife I'm really concerned about. She works in health care, so her work hasn't slacked off one bit, so as long as neither of us gets sick, we're ok for income until this blows over, but every time she goes to work I have this nagging worry that she's going to get exposed and bring it home. We could afford for me to get sick more than we could her right now, but we're hoping we both stay healthy until this runs its course.
    What department is she in and are they giving her masks and gloves?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Is everyone maintaining 6 feet from each other at all times, including where employees walk, use the restroom, put their personal belongings, etc., at all times? If not at all times, and I doubt if they are, they should be reported to the state. It's that kind of non-essential place that's spreading the disease. There are hundreds of places like that here in Oregon that are disregarding the social distancing order and putting everyone in this country at risk. Hundreds of whistle-blowers are doing their part and calling them in. But, because this is a free country, the government can't do anything, even a fine, to stop them. Public shaming is the only tool.
    How is a manufacturer of tables for hospitals and labs not essential?

16. Likes:

Tuff Nut (03-30-2020)

If there's one person from this website I would be the least worried about if things got to the ultimate worst, it would be you. Very resourceful personality.

Thought of becoming a chef when I was 19 because I knew it would always be recession-proof. People have to eat. Even with the restaurants closed, the chefs are still working with drive-thru and delivery.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    How is a manufacturer of tables for hospitals and labs not essential?
    Dentists are closed. It may be or it may not be essential any more than many of the businesses that are closed. How many cabinets does one need right now. And, that's not the point. Precision Castparts can say the same thing here. They make parts for places that are essential. They make parts for places that aren't. At least one employee reported violations from there.
    The cabinet maker isn't essential. The hospital is. Doubt if full capacity at the cabinet maker is essential. The point is whether the employer is taking the necessary steps to change the working environment to comply with social distancing. I doubt it very much. If they aren't they should be reported. Too many businesses are putting the welfare of a few before the welfare of all and extending when the spike in this outbreak will occur.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-29-2020 at 10:41 AM.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

What department is she in and are they giving her masks and gloves?
    She works with old folks, sometimes in a home and sometimes private care. She has all the PPE.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-29-2020),North (03-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    She works with old folks, sometimes in a home and sometimes private care. She has all the PPE.
    I wish her well.

Thought of becoming a chef when I was 19 because I knew it would always be recession-proof. People have to eat. Even with the restaurants closed, the chefs are still working with drive-thru and delivery.

- - - Updated - - -

Dentists are closed. It may be or it may not be essential any more than many of the businesses that are closed. How many cabinets does one need right now. And, that's not the point. Precision Castparts can say the same thing here. They make parts for places that are essential. They make parts for places that aren't. The cabinet maker isn't essential. The hospital is. Doubt if full capacity at the cabinet maker is essential. The point is whether the employer is taking the necessary steps to change the working environment to comply with social distancing. I doubt it very much. If they aren't they should be reported.
    He didn’t just say dentists. He said hospitals, labs, and dentists.

If this goes south they are going to have to expand hospitals or convert places like hotels into makeshift hospitals. These will have to be fitted with tables and cabinets I’m sure.

Also, labs are going to be expanding as well to be handling all of the testing going on.

This is like a beyond obvious essential business.

Turn Off Ads?