Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How is your job being affected right now?

Re: How is your job being affected right now?

I work in the Digital Innovation group for a large health system on the west coast, we provide tools to the system (and other systems) that enable online scheduling for primary care and express care clinics. Our current workload is converting a majority of the providers to support our Virtual Care offerings which is experiencing a huge uptick which taxes existing framework and support systems, so nonetheless we are pretty busy. I also have an office at home with a complete work station setup so working from home is not a problem. I was however in the midst of interviewing for a new position at another company in their Digital Innovation group (Banking) that is currently on hold, my wife also was interviewing for a new job and was told she had it but the offer wouldn't be extended until this thing settles down (It's in the public transportation sector)

So yes currently busy, but who knows what happens with the other position and who knows what the down stream affect has on future budgeting for my current position.

2. Likes:

Roy Tucker (03-29-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Waiting to see what this bill will include, before deciding whether or not to lay off my employees.

Our law office is still open, but some people are working remotely and we are generally not allowing third parties, including clients, access to the office. Legal services are defined as "essential," so we are still working, but it does affect what we can do. No trials, court hearings or depositions are going being conducted.
    Our local court house is closed, but I gained access yesterday to file a lawsuit--the problem is my client needs to have a court hearing held upon a motion for a temporary restraining order and an injunction, but we can't get a hearing date at the moment. At the request of a different client yesterday I did meet with my client at its manufacturing facility to discuss a matter and watch a laser make the parts at issue, but I was probably sanitary enough to perform surgery during that visit-I would have had greater health concerns going to our local Kroger's.
    My 27 year old son has moved in with us as all classes at the University of Tennessee School of Law are now exclusively online. His wife will soon also be living with us after she completes a visit to her parents.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

6. Likes:

Roy Tucker (03-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I work in IT security for an insurance company with Cincinnati in its name.
    CFC? Have I asked this before? My dad worked at CFC from 1972-1992.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I've been teaching online now for a full week. It was rocky at first figuring out how to navigate with Zoom meetings, but that seems easy after a week. Still need to get my feet wet recording online lectures, so that's next. Overall, I feel very lucky to have a job right now.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I teach fully online already, and I'm still "working" from home otherwise. My occasional subbing has gone away, and that paid surprisingly well, but I did my taxes yesterday, and I'm getting a good refund, so I won't be hurting for a while.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

As more work from home, Walmart sees rise in sales of tops, not bottoms

With more and more people working from home, Walmart has picked up on an interesting trend: Tops have seen an increase in sales while bottoms haven't.

The reason? Teleworking.

That's what Walmart's executive vice president of corporate affairs, Dan Bartlett, told Yahoo Finance on Thursday. Later, a spokesman for the company told CNN the same thing.

As officials try to control the COVID-19 pandemic, millions of white collar workers — normally bound by dress codes and expectations in the office — are trading business trousers for sweat pants and stiff blazers for that hoodie they would only ever allow their family, roommates or dog to see.

But there's that matter of video conferencing where you still want to present a presentable self to your colleagues. And so, many of us are donning business attire on top and casual clothing from the waist down.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-29-2020),KittyDuran (03-29-2020)

I do network capacity engineering for an ISP. My job is somewhat busier because we are pitching in to help the operations teams. Most people are working from home but don't have enough monitors to replicate what would be in an operations center. So more eyes on fewer screens.

13. Likes:

westofyou (03-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    I do network capacity engineering for an ISP. My job is somewhat busier because we are pitching in to help the operations teams. Most people are working from home but don't have enough monitors to replicate what would be in an operations center. So more eyes on fewer screens.
    Lot of QA fallacies in this environment, tools at home are lacking

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I have a few things going on right now. Since I had to close my company a few years ago, I've gone back to the courier company I drove for back in '05, but that has been slow lately with a good portion of their customers being shut down. I have four published novels, but sales aren't producing what could be called full time income yet, although I've sold more ebooks in the last few days, a trend I expect to continue for the moment. I've been doing Amazon delivery routes to try to supplement the decreasing income from the courier work. I was doing Lyft as well, but there's no way in hell I'm going to haul passengers around at the moment.

It's my wife I'm really concerned about. She works in health care, so her work hasn't slacked off one bit, so as long as neither of us gets sick, we're ok for income until this blows over, but every time she goes to work I have this nagging worry that she's going to get exposed and bring it home. We could afford for me to get sick more than we could her right now, but we're hoping we both stay healthy until this runs its course.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

The good news is that from the state's point of view my work is considered essential. The bad news is that from the air forces' point of view I'm not considered mission essential. The good news is that my company has the ability to do limited work off site. The bad news is that limited means we can charge hours but we're largely twiddling our thumbs. The good news is the company is encouraging us to work at home. The bad news is that I have maybe a weeks worth of thumb twiddlling work that can be accomplished from home. The bad news is that this is going to go on for a lot longer than a week.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    You look up the potential victim of this and I'm the guy. Male, age 69, prior lung issues. I can hunker down a long darn time. But my wife (66) still works. We don't need her money. Everytime she heads out the door to work, it's like she's playing Russian Roulette with the gun pointed at me.
    My wife and I are a bit younger than you and she's the one with the risk conditions. I feel guilty if I work at the office because I'm putting her at risk. On the other hand I feel guilty working at home because I'm charging hours without really being productive.

Brave new world with new ways of thinking.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

My son-in-law's company just closed shop and everyone lost their jobs. Their two largest customers notified them that all projects have been canceled at least until the next calendar year, so there was no way to carry salaries through the year (he works for a small engineering firm, maybe 20 people). But, I always have a few irons in the fire, and this just might be the time to pull the trigger on a business we've been thinking about starting for a long time.

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    My son-in-law's company just closed shop and everyone lost their jobs. Their two largest customers notified them that all projects have been canceled at least until the next calendar year, so there was no way to carry salaries through the year (he works for a small engineering firm, maybe 20 people). But, I always have a few irons in the fire, and this just might be the time to pull the trigger on a business we've been thinking about starting for a long time.
    It’s a good point about starting a small business. I’ve been wondering if after this will be a good opportunity to start a small business. There’s going to be a large void for a lot of local businesses I am assuming, especially places like corner bars and whatnot. There will probably be a lot of incentive programs and low interest loans to get started. I’ve always wanted to own and operate a small bar with great beers on tap. I know this probably won’t happen but I’ve always dreamed about it.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    There will probably be a lot of incentive programs and low interest loans to get started.
    Dream on. The SBA has always been useless, and this will be no exception. My SIL, just for kicks, went to their site and filled out some online forms, and on the last page a message popped up saying "There has been error on this page". When you try to call them, no one can even tell you anything.

A much better plan is to pool money and find private investors.

But to your larger point, the next year is the perfect time to "stick it to the man". I think once the idea of the usual companies getting the bailouts sinks in while regular people get a $600 check and maybe lose everything, the public will be even more sympathetic to small business owners. We just have to educate the public better so they understand exactly why it is beneficial.

22. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Dream on. The SBA has always been useless, and this will be no exception. My SIL, just for kicks, went to their site and filled out some online forms, and on the last page a message popped up saying "There has been error on this page". When you try to call them, no one can even tell you anything.

A much better plan is to pool money and find private investors.

But to your larger point, the next year is the perfect time to "stick it to the man". I think once the idea of the usual companies getting the bailouts sinks in while regular people get a $600 check and maybe lose everything, the public will be even more sympathetic to small business owners. We just have to educate the public better so they understand exactly why it is beneficial.
    Yeah, I’m not talking right now, I’m talking like a year from now.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?