Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MLB and MLBPA come to agreement on labor issues for 2020 season.

MLB and MLBPA come to agreement on labor issues for 2020 season.

Thought this deserved it's own thread.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...47432089493504
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Likes:

marcshoe (03-27-2020),mbgrayson (03-27-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB and MLBPA come to agreement on labor issues for 2020 season.

Sure does.

Some points (All taken from various twitter accounts)

Player pay for 2020

MLB will advance 170M to players. Will be kept if there’s no season and repaid if there is one. That represents 3-4% of their total salaries.

Money will be distributed between four tiers of players - those with guaranteed contracts and those in three different levels of split contracts between majors and minors.

Owners, in view of person on players’ side, protected their downside - yielding on service time and advancing players $170M in exchange for protection against prospect of estimated $4.5B payout to players in cancelled season. Players cannot sue for full salaries as part of deal.

2020 salaries will be prorated depending on number of games. #MLBv

Additionally, players union is exploring ways to supplement the advance for players in need #MLB

Roster Moves
    No more roster moves. When the MLB and MLBPA deal is ratified by MLB owners as expected tomorrow, a transaction freeze will be in place, source says. Sides will agree when it is lifted.

Free Agency
    In the event of no season, Mookie Betts, Trevor Bauer and others in that class would still be free agents, eligible to sign with new team for the 2021 season

Draft

There will still be a draft, though shortened. League will have right to keep it to 5 rounds. Undrafted players can sign for 20K.
    Amateur will be five rounds in 2020 but can be increased at MLB’s discretion, source tells The Athletic. MLB will decide date but draft will be held no later than late July. Also: Players get to sign off on scheduling.

MLB also can shorten the 2021 draft to 20 rounds, and push back the 2021-22 international signing period to January 2022 through December 2022, per sources.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 03-26-2020 at 11:36 PM.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (04-06-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I can not express how angry I am right now about the draft situation. What an absolutely disgusting thing that MLB and the MLBPA have done.

8. Likes:

KYExtemper (03-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I can not express how angry I am right now about the draft situation. What an absolutely disgusting thing that MLB and the MLBPA have done.

I get it now. For players that would have been drafted in Rounds 6-10, they had slots from $286K to $146K. And Reds signed 8 guys in later rounds to 100K or more

What I don't know is if they meant "up to $20K, or $20K"
    Last edited by JaxRed; 03-26-2020 at 11:44 PM.

Considering there will still be doubts over 2021 being able to be fully played, or played in front of fans all the time, I can't see anyone getting big money this offseason. Guys like Betts might still get long-term deals cause owners will think of 2022, but everyone else is screwed. If I'm the Reds I don't even offer Bauer a qualifying offer.

Castellanos ain't opting out even if they play half a season and he's a .900 OPS bat.

This offseason is going to make the 2018-19 one look like a spending spree.

Another draft related item

As part of MLB/union deal, draft signing bonuses will remain at 2019 levels next two years. Agent Scott Boras calls move “unconscionable.”

12. Likes:

REDREAD (04-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Considering there will still be doubts over 2021 being able to be fully played, or played in front of fans all the time, I can't see anyone getting big money this offseason. Guys like Betts might still get long-term deals cause owners will think of 2022, but everyone else is screwed. If I'm the Reds I don't even offer Bauer a qualifying offer.

Castellanos ain't opting out even if they play half a season and he's a .900 OPS bat.

Agree, but the free agents will still be free. They have no guarantees from current clubs beyond this year. So guys like Betts and Bauer, while maybe not getting huge deals, will still be available with no ties and total freedom to move. That will create some market at some level.

Agree Castellanos is less likely to move in a down market, he has a big guarantee from the Reds. Different situation.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (04-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post

I don't see any issues with the 2021 season being played. It's very likely they'll have a vaccine by then

16. Likes:

REDREAD (04-06-2020),redsmetz (04-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I get it now. For players that would have been drafted in Rounds 6-10, they had slots from $286K to $146K. And Reds signed 8 guys in later rounds to 100K or more

What I don't know is if they meant "up to $20K, or $20K"
    Sounds pretty clear to me: Anyone outside of the 5 rd draft gets no more than $20K to sign, which ain't much

- - - Updated - - -

What specifically is your issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't see any issues with the 2021 season being played. It's very likely they'll have a vaccine by then
    Not even the current administration is projecting a fully functioning vaccine by spring training 2021.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

What specifically is your issue?
    Almost every single thing is my issue.

Oh, you meant about the draft? That's another story (that I wrote over at the site).

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Not even the current administration is projecting a fully functioning vaccine by spring training 2021.
    I've heard 12-18 mos. I'm thinking they'll fast track this

I've heard 12-18 mos. I'm thinking they'll fast track this
    Or you can just watch the press conference from just last night and get your answer first hand. Even fast tracking it they'll be lucky to have it done in 12 months.

Almost every single thing is my issue.

Oh, you meant about the draft? That's another story (that I wrote over at the site).
    Every single issue? Am I correct that minor league players are going to continue to get paid? I assume you support that.

As for the 2020 draft picks, yeah, they're going to pay a price for this virus. Hey, get in line. A lot of us are taking a hit. They are no different

Turn Off Ads?