Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MLB and MLBPA come to agreement on labor issues for 2020 season.

Re: MLB and MLBPA come to agreement on labor issues for 2020 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Or you can just watch the press conference from just last night and get your answer first hand. Even fast tracking it they'll be lucky to have it done in 12 months.
    Let's wish them that luck.

Vaccine aside, my guess is football will go on as planned in 6 mos. That's a far more risky situation than MLB.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If they do shortened the draft to 5 rounds, remember the Astros lost their first and second round picks, so they could only draft 3.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Every single issue? Am I correct that minor league players are going to continue to get paid? I assume you support that.

As for the 2020 draft picks, yeah, they're going to pay a price for this virus. Hey, get in line. A lot of us are taking a hit. They are no different
    We don't know how the minor league pay is going to be handled yet - it was not a part of this deal/agreement. So I have no support/non-support on that.

The draft issue? Yeah man - it's a lot different than "the rest of us", for the most part. The job still exists - but they are being asked to take about an 80% pay cut. And to take a job that already pays less than minimum wage for the time worked. And even next year, when pay goes up, it's still barely minimum wage (and in some areas of the country, still below it).

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    We don't know how the minor league pay is going to be handled yet - it was not a part of this deal/agreement. So I have no support/non-support on that.

The draft issue? Yeah man - it's a lot different than "the rest of us", for the most part. The job still exists - but they are being asked to take about an 80% pay cut. And to take a job that already pays less than minimum wage for the time worked. And even next year, when pay goes up, it's still barely minimum wage (and in some areas of the country, still below it).
    Sure the job still exists but there's not as much revenue to pay for them. It's like the price of a barrel of oil. The product still exists but the price has gone down. They're screwed for sure. I get that. But lots of folks are getting screwed

Sure the job still exists but there's not as much revenue to pay for them. It's like the price of a barrel of oil. The product still exists but the price has gone down. They're screwed for sure. I get that. But lots of folks are getting screwed
    This sucks for everyone, so how dare we feel bad for them, who are getting screwed worse than most? Cool.

This sucks for everyone, so how dare we feel bad for them, who are getting screwed worse than most? Cool.
    Can we just agree on this: we all feel bad for people who are taking a financial hit over this. So there's no "daring" here as you put it. We all feel bad and hate it. This is the price that these players will pay. They haven't played a day in the big leagues. It's understandable that they'd have very little say in all of this. I think this is a prudent way for the owners to cut costs which they ought to be doing

I don't really have an issue as long as they have a one year exception where high school seniors become draft eligible after one year in college instead of three. That would really just push things back a year for all but the most elite players. I assume they won't do that, though, because baseball always manages to screw up such things.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-27-2020)

I've heard 12-18 mos. I'm thinking they'll fast track this
    That is fast tracking it. Normal process can be like 5-7 years.

Can we just agree on this: we all feel bad for people who are taking a financial hit over this. So there's no "daring" here as you put it. We all feel bad and hate it. This is the price that these players will pay. They haven't played a day in the big leagues. It's understandable that they'd have very little say in all of this. I think this is a prudent way for the owners to cut costs which they ought to be doing
    This saves literal peanuts.

And it's not just the owners. The freaking players at the big league level said this was cool, too. And those guys should be ashamed for doing it, too.

I'm so tired of the haves screwing over the have nots.

I'm so tired of the haves screwing over the have nots.
    The world isn’t as simple as that. You’d be surprised how unions are capable of selling out their own. And I’m talking about the real world where people make an hourly wage, not just the fantasy land of pro sports. I’ve seen unions reject company offers that are well intended to lift up the people at the bottom of the food chain for pure selfish reasons. Selfish, greedy people exist everywhere. Just as caring people who want to do the right thing exist every where. It’s not just greedy haves vs virtuous have nots.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    The world isn’t as simple as that. You’d be surprised how unions are capable of selling out their own. And I’m talking about the real world where people make an hourly wage, not just the fantasy land of pro sports. I’ve seen unions reject company offers that are well intended to lift up the people at the bottom of the food chain for pure selfish reasons. Selfish, greedy people exist everywhere. Just as caring people who want to do the right thing exist every where. It’s not just greedy haves vs virtuous have nots.
    I'm struggling to figure out the scenario you laid out as not being the haves screwing over the have nots. The haves (the people at the top) rejecting the company offer that helps the have nots (the people at the bottom). The haves in your scenario, like in just about any union, are the ones who control the message being given to everyone.

And just to be clear with my haves and have nots original statement, the haves are both the owners and current players. The have nots are the amateurs.

wrong thread. Somehow.

I'm struggling to figure out the scenario you laid out as not being the haves screwing over the have nots. The haves (the people at the top) rejecting the company offer that helps the have nots (the people at the bottom). The haves in your scenario, like in just about any union, are the ones who control the message being given to everyone.

And just to be clear with my haves and have nots original statement, the haves are both the owners and current players. The have nots are the amateurs.
    You are one of the many people on this board who are very good at looking past the surface to analyze and evaluate baseball talent. “Haves always screwing over have nots” is a pretty simplistic view of the world. It is usually more complicated than that.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    You are one of the many people on this board who are very good at looking past the surface to analyze and evaluate baseball talent. “Haves always screwing over have nots” is a pretty simplistic view of the world. It is usually more complicated than that.
    It's usually not, though.

17. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (03-28-2020),Rdirtypirates (03-28-2020)

One item I haven't seen discussed are the performance bonuses set in many contracts.

Pedro Strop, for example, isn't likely to get to 60 GP this season. Or even 50. Or 40. Might not even get to 30.

It's at the margins, to be sure, but may affect quite a few team bottom lines.

Turn Off Ads?