Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MLB and MLBPA come to agreement on labor issues for 2020 season.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: MLB and MLBPA come to agreement on labor issues for 2020 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    One item I haven't seen discussed are the performance bonuses set in many contracts.

Pedro Strop, for example, isn't likely to get to 60 GP this season. Or even 50. Or 40. Might not even get to 30.

It's at the margins, to be sure, but may affect quite a few team bottom lines.
    Maybe they’ll prorate those or something

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This saves literal peanuts.

And it's not just the owners. The freaking players at the big league level said this was cool, too. And those guys should be ashamed for doing it, too.

I'm so tired of the haves screwing over the have nots.
    These "have nots" are not even major league players. They haven't earned any rights yet. Many of those drafted folks will never be major league players. I don't see that they should in any way be lumped in or compared with the folks who have earned their place in the players' union.

4. Likes:

bm1475 (04-06-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    These "have nots" are not even major league players. They haven't earned any rights yet. Many of those drafted folks will never be major league players. I don't see that they should in any way be lumped in or compared with the folks who have earned their place in the players' union.
    I'm just going to be blunt: This is a badd take.

I'll expand a little bit: If someone we're to complain that these guys were deserving of the same rights and pay as their big league brethren, your take wouldn't be bad. No one is suggesting that.

What is being suggested, though, is that they have zero say at all in negotiating their actual rights - and that the people who do, for some reason have the right and ability to negotiate their rights, don't seem to really care much at all about those rights and constantly take more and more of those rights away from them at every single opportunity that they can so that those who get to vote on them can get an extra seat on the spring training bus, or an extra $20 a day in meal money during spring training.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 03-31-2020 at 03:42 PM.

I'm just going to be blunt: This is a badd take.

I'll expand a little bit: If someone we're to complain that these guys were deserving of the same rights and pay as their big league brethren, your take wouldn't be bad. No one is suggesting that.

What is being suggested, though, is that they have zero say at all in negotiating their actual rights - and that the people who do, for some reason have the right and ability to negotiate their rights, don't seem to really care much at all about those rights and constantly take more and more of those rights away from them at every single opportunity that they can so that those who get to vote on them can get an extra seat on the spring training bus, or an extra $20 a day in meal money during spring training.
    They have rights. They have the right to sign or wait till next year. My guess is that many will opt to do the latter. They will negotiate those rights with the individual ball clubs. I don't see any issue here.

So here's a hypothetical question.. Let's say baseball draft is 5 rounds only..
    What if there's a pretty decent undrafted player that's a free agent, let's say 10 clubs offer him the 20k contract the next day.. Doesn't this guy have the right to ask for more than 20k?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

8. Likes:

Chip R (04-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    What if there's a pretty decent undrafted player that's a free agent, let's say 10 clubs offer him the 20k contract the next day.. Doesn't this guy have the right to ask for more than 20k?
    Good question. If it’s a flat $20K doesn’t that create a pretty lopsided environment for the “haves” to thrive? I mean how many would sign with an organization known more for losing if the money is the same?

10. Likes:

REDREAD (04-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    No, he does not. At least not of a Major League Baseball team he doesn't. He could ask for it from an independent league team. Or a team in Japan or Korea or Mexico.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (04-07-2020)

Ok, I am getting to the point where I don't know how much of the baseball season is going to get played, if any of it. I do believe that we will see some form of football, probably full seasons, but those will be delayed seasons.

I think MLB should just cancel the draft. The 5 round draft makes sense, because you can project who is good enough, but you will be devoid of a year of data. A draft in June (or whenever) will be completely amiss of the most important season that each individual would have played. If there isn't a draft, there will be a glut of players flooding the amateur draft system.

What I would be interested in seeing, is a fall ball (or winter ball) season played in FL and AZ later this year. You invite all the draft eligible players who missed a season of baseball and allow them to play. Then after that fall ball, you have a draft to kick off 2021 spring training.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (04-07-2020)

No, he does not. At least not of a Major League Baseball team he doesn't. He could ask for it from an independent league team. Or a team in Japan or Korea or Mexico.
    $20k is an absurd amount since it = about a one year college scholarship and is less than a year's wages working at Lowes. So why would any high school graduate pass up a 4 year college scholarship for $20k? Or a college junior quit college and lose his scholarship a year before graduating? Or why would a college graduate take the $20k and then earn $400 a week in Rookie League ($8k season, A Ball-$500 week , AA-$600) when he will likely have superior salary offers after graduating? Hopefully a college graduate who was not good enough to be drafted in the first 5 rounds will be self aware enough to know his chances of making the Majors are poor.

So if a high school baseball graduate is not interested in college he can compare a $20k signing bonus and $8k for the season and knowing he will lose his amateur status and never have the option of playing college ball with enlisting in the Navy-$10k-$40k signing bonus, $25,000 salary + $12k housing allowance+full college GI scholarship when his enlistment is up.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (04-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbroznan View Post
    $20k is an absurd amount since it = about a one year college scholarship and is less than a year's wages working at Lowes. So why would any high school graduate pass up a 4 year college scholarship for $20k? Or a college junior quit college and lose his scholarship a year before graduating? Or why would a college graduate take the $20k and then earn $400 a week in Rookie League ($8k season, A Ball-$500 week , AA-$600) when he will likely have superior salary offers after graduating? Hopefully a college graduate who was not good enough to be drafted in the first 5 rounds will be self aware enough to know his chances of making the Majors are poor.

So if a high school baseball graduate is not interested in college he can compare a $20k signing bonus and $8k for the season and knowing he will lose his amateur status and never have the option of playing college ball with enlisting in the Navy-$10k-$40k signing bonus, $25,000 salary + $12k housing allowance+full college GI scholarship when his enlistment is up.
    Well, a high schooler won't go undrafted and sign as a free agent. But, players can and do get college scholarship money put into their contracts - it comes standard with every draft pick out of high school. Now, whether that holds true for undrafted players or not - I do not know because I honestly can't even think of a situation where it would ever happen other than right now, so I've never even looked into it or asked anyone about it. Same for college players leaving early - they can, and sometimes do get future scholarship money applied with their contract for future education. Also have no idea if that happens with undrafted players.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (04-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    Good question. If it’s a flat $20K doesn’t that create a pretty lopsided environment for the “haves” to thrive? I mean how many would sign with an organization known more for losing if the money is the same?
    I think you have to include opportunity in your calculus. Especially with the spectre of minor league contraction on the horizon, a guy with the ability to choose where he goes is probably going to have some preference for going to an organization where he's going to have a relatively clear path to the majors -- or at least minor league promotion..
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (04-07-2020)

Most college ballplayers are on partial scholarships. Now with the NCAA granting an extra season of eligibility to players who play Spring sports, there are going to be more costs incurred by those programs. Arte there going ton be extra scholarships to go around? If so, how many? Are rosters going to increase? If so, a player who was thinking about coming back to college of a high school player thinking of attending college may be buried on the depth chart. $20K isn't that much but it's better than nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

22. Likes:

REDREAD (04-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Most college ballplayers are on partial scholarships. Now with the NCAA granting an extra season of eligibility to players who play Spring sports, there are going to be more costs incurred by those programs. Arte there going ton be extra scholarships to go around? If so, how many? Are rosters going to increase? If so, a player who was thinking about coming back to college of a high school player thinking of attending college may be buried on the depth chart. $20K isn't that much but it's better than nothing.
    Roster sizes WILL increase. The scholarship situation, though, is a mess. It's basically up to the schools if they want to expand their 11.7 baseball scholarships or not. No returning seniors, though, are eligible at all for financial aid.

24. Likes:

Chip R (04-06-2020),REDREAD (04-07-2020)

Roster sizes WILL increase. The scholarship situation, though, is a mess. It's basically up to the schools if they want to expand their 11.7 baseball scholarships or not. No returning seniors, though, are eligible at all for financial aid.
    Actually I believe the 11.7 is set by the NCAA for Division I programs , it is 9 scholarships at Division II schools and the limits are set so the schools will be in compliance with Title 9. I do not know if schools are allowed to poach scholarships from the football program's 85 scholarships (doubt it)

26. Likes:

REDREAD (04-07-2020)

I do not know if schools are allowed to poach scholarships from the football program's 85 scholarships (doubt it)
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?