Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Draft

Cruisin' for trouble

Re: 2020 Draft

Maybe I'm just missing something...

So, after the 5th round, the rest of the eligible players are then free agents, able to sign with ANY club? But the compensation is capped at 20k? Since when did free agency mean that their ability to sign with the highest bidder was null and void? Who is to stop a bidding war for a "free agent"? What is the penalty if a team signs someone for more than 20k?

Some lawyers are going to be pretty well-off next year...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    Maybe I'm just missing something...

So, after the 5th round, the rest of the eligible players are then free agents, able to sign with ANY club? But the compensation is capped at 20k? Since when did free agency mean that their ability to sign with the highest bidder was null and void? Who is to stop a bidding war for a "free agent"? What is the penalty if a team signs someone for more than 20k?

Some lawyers are going to be pretty well-off next year...
    There's no penalty - you literally aren't allowed to do it. The bidding war is capped at $20,000 and the player then just has to choose which organization he wants to play for.

Heyman says draft probably will be June 10.

Separately, I’ve read it could be five rounds or ten rounds.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Heyman says draft probably will be June 10.

Separately, I’ve read it could be five rounds or ten rounds.
    It is 5 rounds now. MLB holds the right to make it more than 5 rounds if they so choose.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It is 5 rounds now. MLB holds the right to make it more than 5 rounds if they so choose.
    Both the CBS and BA articles on the recent agreement say the 2020 draft can be as few as five rounds. It’s a lower limit.

MLBTR tonight says it will be five or ten rounds, decision to follow.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-29-2020 at 09:08 AM.

More is more......

I assume the new Reds drafting regime will pass on any HS hurlers as they did last year.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Another thing that prospective draftees have to figure in though is this..

Minor leagues are being slashed. The Player's association is ok with this 5 rounds, then 20k free agents.
    It seems to me that the heyday of the draft will never return. Why in the world would the owners want to go back to the "old" system in 2021?
    Most of the obvious talent will be picked in the top 5 rounds.. that's how it's been historically.
    The owners would save tons of money by not having to play draft pool money games so they can pay some high school kid 400k later in the draft.

Don't you think the owners would rather save 6-8 million (approximately) with the smaller draft every year, especially since there's fewer minor league teams?

If a kid gets offered a 20k contract to play this year, and he thinks he has a legit chance to be a MLB player.. sadly, he probably should just
    take the contract. IF he doesn't, there's 100 other kids that will to chase the dream.

Note, I Am not supporting the owners or saying this is fair. I am just predicting that this is the future.. Slot the first 5 rounds, everyone after that
    only gets 20k as a free agent. The owners can say "oh this worked so well in 2020, we are going to make it permanent".. The union will not care, the union has always
    resented the high signing bonuses that the kids get.. Only agents like Boras will care, and I don't think they have enough power to fight it alone.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

We have no clue how restructuring of the minor leagues will work, but we can guess at a few things-- and a few possible takeaways:

1. Most college draftees are likely to be pushed, relatively speaking.
    Low A will be the lowest rung on the minor league ladder. Presently, that's Dayton. College players who previously began in Billings or lesser leagues will now begin in Dayton-- or at a lower level in Arizona. This should help high-level Division I draftees and top picks, as it moves them faster through the organization. (Getting some time in low A after a college season-- assuming there will be one-- on their way to Advanced A the next year would seem to be the overall plan.) Top college prospects should be able to handle that jump, as should nearly all division I athletes from powerhouse conferences like the SEC, PAC12, Big XII, and Big 10. This should help high-floor college hitters get drafted higher, but they'll have to produce immediately. That no-hit college SS from Kansas State may well end up a 5th round pick over a higher upside HS bat who may develop into a superstar if everything turns out right.

2. Most HS kids will play in the back lots of Arizona and Florida.
    There will almost assuredly be no Pioneer League or Appalachian League on the minor leagues schedule (whenever minor league baseball is played again). The very top HS kids may be able to handle a jump to low A ball, but almost all of them will end up in complex ball for at least a year and most likely two or three. This means information on these kids (and video) may be hard to come by. There may not be actual games played. (This is often the case in Latin American baseball complexes now.) Word of mouth and scouting reports may be more vital, whereas actual production within a league setting will be nonexistent. That'll make it much more difficult to follow minor league guys all the way up.

3. Pitchers will need to be monitored closely. And should be.
    Colleges have a history of abusing their top pitchers, to the tune of 140 pitch count starts and massive amounts of innings. HS coaches are often no different-- they want to win while developing talent, but most of all, they want to win. If teams draft pitchers, they may not be seen at all the season they're drafted. They may be limited, as Nick Lodolo was last season. The move up a level may push GMs to protect more of those arms. It's possible college starters become professional relievers early in their careers to get a taste of professional ball. More likely, they'll work with coaches in Arizona on their deliveries and off-speed offerings instead of moving immediately into low A rotations.

4. Small college kids are going to need to prove themselves early and often.
    If there's a choice between a small college guy and a high division I guy, all things being equal, GMs and player development people are going to probably pick the guy who played against higher level of competition. In a draft where the slightest single swing or pitch can make a difference, that could see guys like Phil Ervin pushed farther down the line. And that makes some sense intuitively. College ball to low A is a bigger jump for a SWAC kid than an SEC guy. Fastballs that may have appeared elite would now be a regular occurrence, and exploding sliders and disappearing curves that can clip the corners may be brand new to them. That may mean giving those kids a year in Arizona, thereby delaying their development (and costing the team more cash). That jump in competition may mean those guys struggle.

5. HS draft prospects may be undervalued. And more expensive.
    Speaking of player cost, HS kids are going to be expensive to keep. They'll be all over the Goodyear complex, for sure. It'll be the AZL on steroids, with coaches working for hours on individual workouts and baseball training. (Batting practice alone could take two or three fields and a couple of hours.) Just hiring (and keeping) coaches and trainers and other personnel will be a big cost, not to mention feeding and finding housing in the area. Teams are not going to be big fans of spending that kind of coin, and may look to limit their expenses. As a result, college baseball may become the norm for the best HS prospects. This, in turn, could make HS prospect draft demands even higher. If more teams decide to move to college players, those HS kids with great tools (especially from colder climates) may turn out to be extremely valuable.

6. Foreign players may also be undervalued-- but should be less expensive.
    Ditto foreign players. Why spend money in foreign leagues and Arizona when division I will do it for free? The top foreign-born players will still demand top prices, but the Cuetos of the world may be largely ignored. A smart team might parlay this to their advantage, zigging when others zag. Signing a ton of lower level guys and spending serious money on development may end up being a bargain. It only takes one superstar for this to pay off-- and the odds are much better than the lottery.

7. Development within the organization becomes key.
    Speaking of, development and the people hired to chart, improve, and streamline that development will become even more important. Those coaches in Arizona will have to know what they're doing and be able to communicate with young people. The Reds will probably put a lot of their eggs in Driveline and analytics. That's a good jumping off point, for sure. I wonder if Boddy will spend most of his time in Arizona. We may see (or not see, as the proprietorial case may be) a pitching lab, so to speak, in Goodyear. This may necessitate higher salaries as specific coaches prove themselves as quality talent evaluators and developers. (And finding those guys will prove even more beneficial, as they could reach many more guys in the same season.)

8. College baseball becomes stronger, puts a better product on the field.
    Not all developments will be about professional baseball. If developing HS talent is more expensive, there's a good chance those guys will be ignored until later in the draft. This will, in turn, mean lower club bonus offers. Which will mean more players choosing college. That will help winnow the pretenders from the projections. The quality of the SEC, then, should improve-- more talent should mean a better product overall. That will, in turn, mean kids like Nick Senzel (who wasn't drafted out of HS) may end up not at Tennessee, but at Middle Tennessee State or Western Carolina. Pitching will be especially interesting. We may see a huge jump of junior college arms, as D-I teams may not have as many starting berths available for incoming arms.

9. The Arizona Fall League may be a coming out party of sorts for underaged talent.
    Because most of the games within the complex won't be actual games, the only people who'll watch them are going to be coaches and some fansite prospect prognosticators. It's easy to "hide" talent or limit access so that certain players aren't evaluated. Expect that to happen. Expect coaches to play more games with these sites, extolling the virtues of guys they may want to trade too. The real sign that a guy may be special could be their inclusion on an Arizona Fall League roster. This could be the first time these kids have the opportunity to play real games, too. Teams aren't going to want to put scrubs out there (for the most part).

10. Expect the AZL to be even more important-- and perhaps a full-season league.
    Arizona is hot-- too hot to play ball in the summer unless it's after dark or before anyone gets up. Still, we may see an expanded AZL and Florida League built around high school prospects. There may be actual games. If there are, that's where all the young guys are going to be-- perhaps for a couple of seasons. Player development may see multiple season in the AZL and low A before a big jump to Double A (or release). That may be another opportunity to find bargain players. Some guys develop late. Might be a good idea to keep roster spots open for those guys.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (06-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post

Minor leagues are being slashed. The Player's association is ok with this 5 rounds, then 20k free agents.
    It seems to me that the heyday of the draft will never return. Why in the world would the owners want to go back to the "old" system in 2021?
    Most of the obvious talent will be picked in the top 5 rounds.. that's how it's been historically.
    The owners would save tons of money by not having to play draft pool money games so they can pay some high school kid 400k later in the draft.

Don't you think the owners would rather save 6-8 million (approximately) with the smaller draft every year, especially since there's fewer minor league teams?

If a kid gets offered a 20k contract to play this year, and he thinks he has a legit chance to be a MLB player.. sadly, he probably should just
    take the contract. IF he doesn't, there's 100 other kids that will to chase the dream.

Note, I Am not supporting the owners or saying this is fair. I am just predicting that this is the future.. Slot the first 5 rounds, everyone after that
    only gets 20k as a free agent. The owners can say "oh this worked so well in 2020, we are going to make it permanent".. The union will not care, the union has always
    resented the high signing bonuses that the kids get.. Only agents like Boras will care, and I don't think they have enough power to fight it alone.
    Good points. I believe the move will be toward alignment with other major sports. Colleges and junior colleges will assume the task of training HS players. It likely has not escaped the notice of owners that colleges are doing a good job of turning lesser HS players into high draft choices. Why should they bear the expense of duplicating this development, possibly with poorer results.

Elite HS players will still be drafted. Others will choose college or junior college. JC players will then either enter the draft or go on to college.

Most of the players drafted in the high bonus rounds will be college players.

Lower rookie (spring training facilities) will be less crowded affording a better opportunity for player development. The vast majority of these rosters will be even more international.

Teams will use the level bonus rounds as roster filler with most coming from college ranks.

In conjunction with a reduction in minor league franchises and further improved use of analytics, these moves will result in a lower cost, more efficient draft as well as reduced training and scouting costs.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (06-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post

Under the March agreement, MLB can shorten the 2021 draft to 20 rounds at a minimum.

Unless there’s a subsequent agreement to the contrary, there will not be a five round draft next season. That was part of the emergency plan for 2020.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-08-2020 at 10:26 AM.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (06-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Under the March agreement, MLB can shorten the 2021 draft to 20 rounds at a minimum.

Unless there’s a subsequent agreement to the contrary, there will not be a five round draft next season. That was part of the emergency plan for 2020.

thanks for the extra info.. So I guess 2021 will be 20 rounds, and it will probably take time to chip it down to less than 20. But I think that's what the owners
    ultimately want. It kind of makes sense.. relatively few players beyond round 10 actually make it.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Haven't checked today on an update but as of yesterday 16 of the 160 drafted players have yet to sign.

The signing deadline is August 1st.

Around 150 players have signed as NDFA's, that's right in line with the tally from each of the past six seasons that I've found data on.

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post

Around 150 players have signed as NDFA's, that's right in line with the tally from each of the past six seasons that I've found data on.
    Here's an article about one of those for our Reds: https://www.therecordherald.com/news...incinnati-reds
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Reds sign an OF from Cal State Bakersfield.

https://www.kget.com/news/local-news...ncinnati-reds/

Reds officially sign Jackson Miller. No $$ available yet. All draft picks signed.

21. Likes:

camisadelgolf (07-11-2020)

Turn Off Ads?