Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elephant in the Room - Castellanos and Bauer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Elephant in the Room - Castellanos and Bauer

With everything going on have we realized yet it’s possible Castellanos might never play 1 inning for the Reds during the regular season if he opts out? “We” May have traded an asset (TT) for 2 months of Bauer?

Ughhhhhhhh
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Re: Elephant in the Room - Castellanos and Bauer

The mind that is anxious about future events is miserable.

~ Seneca

3. Likes:

BoxingRed (03-28-2020),Fil3232 (03-28-2020),Frank Robinson (03-30-2020),GAC (03-30-2020),goreds2 (03-27-2020),LexRedsFan (04-01-2020),North (03-27-2020),Red Raindog (03-27-2020),redsfandan (03-27-2020),redsmetz (04-01-2020),sjjones (03-28-2020),WrongVerb (03-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The mind that is anxious about future events is miserable.

~ Seneca
    Just pointing out. It’s a very real (and in my opinion) likely scenario we don’t see baseball this season. If that happens the reds will have gone all in on a season that didn’t happen.

Obviously more important things in the world to worry about and this is absolutely not the reds fault. But wow, talk about a snakebit franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Just pointing out. It’s a very real (and in my opinion) likely scenario we don’t see baseball this season. If that happens the reds will have gone all in on a season that didn’t happen.

Obviously more important things in the world to worry about and this is absolutely not the reds fault. But wow, talk about a snakebit franchise.
    I disagree that it's a likely scenario. I think it's much more likely that they'll play sometime this summer. As for Bauer, free agent money is going to be awfully tight. If the Reds give Bauer a qualifying offer, he very well might take it. He's obviously not opposed to one yr deals

6. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (03-31-2020)

There are a lot of teams in the same situation. The Dodgers may have traded a bundle for Betts for nothing

I don't see anyway Castellanos opts out at this point. If things are so bad they don't have a season there is virtually no chance of it. Owners will be clutching every penny if things get that bad.

9. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (03-31-2020),LexRedsFan (04-01-2020),REDREAD (03-30-2020)

It could be worse. We could be the Dodgers trading valuable players to Boston to never see Mookie Betts suit up in Dodger blue during the regular season.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

11. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (03-29-2020),goldglover9 (03-27-2020),JCM11 (03-30-2020),redsfandan (03-27-2020)

Castellanos has another opt out in 2021 so I doubt he would opt to find a new deal.
    Bauer would likely sign another one year deal with Cincinnati as long as they didn't try to low ball him.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (03-30-2020)

There's a million and one possibilities as to how it will all play out. The OP is one.

15. Likes:

Sea Ray (03-31-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I’d be surprised if Castellanos goes anywhere, Bauer is a wild card though.

The fact that the Reds went in it to win it is probably the reason this is all happening, given how cursed this city’s sports teams are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    It could be worse. We could be the Dodgers trading valuable players to Boston to never see Mookie Betts suit up in Dodger blue during the regular season.
    That’s the one that really, really stings

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I’d be surprised if Castellanos goes anywhere, Bauer is a wild card though.
    Yea, I agree, Bauer is very difficult to predict. At one time, he said he would always go with one year deals to maximize his earnings.. but I don't know the context of that comment.. Did he mean prior to Free Agency?

The Reds would likely offer Bauer arbitration at the end of the season. Would he accept it? I think there would be a lot of teams willing to give him a lot of money on a long term contract. It might be enough guaranteed money for him to sign long term.. In any event, I am guessing that Bauer will test free agency, even if this season is wiped out.. He has almost nothing to lose by doing so. He would only have to stay healthy from the time Free Agency starts to when he gets signed.

The only way I see Bauer accepting the Reds' offer of arbitration is if he still believes in one year at a time only.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yea, I agree, Bauer is very difficult to predict. At one time, he said he would always go with one year deals to maximize his earnings.. but I don't know the context of that comment.. Did he mean prior to Free Agency?

The Reds would likely offer Bauer arbitration at the end of the season. Would he accept it? I think there would be a lot of teams willing to give him a lot of money on a long term contract. It might be enough guaranteed money for him to sign long term.. In any event, I am guessing that Bauer will test free agency, even if this season is wiped out.. He has almost nothing to lose by doing so. He would only have to stay healthy from the time Free Agency starts to when he gets signed.

The only way I see Bauer accepting the Reds' offer of arbitration is if he still believes in one year at a time only.
    I think Bauer is just a FA this year.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (04-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post

Bauer would be crazy to not accept the Reds arbitration offer. It's a small sample size, but with the Reds his numbers were pretty bad: 6.93 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, .261 BAA.

There's not a big free agent market for, not just signing a 30 year old pitcher with those kind of numbers, but also having to give up a draft pick as well.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (04-03-2020)

It would suck for sure, but there is literally no possible way to plan for something like this so just roll with the punches if that happens. I'm guessing in 6-8 weeks we will be on the positive side of all this with Baseball getting ramped up.

23. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-27-2020),Rdirtypirates (03-27-2020),redsfandan (03-27-2020)

Is it confirmed that players will accrue a year of service time (and thus be FA) even if there is no season?
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?