Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elephant in the Room - Castellanos and Bauer

Re: Elephant in the Room - Castellanos and Bauer

If this happens, it will just be like an injury happened. Nothing anyone can do. There’s risk in everything.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (03-29-2020),Revering4Blue (03-30-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The big issue for Reds after 2020 will be the starting rotation.

Bauer and Disco will be free agents, that’s 2/5 of the rotation. There’s a fair chance Castellanos would stay, Reds guaranteed him a lot of money, so that’s a lesser concern.

I like the idea of using 7-inning doubleheader games to build up the 2020 season. Two games, 14 innings, seems like a pretty civilized idea.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-27-2020 at 05:55 PM.

We are going to get a season. I firmly believe that. It may only be 3 mos but we’ll have a 2020.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

The players are talking about playing all the way up to Thanksgiving potentially to get as much of a season in as possible which is nuts.

I feel pretty good about their chances of retaining Bauer, as noted elsewhere the free agent market is probably going to be non existent this offseason, so if he gets a QO I imagine he’ll take it.

7. Likes:

malcontent (03-28-2020),REDREAD (03-30-2020)

Look on the bright side; we all might die.

Besides, I thought the elephant would be in the opening day parade.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 03-28-2020 at 01:41 AM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

9. Likes:

Fil3232 (03-28-2020),Roy Tucker (03-28-2020)

Unlucky Reds fans. It seems that just as the Reds were finally holding all the right cards, we discover that somebody had unknowingly changed the game to checkers.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The big issue for Reds after 2020 will be the starting rotation.
    It'll be an issue, for sure, but not an insurmountable one.

First off, the Reds still have Tyler Mahle. He's a capable replacement and fifth starter.

If Bauer dips out, Cincinnati will also have $25 - $30M (assuming payroll stays the same) to spend on SP replacements, a SS (Garcia?), a RP (Kuhnel?), and possibly a catcher (Tyler Stephenson?).

There's also Lodolo in the minor leagues.

Replacing two SP will be tough, but it's doable with what the Reds have currently.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Look on the bright side; we all might die.
    Spit take of my Pinot noir.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

If there is part of a baseball season, it's still a baseball season and Castellanos and Bauer can help the Reds contend.

It's all relative so whether they play 40 games or 162 games it's a season spent helping Cincinnati - who cares about the money or money per game.

That's what I'm telling myself.

Granted if there is no season that is bad news for the Reds here, but it sure seems like all sides are working on getting some baseball out there.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    The players are talking about playing all the way up to Thanksgiving potentially to get as much of a season in as possible which is nuts.
    All neutral site enclosed retractable-domed post-September games ?
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

15. Likes:

marcshoe (03-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I’d be surprised if Castellanos goes anywhere, Bauer is a wild card though.
    Yea, I agree, Bauer is very difficult to predict. At one time, he said he would always go with one year deals to maximize his earnings.. but I don't know the context of that comment.. Did he mean prior to Free Agency?

The Reds would likely offer Bauer arbitration at the end of the season. Would he accept it? I think there would be a lot of teams willing to give him a lot of money on a long term contract. It might be enough guaranteed money for him to sign long term.. In any event, I am guessing that Bauer will test free agency, even if this season is wiped out.. He has almost nothing to lose by doing so. He would only have to stay healthy from the time Free Agency starts to when he gets signed.

The only way I see Bauer accepting the Reds' offer of arbitration is if he still believes in one year at a time only.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    All neutral site enclosed retractable-domed post-September games ?
    Forget domes, play all games in a plastic bubble.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yea, I agree, Bauer is very difficult to predict. At one time, he said he would always go with one year deals to maximize his earnings.. but I don't know the context of that comment.. Did he mean prior to Free Agency?

The Reds would likely offer Bauer arbitration at the end of the season. Would he accept it? I think there would be a lot of teams willing to give him a lot of money on a long term contract. It might be enough guaranteed money for him to sign long term.. In any event, I am guessing that Bauer will test free agency, even if this season is wiped out.. He has almost nothing to lose by doing so. He would only have to stay healthy from the time Free Agency starts to when he gets signed.

The only way I see Bauer accepting the Reds' offer of arbitration is if he still believes in one year at a time only.
    I think Bauer is just a FA this year.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

20. Likes:

REDREAD (04-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post

Bauer would be crazy to not accept the Reds arbitration offer. It's a small sample size, but with the Reds his numbers were pretty bad: 6.93 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, .261 BAA.

There's not a big free agent market for, not just signing a 30 year old pitcher with those kind of numbers, but also having to give up a draft pick as well.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (04-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    With everything going on have we realized yet it’s possible Castellanos might never play 1 inning for the Reds during the regular season if he opts out? “We” May have traded an asset (TT) for 2 months of Bauer?

Ughhhhhhhh
    I'll never understand the love for TT.

Turn Off Ads?