Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

Re: UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Haarms to BYU makes no sense...for Haarms that is.

- - - Updated - - -

Haarms to BYU makes no sense...for Haarms that is.
    It doesn’t. Unless it’s academic which is entirely possible.

I know BZ will disagree with me on this but I think Cal is way too loyal to his staff just like Tubby was. It’s apples and asparagus to compare the two coaches because Cal doesn’t have Kentucky anywhere near where Tubby left the program. In terms of staff loyalty though especially with Justus and Barbee it’s pretty noticeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wake Forest star center Olivier Sarr transferring to Kentucky. 3rd team All-ACC is a huge get for Cal and for next season's Kentucky team.

There's not much in the cupboard, but my goodness, they have talent coming in.

Steve Forbes has a bit of his old boss Gregg Marshall in him, LOL:

"I think the most important thing is, why would you go to Wake for three years, put all that time in to get this prestigious degree, and end up getting your degree at a place like Kentucky?" Forbes said.

If Sarrs is eligible immediately (and frankly, it would be a shock if he weren't), UK should be relatively set across the board:

PG Devin Askew/ Davion Mintz
    SG BJ Boston/ Dontae Allen
    SF Terrence Clark/ Cam'Ron Fletcher
    PF Keion Brooks/ Lance Ware
    C Olivier Sarr/ Isaiah Jackson

Two deep across the board, with Jacob Toppin as a practice player/ redshirt learning the ropes.

Nice blend of experience (Mintz and Sarr are seniors, Brooks saw some limited action, Allen practices during a medical redshirt season) and youth. Should have some very good shooters in Boston, Brooks (who showed good release and mechanics), and Allen, with Clark a scorer more than a shooter. Sarr can post up, rebound, and defend. Jackson is underrated. Askew doesn't have to come in and be perfect-- he has a nice complement if need be.

Sarrs' transfer, IMO, makes Kentucky one of the teams most likely to win the NCAA next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Wake Forest star center Olivier Sarr transferring to Kentucky. 3rd team All-ACC is a huge get for Cal and for next season's Kentucky team.

There's not much in the cupboard, but my goodness, they have talent coming in.
    They could still add a player or two I think. They’re in on a kid from Evansville.

Sarr is a huge get and UK will likely now be a preseason top 10 team (10-15 before) but I think the same thing that has constantly been an issue since 2015 will be the same issue again, lack of cohesiveness. The entire season will be a roller coaster right up until March.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    They could still add a player or two I think. They’re in on a kid from Evansville.
    If they get him, this team is the one to beat.

They'll probably lose some games in the regular season they shouldn't.

But by March?

Typically, the teams with the most talent and best coaching stick around a long time and prove to be tough outs. Kentucky would be capable of playing just about any style with any team in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Steve Forbes has a bit of his old boss Gregg Marshall in him, LOL:

"I think the most important thing is, why would you go to Wake for three years, put all that time in to get this prestigious degree, and end up getting your degree at a place like Kentucky?" Forbes said.
    Depends on what the player wants.

If you want a school for academics, yeah Wake is probably a better fit.

If you want a better chance at a championship and to get to the NBA, it’s not even close.

I think Forbes knew he wasn’t going to be keeping him.

Wake Forest is a fine school, but it's not one for me that really moves the needle when I look at a resume. There aren't very many schools that do that, and Wake really isn't one of them. I just think it's funny that Forbes would say that out loud.

Wake Forest is a fine school, but it's not one for me that really moves the needle when I look at a resume. There aren't very many schools that do that, and Wake really isn't one of them. I just think it's funny that Forbes would say that out loud.
    Poking the bear, perhaps.

Not a bad way to announce your presence, honestly.

Clever to do so with a fanbase as... delicate as Kentucky's. Ensures maximum visibility and puts Wake in the mind of perspective quality students (and their parents). (If he's fighting NC State, Virginia Tech, and others in that third or fourth echelon of Division I basketball, it's a great way to separate his squad from others.) Too, it's not like he'll ever have to put words to actions-- Wake Forest and Kentucky don't play each other.

When you compare it with the SEC though, Wake is probably like Vanderbilt. The only draw is the degree.

UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

If they get him, this team is the one to beat.

They'll probably lose some games in the regular season they shouldn't.

But by March?

Typically, the teams with the most talent and best coaching stick around a long time and prove to be tough outs. Kentucky would be capable of playing just about any style with any team in America.
    A player who came off the bench in the win over Kentucky is now being compared to Lamar Odom.

I’d feel better about this team had they brought more back than Keion Brooks. Add to the team instead of constantly starting over.

A player who came off the bench in the win over Kentucky is now being compared to Lamar Odom.
    Sure, it's hyperbole.

But 15/7/3 is a nice line no matter who you're playing. As is 45% from deep. At 6'9".

He solves some issues up front as a relatively proven shooter and defender. He's another body, but a body with talent enough to be very, very good at the collegiate level.

Add to the team instead of constantly starting over.
    I really don't get your beef. Calipari is as successful as any coach in the history of UK. (And man, is that saying something.)

He has a decade-long history of starting over, finding ways to win during the regular season, and being very difficult to deal with in the NCAA Tournament.

I really don't get your beef. Calipari is as successful as any coach in the history of UK. (And man, is that saying something.)

He has a decade-long history of starting over, finding ways to win during the regular season, and being very difficult to deal with in the NCAA Tournament.
    I’m not saying he isn’t.

Cals first five years (minus the 2012-2013 season) was some of the best basketball of my lifetime. Playing in two championships and winning one, two more final four appearances and an elite eight in his first season. He more than put Kentucky back on the map during that time.

Ever since the end of the 2014-2015 season though it has been different. The turnover on the teams has gotten worse and Cals teams have underachieved in the tournament (losing to Auburn last year and K-State the year before). It’s one thing to constantly reload but having a couple holdovers brings leadership which the Cal teams during this time have desperately lacked. You can’t add grad transfers to the list because they are learning the system same as the freshmen.

Cal is also not getting the top overall recruits as in the past whether it’s due to the FBI probe and players being offered money by other schools or players figuring out they don’t need to go to a fishbowl like Kentucky to be selected high in the draft (development is a different story as Cal is the best at that).

This upcoming season will be the same. Preseason top 5 team, will struggle throughout the season and will be in the 3-5 seed range and maybe a 2 if things break right. Depending on the Coronavirus, who knows if we even have another tournament to find out next season.

I’m not saying he isn’t.

Cals first five years (minus the 2012-2013 season) was some of the best basketball of my lifetime. Playing in two championships and winning one, two more final four appearances and an elite eight in his first season. He more than put Kentucky back on the map during that time.

Ever since the end of the 2014-2015 season though it has been different. The turnover on the teams has gotten worse and Cals teams have underachieved in the tournament (losing to Auburn last year and K-State the year before). It’s one thing to constantly reload but having a couple holdovers brings leadership which the Cal teams during this time have desperately lacked. You can’t add grad transfers to the list because they are learning the system same as the freshmen.
    The turnover last year was actually quite low, and they still struggled. Still, that struggle is relative. They went to the Elite 8 twice and the Sweet 16 once in the past five years. This year, they had a real chance to win it all. They won the SEC crown this year. They won it three times in the last five years. I don't know of too many squads in the country that wouldn't trade.

Cal is also not getting the top overall recruits as in the past whether it’s due to the FBI probe and players being offered money by other schools or players figuring out they don’t need to go to a fishbowl like Kentucky to be selected high in the draft (development is a different story as Cal is the best at that).
    Best recruiting ranking in the nation this year, with two wings inside the top 10.

Best or second-best recruiting ranking every year since Calipari has been at Kentucky. Except one.

He was third that year.

This upcoming season will be the same. Preseason top 5 team, will struggle throughout the season and will be in the 3-5 seed range and maybe a 2 if things break right. Depending on the Coronavirus, who knows if we even have another tournament to find out next season.
    I don't think you can say any of this with any kind of confidence.

Turn Off Ads?