Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 106

Thread: UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

  1. #1
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,540

    UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

    Johnny Juzang enters the portal.

    Was kinda surprised but it tells me Quickley and/or Maxey will be back. Surprised nobody from Kentucky has declared for the draft yet but you have to feel itís coming.

    Hopefully this ends Cal recruiting the west coast. First Jemarl Baker and now Juzang. Devin Askew reclassified but he looks to be one and done.

    Still, a loaded recruiting class coming in. Should be interesting to see who comes back.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,097

    Re: UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

    Juzang, wanting to move back west, has Villanova, Texas Tech, Notre Dame, and Virginia in his final six schools.

    EJ Montgomery's Dad basically said he's ready to leave. Quickley looks like an early 2nd rounder, so he's likely going to go as well. Maxey's a late lottery guy. (Maybe.)

    The one that confuses me, in terms of draft picking, is Nick Richards. Dude went 14/8. Michigan State and OSU aside, he played his best ball against the best teams Kentucky played. (And the best bigs.) He's an elite athlete, a rim-runner who can also shoot already out to 18. Premier defender and shot blocker. Outstanding rebounder. His upside is an All-Star level stretch five. His floor is a second-unit rim-runner and 15 mpg defense-first guy who won't embarrass himself against wings or bigs.

    That should have value, especially in a weak draft.

    Explain it to me, Kentucky fans.

  4. #3
    You serious Clark? Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    2,240

    Re: UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Juzang, wanting to move back west, has Villanova, Texas Tech, Notre Dame, and Virginia in his final six schools.
    Not what Yahoo reported this morning. It was UCLA, Arizona, Oregon, 'Nova, Texas Tech, and Notre Dame.
    Fake news

  5. #4
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,097

    Re: UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

    Interesting game on KSR. You've got $15 and need a starting five from the following list:

    $5 Guys
    John Wall
    Jamal Murray
    Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    Karl-Anthony Towns
    Anthony Davis

    $4 Guys
    Brandon Knight
    Malik Monk
    Devin Booker
    Julius Randle
    DeMarcus Cousins

    $3 Guys
    D'Aaron Fox
    Doron Lamb
    D. Miller
    Terrence Jones
    Willie Cauley-Stein

    $2 Guys
    Tyler Ulis
    Aaron Harrison
    Tyler Herro
    PJ Washington
    Bam Adebayo

    $1 Guys
    Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
    I. Quickley
    Kevin Knox
    P. Patterson
    Nick Richards

    My picks:
    PG SGA
    SG Monk
    SF Booker
    PF Patterson
    C AD
    They'll be loose with the ball, but SGA and AD are great college-level defenders, and Patterson's not too far behind. Better, I might have an elite shooting team. And the length would be ridiculous.

    Who you got?

  6. #5
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,540

    Re: UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Interesting game on KSR. You've got $15 and need a starting five from the following list:

    $5 Guys
    John Wall
    Jamal Murray
    Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    Karl-Anthony Towns
    Anthony Davis

    $4 Guys
    Brandon Knight
    Malik Monk
    Devin Booker
    Julius Randle
    DeMarcus Cousins

    $3 Guys
    D'Aaron Fox
    Doron Lamb
    D. Miller
    Terrence Jones
    Willie Cauley-Stein

    $2 Guys
    Tyler Ulis
    Aaron Harrison
    Tyler Herro
    PJ Washington
    Bam Adebayo

    $1 Guys
    Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
    I. Quickley
    Kevin Knox
    P. Patterson
    Nick Richards

    My picks:
    PG SGA
    SG Monk
    SF Booker
    PF Patterson
    C AD
    They'll be loose with the ball, but SGA and AD are great college-level defenders, and Patterson's not too far behind. Better, I might have an elite shooting team. And the length would be ridiculous.

    Who you got?
    PG-Ulis (2)
    SG-Lamb (3)
    SF-Booker (4)
    PF-Randle (4)
    C-Adebayo (2)

    Up front might be testing it, but Ulis as a $2 player is a great value and would probably be a $4-$5 on any other teams top PGs. Same with Adebayo.

    Lamb and Booker are the two best shooters in the Cal era.

    Could easily have swapped Knight for Ulis and Washington for Randle. Imagine having to guard Knight, Lamb, and Booker.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  7. #6
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,097

    Re: UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Lamb and Booker are the two best shooters in the Cal era.
    Okay, you talked me into it.

    PG Ulis
    SG Lamb
    SF Booker
    PF Patterson
    C AD

    Ulis was outstanding on the ball and would have help if he ever got beat. Wing defense would be non-existent, but I'm guessing they'd shoot better than their opposition even so. Patterson is an elite rebounder and finisher around the basket and an All-SEC First-Team Defense guy. AD is... AD.

  8. #7
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,540

    Re: UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

    To the surprise of nobody:

    BREAKING: Ashton Hagans declares for the NBA Draft

    https://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...the-nba-draft/

    Hope he likes the G-League.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  9. Likes:

    cumberlandreds (04-06-2020)

  10. #8
    Moderator cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    14,020

    Re: UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    To the surprise of nobody:

    BREAKING: Ashton Hagans declares for the NBA Draft

    https://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...the-nba-draft/

    Hope he likes the G-League.
    Same here. I just don't see him ever being much of an NBA player. Same for any of those guys on the 19-20 team. Maybe Maxey in time. Richards could be a good backup I suppose if he keeps working at being more consistent. But its rinse and repeat for the next season. Whenever that may be.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  11. #9
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,097

    Re: UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Same here. I just don't see him ever being much of an NBA player.
    Really like Richards as a backup/ second-division starting center in the WCS mold. As a floor, he's a second unit defender and rim-runner, but his upside is of a three-point shooter/ stretch five who can rebound.

    Maxey may end up a better shooter at the next level, but he's probably a second-unit microwave guy. Ditto Quickley.

    Hagans might be that guy too, but that's his ceiling.

    All three are willing and capable defenders. That counts for something.

    Montgomery, I have no clue.

  12. #10
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,540

    Re: UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

    Maxey going pro, no surprise.

    Keion Brooks Jr coming back as well. Going to be fighting for minutes with Isaiah Jackson and Lance Ware.

    Matt Haarms is a possibility as a grad transfer. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  13. #11
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,097

    Re: UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Matt Haarms is a possibility as a grad transfer. Thoughts?
    7'3" true center.

    Mobile and an exceptional defender at the rim.

    Can shoot, but took a slight step back last season offensively. He struggled a bit in the Big 10 last year. Frankly, he hasn't shown much growth over his three year career. I'd love to have him just for the tools. As a "veteran," he'd be a great last line of defense and allow the Cats much more favorable matchups against just about anyone.

  14. #12
    Moderator cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    14,020

    Re: UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Johnny Juzang enters the portal.

    Was kinda surprised but it tells me Quickley and/or Maxey will be back. Surprised nobody from Kentucky has declared for the draft yet but you have to feel it’s coming.

    Hopefully this ends Cal recruiting the west coast. First Jemarl Baker and now Juzang. Devin Askew reclassified but he looks to be one and done.

    Still, a loaded recruiting class coming in. Should be interesting to see who comes back.
    Juzang to UCLA. I think he may have been homesick more than anything.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  15. #13
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,097

    Re: UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

    As one leaves, another (two?) enter.

    Davion Mintz, Creighton PG, transfers to UK. He'll likely split time with Devin Askew at the point. Known for good defense and a steady hand on the ball, he's a willing passer and streaky shooter.

    Kentucky also apparently leads for Purdue grad transfer Matt Haarms. He's another very strong defender and can knock down the open three as well.

    Should Kentucky add both, they're floor rises a great deal and their ceiling improves too. Haarm as a rim-protecting center is the kind of piece most squads just don't have. Surrounding him with bucket-getting wings (and a solid-shooting and rebounding stretch four like Brooks) provides Calipari with a squad who might not only compete for a title, but be favored to win one at the outset of the season.

  16. #14
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,540

    Re: UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    As one leaves, another (two?) enter.

    Davion Mintz, Creighton PG, transfers to UK. He'll likely split time with Devin Askew at the point. Known for good defense and a steady hand on the ball, he's a willing passer and streaky shooter.

    Kentucky also apparently leads for Purdue grad transfer Matt Haarms. He's another very strong defender and can knock down the open three as well.

    Should Kentucky add both, they're floor rises a great deal and their ceiling improves too. Haarm as a rim-protecting center is the kind of piece most squads just don't have. Surrounding him with bucket-getting wings (and a solid-shooting and rebounding stretch four like Brooks) provides Calipari with a squad who might not only compete for a title, but be favored to win one at the outset of the season.
    The only concerns I see with this team as it stands:

    1. Inside scoring. Nick Richards is likely gone and even if they get Matt Haarms heís more of a defensive player.

    2. Perimeter shooting. Not sure how good BJ Boston and Terrence Clarke will be from the perimeter. It just seems like UK has had a major problem with streakiness from there in recent years with the exception of Quickley late last season.

    Speaking of Quickley, he gone too.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  17. #15
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,097

    Re: UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    1. Inside scoring. Nick Richards is likely gone and even if they get Matt Haarms he’s more of a defensive player.
    Maybe. I suspect, if EJ Montgomery stays, he's your inside scoring threat, such as it is. If not, Brooks can post his man pretty easily. So can Boston (whose length is ridiculous). Or Clarke (whose hops are even more so). I'd prefer, however, that Calipari just go to a five-out offense with no discernible post player. Five guys rotate. Five guys push the ball. Five guys run like Hades. I love that style, and he may be pushed to do that with this squad.

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    2. Perimeter shooting. Not sure how good BJ Boston and Terrence Clarke will be from the perimeter. It just seems like UK has had a major problem with streakiness from there in recent years with the exception of Quickley late last season.
    As always, perimeter shooting is a concern. You just don't know how young people are going to react to the college game. That said, Mintz is a capable shooter (35% from deep). Dontiae Allen could absolutely fill it up from 30 feet in in high school. He's been practicing for a season at UK and should have a (much) better idea of how fast the college game really is. Brooks has good range from deep at the stretch four. If Haarm or Montgomery come back, Kentucky could have above average shooters already at three or four spots.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator