Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: UK Basketball 2020-2021: ? Has Entered the Draft/Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Don’t know but I don’t understand Chris Mack’s perspective.

There’s a very real possibility that fans will be limited or won’t be allowed in Rupp next year either. Not playing the game is going to kill what little in state revenue plus tv revenue is left.
    Yeah, something doesn't make sense there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

You have to remember, Chris Mack is kind of a d-bag.

4. Likes:

WVRed (09-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Yeah, after this I’m pretty sure of it now:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...alry-escalates
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    But what's his point?

That they don't get to play in front of fans, so... they should be able to play in front of fans next year?

That sounds both childish and frightened, not to mention fairly tone deaf.

(Were I that fan, I'd insert an old, old joke from the Eddie Sutton days, IIRC, about "little brothers" being "little brothers" forever.)

7. Likes:

WVRed (09-29-2020)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

What is the "word" out of Lexington concerning Bryce Hopkins?

Olivier Sarr and Jacob Toppin were announced as eligible by the NCAA and SEC today.

Good news for UK and for both players.

Sarr is almost assuredly the starting center on a team that has a ton of talent but little actual game experience together.

Okay, no game experience together. Seriously. No two players have officially played together ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Olivier Sarr and Jacob Toppin were announced as eligible by the NCAA and SEC today.

Good news for UK and for both players.

Sarr is almost assuredly the starting center on a team that has a ton of talent but little actual game experience together.

Okay, no game experience together. Seriously. No two players have officially played together ever.
    And Keion Brooks has been limited in practice.

But yeah, today was yuuugggeee. Kentucky is going to win and win bigly.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

PG Askew/ Mintz
    2G Boston/ Allen
    SF Clarke/ Fletcher
    PF Brooks/ Ware/ Toppin
    C Sarr/ Jackson

That's probably not the actual way they'll line up. (Calipari tends to fall in love with huge lineups, so I expect to see Brooks play a lot of SF, for example.) But that's the way I'd do it. He'll have to whittle it down by NCAA time, of course, but there's obviously a lot of talent there. Perhaps they'll have enough that some guys stick around for Year Two. (Toppin, Ware, Fletcher, Allen, and perhaps Askew would be really nice.)

PG Askew/ Mintz
    2G Boston/ Allen
    SF Clarke/ Fletcher
    PF Brooks/ Ware/ Toppin
    C Sarr/ Jackson

That's probably not the actual way they'll line up. (Calipari tends to fall in love with huge lineups, so I expect to see Brooks play a lot of SF, for example.) But that's the way I'd do it. He'll have to whittle it down by NCAA time, of course, but there's obviously a lot of talent there. Perhaps they'll have enough that some guys stick around for Year Two. (Toppin, Ware, Fletcher, Allen, and perhaps Askew would be really nice.)
    As of right now Nolan Hickman is the only recruit committee for next year although I expect Skyy Clark to join the fold tomorrow.

As of right now Nolan Hickman is the only recruit committee for next year although I expect Skyy Clark to join the fold tomorrow.
    They may not need all that much, honestly.

Hickman and Clark may be all that's needed in the backcourt/ on the wings.

They'll probably need at least one guy underneath, though that depends on how advanced Jackson, Ware, Toppin, and Fletcher become.

They may not need all that much, honestly.

Hickman and Clark may be all that's needed in the backcourt/ on the wings.

They'll probably need at least one guy underneath, though that depends on how advanced Jackson, Ware, Toppin, and Fletcher become.
    Bryce Hopkins (former Louisville commit) expected to join the Cats tomorrow.

Any concern that for the last few recruiting classes Kentucky hasn’t landed the bonafide top 3 recruit who ends up being no 1 overall in the draft? I don’t know if it’s because Cal has changed his approach (although Herro and SGA defied the odds) or if those players are going to Duke, going to another school to stay out of the spotlight, or taking funny money.

Any concern that for the last few recruiting classes Kentucky hasn’t landed the bonafide top 3 recruit who ends up being no 1 overall in the draft? I don’t know if it’s because Cal has changed his approach (although Herro and SGA defied the odds) or if those players are going to Duke, going to another school to stay out of the spotlight, or taking funny money.
    There are differing schools of thought on this, WV:

There's the others-are-doing-it-now argument. Talent tends to win, all things considered. Having the top prospects would be ideal. But the game has moved on. Once Calipari proved you could win with freshmen largely driving the boat, Duke signed on. That's two in the sandbox. Then Kansas and UNC and Arizona and UCLA and now, pretty much everyone realizes that having more talent (and perhaps less time together) is one way to win and win big. Too, those top prospects are also now moving onto professional leagues to get paid now-- either here in this country or elsewhere.As a result, UK has fewer chances at the top guy who has his eyes set firmly on the brass ring as early as he can get it. Because of that, Calipari has been forced to actually coach again. (This is likely the most negative-- and most popular among opposing fanbases-- viewpoint.)

There's the argument that coaching lesser players is more personally rewarding and gratifying argument too. Instead of choosing the very best talent and figuring out the egos inherent, Cal's taking top talent that's willing to "sacrifice." This isn't for everybody, he says. That's code (and good PR) for the realization that, oft-times, "lesser" five stars or high four stars with drive can be better players for the program and provide a narrative that the coach is responsible for his development. I suspect, for example, Calipari very much enjoyed coaching up Willie Cauley-Stein, Tyler Ulis, and Devin Booker in UK's near-undefeated season a few years ago and getting the accolades that came with it. All were lesser heralded recruits who "developed" under Cal's tutelage. SGA and Herro, Darius Miller and Eric Bledsoe-- he has a history of pushing a specific type of kid and making him better. (That kid tends to have a bit of "dog" in him-- cocksure in his own talents, a perpetual chip in his shoulder, and a hatred for losing-- similar to Calipari himself, I think.) Cal gets accolades for coaching them up, the kids get buzz for working hard. Works out for both sides, and he doesn't have to deal with too many ridiculous egos.

At the same time, he's not stupid. Calipari knows that his best teams have veterans who can counsel the young guys. The good news there is that he's also getting some recognition for making players better in multiple seasons. Kids can then save face, accept that second season as a learning experience, and maybe grab that near-lottery selections. PJ Washington's helped that narrative. Quickley winning SEC POY this last season will help, as might Nick Richards (whom I like to have a long pro career as a rim-running center who's serviceable for a decade). He can get in a kid's ear early about two year development and stash him on the bench or in a lesser role, but it takes a special kid who's willing to do that. (Hence, the messaging.)

The third argument focuses on just how hard recruiting is. As he ages, Calipari likely doesn't want to spend as much time on the road anymore. Recruiting fewer monster stars (with the ensuing monster lists and monster egos and monster demands) is one way he can spend less time chasing and more time coaching. At this point, instead of going all stars, rolling the balls out and letting them play, then doing it again next year, he's choosing to focus on a couple star players and some lesser guys who might stay longer to develop. I suspect he's fine with three scorers, a premier defender/ rebounder, and a solid veteran/ role player in his starting lineup. His "six guys" mantra is interesting-- if opposing teams have to worry about six guys on your team who can score 25+, you're going to be a hard team to prepare for. In short, he claims (again, messaging) that a stars-and-scrubs approach with a veteran team can win championships. (And he's not wrong-- the evidence is pretty strong that it can.)

If given his choice, I suspect Calipari would prefer to sign five top prospects, all of whom have chips on their shoulders, hate to lose, and are willing to stay two or three years before going to the NBA and becoming superstars. On top of that, he could also sign five four stars (or lower) who develop into stars both at UK and in the pros. A mix of SGA, Tyler Herro, AD, Boogie Cousins, and Bam Adebayo. Since that's not happening, he tries to sign the best talent possible that's also interested in his style (and brand) that won't be too ridiculous in their expectations and actions.

(On a selfish note, if Calipari actually made the choice to stop recruiting all five stars, I'd love to know the player who convinced Calipari not to go that route anymore. Or to limit it. I'm guessing getting burned by one too many "yeah, I'm committing to you, coach" phone calls before the kid has a change of heart. I'm also guessing Andrew Wiggins or Zion Williamson, both players Kentucky were seemingly locked in on before having to scramble at the last minute.)

Perhaps this is a side effect of other squads entering the freshmen to the NBA pipeline. Perhaps it's just messaging. Perhaps it's a bit of age creeping into that impossible work ethic. Perhaps it's ego too. I suspect it's a bit of column A and a bit from column B.

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-25-2020)

Damion Collins announcing on Saturday and the expected choice is UK. He’s been getting Anthony Davis comparisons and is the first recruit Jai Lucas has had an impact in landing if he commits.

Damion Collins announcing on Saturday and the expected choice is UK. He’s been getting Anthony Davis comparisons and is the first recruit Jai Lucas has had an impact in landing if he commits.
    Lots of good news lately in terms of recruiting.

The number of Kentucky alums dominating in the NBA certainly had to help the narrative in that regard.

WBB Coach Mitchell retires suddenly. Had brain surgery over the pandemic break. Might well be the reason.

2020 has had a decade of bad news all wrapped up in one crappy year.

Turn Off Ads?