Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 29 Man Roster

The 29 Man Roster

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/03/27...eball-returns/

So when MLB returns, "the first month of the season or so " will be have 29 man rosters. I assume the emphasis will be to keep extra pitching with the potential double headers...

but that said. Who's on your 2020 Reds 29 Man roster to start the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

2. Likes:

DocRed (03-28-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The 29 Man Roster

SP Luis Castillo
    SP Sonny Gray
    SP Trevor Bauer
    SP Anthony DeSclafani
    SP Wade Miley
    SP Tyler Mahle
    Comment: Not many teams have a top six as good as the Reds'. Mahle is slumming it as a sixth starter and has serious upside. They do need all six to remain healthy-- which is a real concern. Brooks Raley and Tony Santillan are next up, and that's not great.

RP Raisel Iglesias
    RP Jared Lorenzen
    RP Amir Garrett
    RP Robert Stephenson
    RP Pedro Strop
    RP Cody Reed
    RP Lucas Sims
    RP Nate Jones
    RP Matt Bowman
    Comment: I'm adding Bowman at the bottom of the relief arms because they need at least one spot in the pen that has options. Bowman can go up and down along with Kuhnel and others. A lot of others. The rest of the pen is filled with high upside arms. This is the weak spot on this team, IMO, but is at least league average.

1B Joey Votto
    2B Mike Moustakas
    3B Eugenio Suarez
    SS Freddy Galvis
    C Tucker Barnhart
    LF Jesse Winker
    CF Nick Senzel
    RF Nick Castellanos
    Comment: Solid lineup with above average thump everywhere but C and SS. Balanced lineup with plenty of OBP and pop. SS and C are weak spots, relatively speaking.

C Curt Casali
    UT Kyle Farmer
    UT Josh VanMeter
    OF Shogo Akiyama
    OF Mark Payton
    OF Phil Ervin
    Comment: I want multiple options for PH from both sides of the plate. I've got three from each-- and most of them have pronounced platoon splits. (Which I will use to my advantage.) I also want redundancies across the board. I keep Payton if at all possible. Cheap production. VanMeter can move back and forth to Louisville if injuries occur. I thought about keeping an extra arm (as that's what Cincinnati is likely to do), but I wanted to pop off the bench. I also considered Blandino ahead of Farmer, VanMeter, and Payton, but figured Farmer could play there in a pinch. Solid bench, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    SP Luis Castillo
    SP Sonny Gray
    SP Trevor Bauer
    SP Anthony DeSclafani
    SP Wade Miley
    SP Tyler Mahle
    Comment: Not many teams have a top six as good as the Reds'. Mahle is slumming it as a sixth starter and has serious upside. They do need all six to remain healthy-- which is a real concern. Brooks Raley and Tony Santillan are next up, and that's not great.

RP Raisel Iglesias
    RP Jared Lorenzen
    RP Amir Garrett
    RP Robert Stephenson
    RP Pedro Strop
    RP Cody Reed
    RP Lucas Sims
    RP Nate Jones
    RP Matt Bowman
    Comment: I'm adding Bowman at the bottom of the relief arms because they need at least one spot in the pen that has options. Bowman can go up and down along with Kuhnel and others. A lot of others. The rest of the pen is filled with high upside arms. This is the weak spot on this team, IMO, but is at least league average.

1B Joey Votto
    2B Mike Moustakas
    3B Eugenio Suarez
    SS Freddy Galvis
    C Tucker Barnhart
    LF Jesse Winker
    CF Nick Senzel
    RF Nick Castellanos
    Comment: Solid lineup with above average thump everywhere but C and SS. Balanced lineup with plenty of OBP and pop. SS and C are weak spots, relatively speaking.

C Curt Casali
    UT Kyle Farmer
    UT Josh VanMeter
    OF Shogo Akiyama
    OF Mark Payton
    OF Phil Ervin
    Comment: I want multiple options for PH from both sides of the plate. I've got three from each-- and most of them have pronounced platoon splits. (Which I will use to my advantage.) I also want redundancies across the board. I keep Payton if at all possible. Cheap production. VanMeter can move back and forth to Louisville if injuries occur. I thought about keeping an extra arm (as that's what Cincinnati is likely to do), but I wanted to pop off the bench. I also considered Blandino ahead of Farmer, VanMeter, and Payton, but figured Farmer could play there in a pinch. Solid bench, IMO.
    Pretty good. I'd probably drop Payton and add another pitcher. I think we're going to need 5 starters and another 4 or 5 guys who can back them up for 2 or 3 innings each time through the rotation for the first month or so. Castillo, Gray, Disco, Bauer and Miley, with Mahle, Sims, Stephenson and Lorenzen backing them up. That leaves the late innings a little thin with Lorenzen and Stephenson pitching the 4th and 5th, Kuhnel would be my pick. He and Jones might be able to fill that late inning void created by the short starts eating up guys who are capable of multi-inning stints.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

RP Jared Lorenzen

Payton coming off a .636 OPS this spring. I’d put him in the category of highly unlikely to make Reds.

And, typo, wrong Lorenzen.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-28-2020 at 02:02 PM.

7. Likes:

RedsRocker (03-31-2020)

Don't needs 6 OF'ers with 29. Keep in mind Lorenzen can play OF better than probably any 6th guy could. Drop Payton and add either Dietrich or Blandino.
    Last edited by DocRed; 03-28-2020 at 06:52 PM.

9. Likes:

RedsRocker (03-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Payton coming off a .636 OPS this spring. I’d put him in the category of highly unlikely to make Reds.

And, typo, wrong Lorenzen.
    I swear to God, I do that all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Don't needs 6 OF'ers with 29. Drop Payton and add either Dietrich or Blandino
    Of those two, I'd prefer Blandino for the versatility.

12. Likes:

RedsRocker (03-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Don't needs 6 OF'ers with 29. Drop Payton and add either Dietrich or Blandino
    I can see that argument.

That said, VanMeter, Farmer, and Senzel can all play 2B, Dietrich's primary position.

And I like Payton's patience and hit tool over Dietrich's or Blandino's.

Blandino can play SS-- which is nice. I could see that.

I can see that argument.

That said, VanMeter, Farmer, and Senzel can all play 2B, Dietrich's primary position.

And I like Payton's patience and hit tool over Dietrich's or Blandino's.

Blandino can play SS-- which is nice. I could see that.
    I agree, I just have a soft spot for DD and his intangibles such as morale and leadership shouldn't be underestimated. That's probably not enough to get him on a 26 man roster but certainly makes it more possible with 29.

yes morale is more important than hitting 16 homeruns in a month

Sims is ready to step in as a 7th Starter.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-29-2020)

i heard dietrich and van meter are good public speakers and are members of the elks club that is good for morale a really important variable

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    yes morale is more important than hitting 16 homeruns in a month

20. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (03-29-2020),DocRed (03-29-2020),Edd Roush (03-29-2020),OGB (03-29-2020),Old school 1983 (03-29-2020),onehand (03-29-2020)

I’d expect Reds to keep Alex Blandino on an expanded roster. He plays second, short, third, has had a bit of OF experience, and would be a good jack of all trades who can fill in almost anywhere. Otherwise I expect teams to mostly keep extra pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    i heard dietrich and van meter are good public speakers and are members of the elks club that is good for morale a really important variable
    Not sure why Dietrich is a target of your ire. Pretty much every argument you have for Aquino could be made for Dietrich. (Dietrich's May OPS was actually higher than Aquino's August)

23. Likes:

DocRed (03-29-2020),OGB (03-29-2020),Old school 1983 (03-29-2020),RedlegJake (03-29-2020)

Turn Off Ads?