Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Largest ever hoard of Harold II found by Dectectorists

Largest ever hoard of Harold II found by Dectectorists

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Largest ever hoard of Harold II found by Dectectorists

Mr Staples, 43, said he and his girlfriend were training five friends to use their metal detectors on a weekend trip when they made the discovery.
    And for the rest of their lives, as long as they will be metal detecting, those five friends can count on never finding anything remotely interesting after this. My advice to them, hang up your detectors and take up swap meets.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    And for the rest of their lives, as long as they will be metal detecting, those five friends can count on never finding anything remotely interesting after this. My advice to them, hang up your detectors and take up swap meets.
    It's why I don't go to plays. Saw "Les Miserables" from the 8th row on Broadway in 1992. Tried several plays in Portland (the touring group is always subpar to the Broadway group) over the next year and was disappointed in all of them.

Has been that way with many television shows, though "The Detectorists" renewed my hope again, as it was as good as anything I've ever seen.

The teenager that burned the Columbia Gorge three years ago permanently ruined the hiking there. It will take a century to get back to remotely looking as good as it had. It changed the look (different colors, tree-clogged streams, heavy underbrush, burnt-black trees, and more) and feel (it's a hot hike instead of a cool one now) completely.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Has been that way with many television shows, though "The Detectorists" renewed my hope again, as it was as good as anything I've ever seen.

I've watched it several times. Wonderful show.

The teenager that burned the Columbia Gorge three years ago permanently ruined the hiking there. It will take a century to get back to remotely looking as good as it had. It changed the look (different colors, tree-clogged streams, heavy underbrush, burnt-black trees, and more) and feel (it's a hot hike instead of a cool one now) completely.
    You will be surprised at how soon it recovers. Acadia National Park went through the same thing in 1947: https://wgme.com/news/local/fire-of-...cadias-history . My father happened to be cutting wood with a logging crew over a hundred miles away, and he could see the smoke from there.

But, when I went there as a kid less than 20 years after the fire, other than a few burned trees here and there, the park was vibrant. Wild blueberries and raspberries were everywhere, many more kinds of birds and other wildlife were around, and people gradually made new trails again. The new cycle of hardwood growth (alder then poplar then birch) provided trees that beaver liked, and they started building dams, which brought in herons and eagles. It was far more interesting that the mature forest.

Give it a few more years, and it will look much better,

8. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-11-2020),Roy Tucker (04-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    You will be surprised at how soon it recovers. Acadia National Park went through the same thing in 1947: https://wgme.com/news/local/fire-of-...cadias-history . My father happened to be cutting wood with a logging crew over a hundred miles away, and he could see the smoke from there.

But, when I went there as a kid less than 20 years after the fire, other than a few burned trees here and there, the park was vibrant. Wild blueberries and raspberries were everywhere, many more kinds of birds and other wildlife were around, and people gradually made new trails again. The new cycle of hardwood growth (alder then poplar then birch) provided trees that beaver liked, and they started building dams, which brought in herons and eagles. It was far more interesting that the mature forest.

Give it a few more years, and it will look much better,
    Thanks for the hope. I know you are an expert in forest conservation and forest management from our talks.

Thanks for the hope. I know you are an expert in forest conservation and forest management from our talks.
    Oh no, I'm not an expert. But I own a lot of forest that I manage myself, and I worked in the woods with my dad growing up. I do see what happens to forests after both a fire and a clear cut, and it isn't all bad. In fact, a mature forest is pretty much devoid of life (not literally of course, but of small animals, diverse species, berries and flowering plants). I'm going to be doing a pretty big harvest this year, and it still bothers me to cut down a tree that started growing before WWI, but on the other hand it's fun to see what grows in place of it.

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-12-2020)

I'll also believe it when I see it. The Tillamook fires from 50, 80, 100 years ago, have never grown back. They have never been able to get a foothold because another major fire sweeps through them again and again. The lower canopies don't come back as before,...moist, cool, and with vegetation that traps water so the types of trees that were there before can grow back. As you said, it comes back differently. It comes back, but it's different, and the trend is that the forests get warmer and warmer, which inspires more devastating fires.

The West has seen a rapid rise in forest fires over the last 10 years, and there's no signs that indicate it won't keep getting worse. Here's a story about how the corona-virus is going to have an impact on the western forests. Also, our State's forestry department was bankrupt three months ago. There isn't a single dollar in the state left for fighting any more fires. It's a crisis for this State, and I'm certain it is for California, Washington and other Western States, too. British Columbia barely fights their fires because the terrain is too difficult to get into and Canada has no money.

https://www.oregonlive.com/books/202...wont-help.html

Turn Off Ads?