Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Thread

Re: COVID-19 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    We have a testing shortage right now, not enough swabs. Ohio in particular is having that problem.
    I heard some chit chat somewhere, about using some alternative. I forget the details. TMI.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    You don't seem to like what they are doing. You really shoud watch the press conferences...I don't have a photographic memory.
    Watch the national one from start to finish. Watch Cuomo's from front to back when I can. Love everything everyone is doing. Afraid I don't get Ohio's since I am out of state. Just wondering how the information is going to get handled as it becomes more decentralized. Both in Ohio and around the nation

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    If I get this and die I just hope I last long enough to get .99 gas. I think the lowest i've ever gotten was like 1.27 when I first started driving. Just once in my life I would like gas under a dollar.
    Well, since I’m 70 according to some here let me tell you about when I was in HS and I smoked, cigarettes were .49 cents a pack and gas was .45

Magic times, magic times

5. Likes:

kaldaniels (04-01-2020),Tuff Nut (04-02-2020)

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavir...-birthday.html

An Oregon veteran who celebrated his 104th birthday Wednesday could be one of the oldest people in the world to survive the new coronavirus. A 95-year-old Yamhill County man, also a veteran, has survived. A 101-year-old man in Spain has survived, as have two 103-year-old women, one from China and one from Iran.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-01-2020 at 09:15 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-02-2020),757690 (04-01-2020),kaldaniels (04-01-2020),Stray (04-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Watch the national one from start to finish. Watch Cuomo's from front to back when I can. Love everything everyone is doing. Afraid I don't get Ohio's since I am out of state. Just wondering how the information is going to get handled as it becomes more decentralized. Both in Ohio and around the nation
    I think you've got the wrong end of the stick here.

The problem was that the data from the private labs, this or that hospital,was NOT making it back to the state. DeWine's order stopped that. All test data will go to the state.

South Carolina is starting to take off. Feels like a week ago we were getting 20 new cases/day. Today we had 210. But my county has only went from 3 to 5 in the last week.

We have non essential biz closures, restaurants only offering delivery, drive thru and take out, but other than that it's kinda biz as usual. People are still out doing things. Everyone is just keeping their distance which is nice.

Also regarding shutdowns, I get it. The idea is to flatten the curve and all that. But I had to go grocery shopping today and every parent was there with their 3 kids romping around crying and sneezing all over everything. Essential business sure, but these shutdowns are funneling everyone there it feels like? How does closing mom and pop restaurants and rando small biz's flatten the curve when you keep Wal-Mart, Target, Costco, Sams, etc open without any restrictions? Thousands of people go through these stores in busy locations.

How many eat at the small diner that will never recover? If we're gonna shut stuff down to save lives, we should really do it...not just kinda sorta. There are ways for these grocery/dept stores to operate without being the hub for the virus spread. Churches are already adapting, surely Costco can too. Keep people in the parking lot while you gather their list. It wouldn't be that hard.

11. Likes:

757690 (04-02-2020),Kingspoint (04-02-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    How many eat at the small diner that will never recover? If we're gonna shut stuff down to save lives, we should really do it...not just kinda sorta. There are ways for these grocery/dept stores to operate without being the hub for the virus spread. Churches are already adapting, surely Costco can too. Keep people in the parking lot while you gather their list. It wouldn't be that hard.
    Most of these stores are already capable, technology wise, to accept pick ups. Why they haven't gone to that only I do not know - seems to make so much sense.

13. Likes:

757690 (04-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Most of these stores are already capable, technology wise, to accept pick ups. Why they haven't gone to that only I do not know - seems to make so much sense.
    Sure, they can offer take out but even in the best case scenario this virus and shutdown cripples their business. There will be many that never recover from it, even with govtbux.

But I still dunno how killing small businesses who serve 100 ppl/day makes sense when 1000+ ppl/day businesses are free to operate like nothing is happening. Other than a sign about social distancing, literally nothing has changed at my local Ingles. It's jam packed and people are side by side to buy food.

But I should add, other than buying TP and bread, South Carolinaians are actually taking the distancing thing seriously. But when you step inside those grocery doors, it's every man for himself.

Not that way here. You line up outside (3 to 6 feet apart), the doors are closed, when ten people have finished shopping and left the store, they open the doors and ten more go in.

1 entrance, 1 exit, opposite ends of the store. Employees that open and close the automatic doors. Counters to click as people go in or out, and radios to talk back and forth to coordinate the whole thing. No more than 50 people in the store so everyone is spread out and can "social distance".

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-02-2020)

My Spouse is moving into a 400 sq ft unit our neighbor across the street built for BnB. The neighbor offered it at a cheap $400/mo. My Spouse offered her $500. After she made that decision, her stress level went down dramatically (worried about giving it to her Dad or Mom who live with us separately downstairs and divorced for the last 30 years, and her Dad is driving her crazy not believing that he has underlying symptoms, which he does with age over 70, overweight, onset of diabetes, pancreatic cancer just five years ago, etc., and he socialized too much during this). Anyway, I'm still living separately while this is going on as I take care of my Mom. The main downtown clinic is crazily busy every day and her department still has no facemasks and no gloves and won't let them wear them because there isn't enough for everyone to have them regularly, and of course, no shields. This should slow down the rate of her excema which had been getting worse through this. Now she has to have less sleep as they are having her report in at 5:30 in the morning. She'll miss spending time with the 15-year old daughter and vice-versa. At least she'll be able on weekends to go spend time in the beautiful garden in the front yard, if she stays in the one chair that would be hers, and the outdoor cat can visit her on her lap as it's a distance away that even if she has the corona-virus, she won't be passing it on to anyone at the house. I'm beginning to feel that I won't be able to spend time with her for months from now. We have a vacation lined up at the end of June for 8 days in Newport, Or with an indoor pool and jacuzzi. Hope this is over by then. The worst part is, you don't have to show any symptoms to be a carrier. It's going to be difficult to know when it's safe.

Sacrifices? Yeah, a few here. My personal worries are very small compared to so many, compared to probably most people, in fact.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-02-2020 at 11:37 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

19. Likes:

Redsfaithful (04-02-2020),RFS62 (04-02-2020),Roy Tucker (04-02-2020)

From msn.com this evening...

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world...ut/ar-BB121wcG

"Dr Ai gave an interview to a Chinese magazine criticising the hospital's management for dismissing the early warnings of the coronavirus but has not been seen since, 60 Minutes Australia reported.

After the show's investigation aired, a post on the doctor's Weibo account - a social media platform similar to Twitter - shared a picture with the caption: 'A river. A bridge. A road. A clock chime,' RFA reports.

Her rumoured disappearance comes after criticism was levvied at the Chinese government for lying and covering up key information during virtually every stage of its coronavirus response."

There is nothing political in this column:

https://www.nysun.com/national/unite...-corona/91072/

"The ideal way to deal with an outbreak is to identify cases and then their contacts and quarantine them for the incubation period. This delay in widespread testing, case-finding and contact isolation has left us with only one solution — social distancing. Our only way out of this current state of affairs involves widespread testing, case identification, and contact isolation. We are nowhere near where we need to be." -- Dr. Shlaes, a retired infectious diseases physician and expert on antibiotics, maintains a blog called “Antibiotics: The Perfect Storm,” from which this column is adapted.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-02-2020 at 03:37 AM.

I don't get something about the data the Ohio department of health tried to sell on Mar 13th.

DeWine said they had over 100,000 cases and they were expecting the number of cases to be doubling every 6 days. Without dealing with the doubling, the 100K cases already in existence on Mar 13th should have shown up at the hospitals by now. It has been 19 days, well over the 7 to 10 days that people show symptoms, get sick and end up in the hospital. In WA, there is definite data that shows people with symptoms within 3 days. But yet there has only been 679 hospitalizations

The NY data shows that 20% of confirmed infections proceed to hospitalization. So working backwards. 679 hospitalizations in Ohio would represent 20%, which would equate to about 3.4K confirmed cases. Department says 2.5K confirmed so close enough. But if you had 100K to start with, that leaves you 97.5K of cases out there that were so mild or asymptomatic that they didn't end up tested or show up at a hospital.

Something isn't adding up. And I suspect it is the 100K cases that they said they had back 19 days ago. Because there would be a heck of alot more hospitalizations by now. Especially if all those asymptomatic cases were really out there doubling, because some of those early newly infected cases would already be showing up in the hospitalization numbers.

23. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (04-03-2020),Kingspoint (04-02-2020)

Turn Off Ads?