Rotation: Walters, Rixey, Rijo, Cueto and Luque
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cinci Enquirer: Pick your All-Time Reds team

Reds All-Time Team: Franco, Chapman, Dibble make up the fans' dream bullpen
    JOHN FAY | CINCINNATI ENQUIRER
    Updated 3 hours ago
    This is the last in a series of stories on the winners of the fan vote for the Reds All-Time Team:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...en/5129903002/

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Rotation: Walters, Rixey, Rijo, Cueto and Luque
    Nailed the rotation.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

Chip R (04-15-2020),Old school 1983 (04-14-2020)

Here are the results:

Reds All-Time Team voted by fans
    17 PHOTOS
    8:56 a.m. EDT Apr. 12, 2020

https://www.cincinnati.com/picture-g...ns/2978212001/

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Here are the results:

Reds All-Time Team voted by fans
    17 PHOTOS
    8:56 a.m. EDT Apr. 12, 2020

https://www.cincinnati.com/picture-g...ns/2978212001/
    Hmmmm….I guess most fans believe major league baseball was created around 1970 or so. Frank Robinson and Jim Maloney are the only players selected who played for the Reds prior to then. Yes, Rose, Bench and Perez played for the Reds in the 1960s but they were of course mainstays of the 70s BRM.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

8. Likes:

Cyclone792 (04-14-2020),M2 (04-14-2020),North (04-14-2020),Old school 1983 (04-14-2020),Ron Madden (04-14-2020),Roy Tucker (04-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Hmmmm….I guess most fans believe major league baseball was created around 1970 or so. Frank Robinson and Jim Maloney are the only players selected who played for the Reds prior to then. Yes, Rose, Bench and Perez played for the Reds in the 1960s but they were of course mainstays of the 70s BRM.
    Most baseball fans know nothing about baseball history, unless it’s their history or a relatives history relayed to them

HmmmmÂ….I guess most fans believe major league baseball was created around 1970 or so. Frank Robinson and Jim Maloney are the only players selected who played for the Reds prior to then. Yes, Rose, Bench and Perez played for the Reds in the 1960s but they were of course mainstays of the 70s BRM.
    Yes, there's going to be a bias toward players that people saw play. But other than Foster and Davis, the starting positions players are either hall of famers or in one case, a sure 1st ballot hall of famer before being banned. I'm satisfied with the relievers since they included John Franco in there who was the Reds best reliever I ever saw and it's a crime he's not in the Reds HOF yet. Starting pitching is where I can see your side. They did include the Reds best aces since the 60s but there were plenty more before that probably more deserving then some included. Bucky Walters for one.

Also, the Reds won 3/5th of their world series championships after the 60s and 3/4th of their legitimate ones. They won 5/9th of their National League Pennants in that time also and 2/3rds since the 60s. So no matter how unfair it might seem, the Reds from 1970 on have been a lot more successful than the Reds before that and post season success always trumps the alternative.
    Last edited by foster15; 04-15-2020 at 03:28 AM.

11. Likes:

Chip R (04-15-2020),Phoenix2 (04-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Yes, there's going to be a bias toward players that people saw play. But other than Foster and Davis, the starting positions players are either hall of famers or in one case, a sure 1st ballot hall of famer before being banned. I'm satisfied with the relievers since they included John Franco in there who was the Reds best reliever I ever saw and it's a crime he's not in the Reds HOF yet. Starting pitching is where I can see your side. They did include the Reds best aces since the 60s but there were plenty more before that probably more deserving then some included. Bucky Walters for one.

Also, the Reds won 3/5th of their world series championships after the 60s and 3/4th of their legitimate ones. They won 5/9th of their National League Pennants in that time also and 2/3rds since the 60s. So no matter how unfair it might seem, the Reds from 1970 on have been a lot more successful than the Reds before that and post season success always trumps the alternative.
    It is the omission of Bucky Walters that is my primary gripe about the fan selected team. My own all time Reds team on this thread only had five potential players whose best days came before 1970: Frank Robinson, Vada Pinson, Jim Maloney, Ted Kluzewski and Walters. I understand the arguments for a few other players from decades ago but I generally went with the more recent players because I truly believe they were better, but Walters at least had to be included. Had the Cy Young award been in effect during his career Walters probably would have been a three time Cy Young winner.

13. Likes:

mth123 (04-15-2020),Ron Madden (04-15-2020)

In fairness to Reds fans, the fan voting for MLB's "All Century Team" also had some ridiculous results.
    For example the fans leading vote getter as the greatest pitcher of all time was Nolan Ryan. Most spectacular, yes I could see that. Best ever? Nuts. The fans also selected, in order of most votes, Sandy Koufax, Cy Young (having an award named after you is bound to help in voting), Roger Clemens, Bob Gibson and Walter Johnson. They left out, among others, Warren Spahn, Christy Mathewson and Lefty Grove, all of whom were later added by an expert panel.
    Fans selected as the two greatest second basemen of all time Jackie Robinson and Rogers Hornsby. Jackie was the most historically significant player ever, and he was a great second baseman, but not the greatest second baseman ever. Joe Morgan would have been a better choice, among others.
    Fans selected as the two greatest shortstops ever Ernie Banks and Cal Ripken. Fortunately the panel of experts added Honus Wagner.
    Fans selected Mike Schmidt and Brooks Robinson as the two greatest third basemen ever. Schmidt deserved his being the leading vote getter at this position, but George Brett and Eddie Mathews would have been better picks than Brooks Robinson.
    The outfield wasn't terrible, as fans selected Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle and Ty Cobb as their top seven, in order. However, even at that time Barry Bonds would have been a better choice than Ken Griffey Jr., and since they were both in mid-career then Frank Robinson arguably would have been a better pick. The worse outfield choice was my boyhood idol, Pete Rose, instead of Stan Musial, whom the expert panel later added.

In fairness to Reds fans, the fan voting for MLB's "All Century Team" also had some ridiculous results.
    For example the fans leading vote getter as the greatest pitcher of all time was Nolan Ryan. Most spectacular, yes I could see that. Best ever? Nuts. The fans also selected, in order of most votes, Sandy Koufax, Cy Young (having an award named after you is bound to help in voting), Roger Clemens, Bob Gibson and Walter Johnson. They left out, among others, Warren Spahn, Christy Mathewson and Lefty Grove, all of whom were later added by an expert panel.
    Fans selected as the two greatest second basemen of all time Jackie Robinson and Rogers Hornsby. Jackie was the most historically significant player ever, and he was a great second baseman, but not the greatest second baseman ever. Joe Morgan would have been a better choice, among others.
    Fans selected as the two greatest shortstops ever Ernie Banks and Cal Ripken. Fortunately the panel of experts added Honus Wagner.
    Fans selected Mike Schmidt and Brooks Robinson as the two greatest third basemen ever. Schmidt deserved his being the leading vote getter at this position, but George Brett and Eddie Mathews would have been better picks than Brooks Robinson.
    The outfield wasn't terrible, as fans selected Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle and Ty Cobb as their top seven, in order. However, even at that time Barry Bonds would have been a better choice than Ken Griffey Jr., and since they were both in mid-career then Frank Robinson arguably would have been a better pick. The worse outfield choice was my boyhood idol, Pete Rose, instead of Stan Musial, whom the expert panel later added.
    This is why I don't vote on lists like these, and also why I don't participate in All-Star voting or pay attention to the All-Star Game.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

16. Likes:

North (04-16-2020),westofyou (04-16-2020)

Reds beat the Nationals in MLB's Dream Bracket Tournament.

But the fact it was close doesn't bode well for the dream team's long term prospects. I like the team they decided upon however Bucky Walters is a clear oversight.

REDS

Pitchers: Tom Seaver, Jim Maloney, Mario Soto, Jose Rijo, Aroldis Chapman, Randy Myers, Norm Charlton, Rob Dibble, John Franco, Don Gullett, Johnny Cueto

Starters:
    C: Johnny Bench
    1B: Joey Votto
    2B: Joe Morgan
    3B: Pete Rose
    SS: Barry Larkin
    LF: George Foster
    CF: Eric Davis
    RF: Frank Robinson
    DH: Ted Kluszewski

Bench: Tony Perez, Dave Concepcion, Vada Pinson, Adam Dunn, Jay Bruce, Ernie Lombardi
    Last edited by Phoenix2; 04-20-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    Reds beat the Nationals in MLB's Dream Bracket Tournament.

But the fact it was close doesn't bode well for the dream team's long term prospects. I like the team they decided upon however Bucky Walters is a clear oversight.

REDS

Pitchers: Tom Seaver, Jim Maloney, Mario Soto, Jose Rijo, Aroldis Chapman, Randy Myers, Norm Charlton, Rob Dibble, John Franco, Don Gullett, Johnny Cueto

Starters:
    C: Johnny Bench
    1B: Joey Votto
    2B: Joe Morgan
    3B: Pete Rose
    SS: Barry Larkin
    LF: George Foster
    CF: Eric Davis
    RF: Frank Robinson
    DH: Ted Kluszewski

Bench: Tony Perez, Dave Concepcion, Vada Pinson, Adam Dunn, Jay Bruce, Ernie Lombardi
    Yikes, I'd take Dave Parker and Ken Griffey Sr. over Bruce in RF. And surely we could find a better backup LF than Adam Dunn.

I also take exception to the Charlton and Myers over Granger and Carroll.
    Last edited by foster15; 04-20-2020 at 02:29 PM.

foster 15 do you think the reds gave up too much in vern geishert to acquire you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    foster 15 do you think the reds gave up too much in vern geishert to acquire you?
    Not only Geishert, but the inimitable Frank Duffy as well.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Not only Geishert, but the inimitable Frank Duffy as well.
    Yes, Duffy was the one they shouldn't have given up. I mean, what would've happened if Woody Woodward got hurt and Concepcion wasn't ready to take over yet? We would've been down to just Darrel Chaney.

BTW, now that we're talking about Woody Woodward, was Paul Newman a Reds fan since he married into the family?
    Last edited by foster15; 04-20-2020 at 09:40 PM.

Turn Off Ads?