Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: British Open canceled

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: British Open canceled

Not to make light of this, but canceling this far in advance is surprising and disappointing. Only because it’s months in advance. Why not wait a month or two to see if anything improves? A lot of good stuff could happen before June. It’s been less than 3 weeks since we’ve been seriously involved with this and it feels like an eternity. Every day is like dog years. Over the next month, which will feel like a year, we’ll see a whole bunch of awful, but maybe, just maybe, we’ll see incredible an amount of positives too. At this point, we can only pray and hope, but something good will happen sooner rather than later.

Regarding sports, I think golf will be the first sport back. I’ll predict The Memorial as the first event played with no fans whatsoever. Golf is unique that it can be played safely during this time.

Of note, I’m a PGA Professional getting hit hard by this. I’m basically jobless through April. My course is open, but I can’t teach with shelter in place. I’m doing ok and think we’re doing what’s necessary, but it’s definitely hard emotionally and financially.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Golf is unique that it can be played safely during this time.
    Can it be played safely? Yes. Can you put on an event safely, even sans fans? That's a very different question. Is it safe to get the players and caddies to the event from around the country and world? Is it safe to bring in the production crew to televise the event?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Can it be played safely? Yes. Can you put on an event safely, even sans fans? That's a very different question. Is it safe to get the players and caddies to the event from around the country and world? Is it safe to bring in the production crew to televise the event?
    Valid questions for sure and very thought-provoking. Thank you. And, the answer is still a big question mark. Over the next 7-8 weeks, I think they could find a way to do it safely, but maybe they canÂ’t. ItÂ’s hard to tell at this point. The international thing is very challenging, but youÂ’d have to think there will be a test for asymtomatic cases by then. US Players could drive to events, but is it fair to the entire tour if international players canÂ’t get there? Definitely not. But, IÂ’d venture to guess nearly 90% of PGA Tour players/caddies reside in the US. Keeping the television crew safe shouldnÂ’t be that difficult with the small numbers and the ability to drive to events. Lots of challenges, but hopefully they can find a way to get around them.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Golf itself is relatively safe. You don't "need" to be in close contact with other people. There are some challenges, the flagpole being one of those, but there are workarounds for that.

International travel is interesting, but while its an international sport, most internationals live in America. Logistically it could be a little challenging, but not impossible.

I imagine in a month to six weeks, you can get procedures in place to makes sure its as safe as possible. Test for everyone involved, from the player, to caddy, to crew. The Memorial is unique in that it can pretty much self contain most people.

FWIW I think basektball will be the first sport back in an isolation type of atmosphere. But golf "could" work.

Best of luck Redhook, my course is open, but the Pro Shop is closed.

I'm supposed to be in Scotland playing golf that week. This move doesn't leave me very optimistic that's going to happen.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

The answer to all of those questions is "no". We are a very l9ng way from getting through this world-wide. Six months is not out of the question.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Golf itself is relatively safe. You don't "need" to be in close contact with other people. There are some challenges, the flagpole being one of those, but there are workarounds for that.

International travel is interesting, but while its an international sport, most internationals live in America. Logistically it could be a little challenging, but not impossible.

I imagine in a month to six weeks, you can get procedures in place to makes sure its as safe as possible. Test for everyone involved, from the player, to caddy, to crew. The Memorial is unique in that it can pretty much self contain most people.

FWIW I think basektball will be the first sport back in an isolation type of atmosphere. But golf "could" work.

That's a fantasy world. Six weeks?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

Do you think basketball players will be comfortable coming back? Would they all be isolated for weeks before the season restarted to ensure no one has it? Crazy to think about.

Thank you. What course are you at? I used to work at Sharon Woods and The Mill Course within the Great Parks. They’re closed through May 11th.

Valid questions for sure and very thought-provoking. Thank you. And, the answer is still a big question mark. Over the next 7-8 weeks, I think they could find a way to do it safely, but maybe they canÂ’t. ItÂ’s hard to tell at this point. The international thing is very challenging, but youÂ’d have to think there will be a test for asymtomatic cases by then. US Players could drive to events, but is it fair to the entire tour if international players canÂ’t get there? Definitely not. But, IÂ’d venture to guess nearly 90% of PGA Tour players/caddies reside in the US. Keeping the television crew safe shouldnÂ’t be that difficult with the small numbers and the ability to drive to events. Lots of challenges, but hopefully they can find a way to get around them.
    That's a fantasy world. 7-8 weeks? Prepare your life to be interrupted longer than that. They didn't just willy-nilly make this decision. They have the data that this just ain't gonna happen. Let everyone know now so they can stop living in this fantasy world that everything will be back to normal in three months across the world. Ignore all data from China. It's all lies and has been all lies since November. European data is real and the people of the United States are pure idiots ignoring what is going on to the point that nobody in the rest of the world will let anyone arrive into their country from the United States for the next six months because we still won't have this thing under control then. Quarantining alone is going to last into June, at the minimum, as it will be state to state, county to county, city to city. Then the virus will rise and fall like a yoyo as quarantines are lifted around the world. This thing has just begun.

I wonder if the PGA Tour would consider playing without caddies. Each player gets a push cart. Just 3 people per group. Maybe add an extra person to wipe down rakes and the hole after each use/putt. I’ve played 6 times over the past few weeks. It’s very easy to stay at least 10 feet away from someone on the course. They’re obviously going to error on the side of caution, but i think it could be done.

It’s really hard to predict anything at this point. By the end of April, I think we’ll know for sure if there will be any sports this summer. I’m hopeful there will be more treatments and proper testing so we can go forward. But, I also wouldn’t be surprised if every sport is done for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That's a fantasy world. 7-8 weeks? Prepare your life to be interrupted longer than that. They didn't just willy-nilly make this decision. They have the data that this just ain't gonna happen. Let everyone know now so they can stop living in this fantasy world that everything will be back to normal in three months across the world. Ignore all data from China. It's all lies and has been all lies since November. European data is real and the people of the United States are pure idiots ignoring what is going on to the point that nobody in the rest of the world will let anyone arrive into their country from the United States for the next six months because we still won't have this thing under control then. Quarantining alone is going to last into June, at the minimum, as it will be state to state, county to county, city to city. Then the virus will rise and fall like a yoyo as quarantines are lifted around the world. This thing has just begun.
    I’m prepared. Disappointed, but prepared. But, I’m also hoping, while maybe a long shot, that we’ll get some great news over the next month.

What PGA tour. Move on. There isn't one this Summer.

Do you think basketball players will be comfortable coming back? Would they all be isolated for weeks before the season restarted to ensure no one has it? Crazy to think about.

Thank you. What course are you at? I used to work at Sharon Woods and The Mill Course within the Great Parks. They’re closed through May 11th.
    Western Hills, which is a little different than the Great Parks courses. They have a little more wiggle room than the County courses do.

I think everyone is starved for something. I think everyone is ready for more interaction among friends/coworkers/etc. I do think there is a place, maybe in a month in which we have testing readily available and quickly. I think the NBA can operate in "isolation" with everyone being tested, from the players to key personal. Lets say you have a NCAA tournament type of setup. 8 teams playing at an arena with key personal only. You can isolate everyone, test everyone, and play games while the rest of the country recovers. It isn't ideal, and I do think it will wear on the players, but I would imagine they would jump at the idea to get back to basketball.

Here is the thing, no one knows how long this pandemic is going to last. South Korea is attempting to play baseball by the end of the month. So yea there is some hope, all the flatten the curve graphs show an unmitigated curve is much steeper but also ends much quicker. I think optimistically baseball could restart sometime in July and honestly, the more time it takes baseball to get going, the less likely we will see a season.

Football, at least at the NFL and college level, will be played, probably throughout the winter if need be. The only comparable pandemic in recent history is the Spanish flu, and that was during a time when blood letting was an appropriate treatment. I do think we will see sport follow a curve of empty stadiums-limited fans-normal activities. We may not see normal until a vaccine but who knows.

Turn Off Ads?