Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Biggest sports fanatic loser of COVID-19?

Biggest sports fanatic loser of COVID-19?

First, I want to point out that I fully understand there are more important issues we are dealing with beyond sports and fandom. That said, I think the past month has been a reminder how important sports is to most of us for entertainment, serving as a part of many friendships and family relationships. Sports brings many of us together in ways almost nothing else can duplicate.

Beyond the disclaimer, I was recently having a conversation with a friend who is an Orlando Magic fan, a UCF Football and Basketball fan, a NY Giants fan, and a NY Mets fan. Basically was born in NY and moved to FL as a kid....hanging on to the teams his dad was a big fan of, and picking up some new teams in Florida where his dad did not have a long time favorite. He pointed out to me that he almost felt fortunate that if anytime in sports had to be interrupted, it was probably the best time for him. He went on to explain the Magic were likely not going to make any noise in the playoffs, UCF basketball was not going to make the tournament, the Mets may not have a strong year with some recent injuries.....and if football is interrupted, the Giants are not expected to do much, and UCF is supposed to be less than they have been in recent years. I agreed with the logic although I am not sure I agree in regards to UCF football. That made me think about my situation, and I may have a strong case as the biggest loser of the timing based on sports!

I follow 5 teams closely. The Reds, the Tampa Bay Bucs, the LA Lakers, and WVU Football and Basketball.

- The Reds have been terrible for nearly a decade and most of the past few decades as everyone here knows. We also all know this was one of the more optimistic seasons for the Reds in many years. Many media outlets gave us favorable odds to make the playoffs this year. After all the losing, we were finally going to taste more winning if not for COVID-19.

- The Bucs have been one of the worst NFL teams over the last 2 decades outside of their Superbowl in 2003. Beyond that era, they are considered by many one of the most losing franchises in professional sports in modern history. If this thing interrupts football season, this year was supposed to be the best Bucs team since the Superbowl roster. Many media outlets projected a playoff worthy season with some even calling the Bucs a legit contender. Finally, the GOAT was going to be a Buc this season!

- The LA Lakers are known as the most prominent team in the modern NBA (since Magic/Bird era), but we have been one of the worst teams in the NBA since Kobe tore his Achilles in 2013. This season which was near completion, the Lakers had the best record in the West and were closing the gap with the Bucks. Vegas listed the Lakers with the best odds to win the Finals!

- If Football is interrupted, WVU is not expected to be great this season, but should be much improved over last season which was one of the worst in school history. WVU is expected to be back in a bowl as they continue to rebuild under Neal Brown. WVU football needs this season to get the taste of last season out of our mouths. Even if the season goes as planned, momentum on recruiting the 2021 class has be stalled....a class that some outlets were projecting to finish in the Top 20 (which is very good for WVU) based on early commitments and leans. Not sure that momentum carries through the layoff.

- Finally, WVU basketball has been very solid over the last 10 years, but was absolute garbage in the 2018-19 season. The season concluded with 4 Freshmen starting with a first year JUCO transfer. There was only one starter still on the roster at seasons end from the opening game, and he had not played since December (Konate). This season, WVU came out strong....hit a rough patch, but finished the season strong with a win over #4 Baylor and were a lock for the NCAA tournament with a chance to make a strong run if the matchups went our way!

All of my teams were expected to be very good or at least on the upswing after either a short or long period of losing. Can anyone challenge me as being the biggest sports fan loser of COVID-19 based on the expectations of your sports teams?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Biggest sports fanatic loser of COVID-19?

Dayton Flyers basketball easily.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

4. Likes:

dfs (04-04-2020),jimbo (04-03-2020),RedTeamGo! (04-04-2020),Todd Gack (04-06-2020)

Everybody

6. Likes:

dabvu2498 (04-03-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Me.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Dayton Flyers basketball easily.
    Yep. This. I feel gutted.

Easily the best Flyer team in history with a legit shot to win the national championship. And I don’t mean “history” as in the past. I mean the future as well. They could play college basketball for another 1,000 years and the Flyer won’t have a team that good. Coach of the year and player of the year with a really good supporting cast including the most underrated PG in America. Fans get to watch their historic squads in the tourney, oftentimes they come up short, but at least they got their shot. As a Flyer fan, I have been robbed of that shot and I am devastated.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

9. Likes:

dfs (04-04-2020),jimbo (04-04-2020),Roy Tucker (04-05-2020)

I definitely agree that Dayton Basketball as a single sport would have more weight than any of my complaints.....but I still think my volume is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I definitely agree that Dayton Basketball as a single sport would have more weight than any of my complaints.....but I still think my volume is impressive.
    Well, I’m a huge reds fan as well.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

If the Premier League season is voided, as some are wanting, then Liverpool fans are gutted. Wait 30 years, have it all but in the bag, and then this.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Gamblers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Gamblers.
    Bookies. Gamblers are actually the big winners.

15. Likes:

adkindo (04-06-2020)

The Biggest Winner?

The Houston Astros.

17. Likes:

Boston Red (04-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    If the Premier League season is voided, as some are wanting, then Liverpool fans are gutted. Wait 30 years, have it all but in the bag, and then this.
    I can't believe they would actually do that. Liverpool was very clearly going to win the league. The argument for the rest of the Champions League spots shouldn't take away from what Liverpool did this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I can't believe they would actually do that. Liverpool was very clearly going to win the league. The argument for the rest of the Champions League spots shouldn't take away from what Liverpool did this year.
    The UFC losing Ferguson Khabib a fifth time. With that being said they may come out as winners too. Dana White has secured a private island and will hold UFC 249 as well as weekly events. With them being the only live sport I expect huge numbers, but I am still disappointed Khabib is making excuses not to fight.

13-14 year old kids who have only a few years to play sports and are losing one. As for me, as an old guy, I'm finding, somewhat surprisingly, I'm not missing sports much at all.

Turn Off Ads?