Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1975 Reds vs 1927 Yankees

Re: 1975 Reds vs 1927 Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Well, you did try to even out the debate with the 95% of best white athletes point. I think that's what you were doing. My point is baseball doesn't take a super athlete to play well, it takes a skilled athlete who has great hand eye coordination to reach the top of the game. Yes, speed helps, strength helps, but are far from necessary. Even today it's not as necessary. I think Big Papi is a perfect example in his later years. Baseball never ever took a certain body type to play, it's closer to golf in that matter than any other physical game that I can think of off the top of my head.
    Debate what?

You wrote: "Yep, all those great athletes back then, that's why Babe Ruth was the premiere player. What an NBA career he might have had if only."

That didn't even address my point that baseball drew the majority of guys that wanted to play sports professionally... which is ALL I was saying.

Personally I'd prefer to piss in the wind then go back and forth on this

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'm not arguing for yesteryear, but wouldn't the practice and long hours spent honing control, just throwing the ball, and hitting (in lieu of playing multiple sports or hanging out inside) argue for the 1927 Yankees?

Those guys truly lived in the game. (For the most part.) Especially as boys.

How many kids today play stickball in the streets like Gehrig did?

How many tossed the ball for hours a day like Ruth did in the boys' home?

Kids from that era (and the ones after it) played all the time.

Maybe the 1975 club did as well. (Probably, most of them did too.)

Today? Man, I can't get my boy outside enough. If given his druthers, he's in front of a video screen.
    I get what you're saying. However, back then, most of those guys didn't get paid enough to not have a 2nd job during the offseason I believe. Today's players can work on their game all year around if desired without worrying about feeding their families.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Debate what?

You wrote: "Yep, all those great athletes back then, that's why Babe Ruth was the premiere player. What an NBA career he might have had if only."

That didn't even address my point that baseball drew the majority of guys that wanted to play sports professionally... which is ALL I was saying.

Personally I'd prefer to piss in the wind then go back and forth on this
    Then I suggest you go piss in the wind than to keep responding since the topic of this thread is a comparison of two different teams from different eras. I went where the topic took me. If responding pains you so much, quit responding, no need to announce it.

No way to compare 1927 and 1975 or 2019.
    It sucks getting old but one thing I am happy about is I go to see the 70s Reds teams at Riverfront many times and all 30 plus games that was on t.v. every season. And got to listen to young very good Marty and Joe the rest of the games.
    I feel sorry for all young Reds fans who didn't get that chance. But it still sucks getting old.

6. Likes:

marcshoe (04-06-2020),RedsBaron (04-06-2020),Ron Madden (04-07-2020),Roy Tucker (04-06-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

The only thing about getting old is that it happens to even the best of us.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    The only thing about getting old is that it happens to even the best of us.
    If you’re lucky that is.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-07-2020),Ron Madden (04-07-2020),westofyou (04-06-2020),WrongVerb (04-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    One team played watered down competition because it only allowed white dudes to play. That also means that they weren't nearly as good as a team as they could have been. 1975 Reds in a landslide.
    1927? seriously??? unreal

I absolutely can and forever will judge the players pre, roughly 1960 when all teams were integrated to a decent amount, because they absolutely without question were playing against far lesser competition than their counterparts were after that. It's not about Ruth not having to hit 102 MPH. It's about Ruth, and all of the other dudes, not having to play against the best baseball players as a whole within the United States/Venezuela/Mexico/Puerto Rico/Dominican Republic. Ruth was playing, daily, against guys who in a non-segregated world, who would have never played Major League Baseball. They would have been playing minor league baseball. But instead, they were white, so they got to fill out rosters with spots that otherwise would have been given to players that were much better than they were. And that lasted until about 1960. I mean for crying out loud, the Cincinnati Reds didn't have their first African American player until Chuck Harmon in 1954 - a full SEVEN YEARS after Jackie Robinson made his debut. I'm not going to pretend that they weren't playing against a bunch of watered down competition. They were - their fault or not.
    youre nuts

Did this about 25 years ago with my Microleague game. I managed the Reds and the computer managed the Yankees. The Reds won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

13. Likes:

hebroncougar (04-09-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomlin8 View Post
    youre nuts
    Thank you for your opinion.

And you're right. But my being nuts is not at all related to the post you quoted, which is 100% correct.

Thank you for your opinion.

And you're right. But my being nuts is not at all related to the post you quoted, which is 100% correct.
    Yes but it is related to why Ms Kendrick may have a restraining order against you.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Yes but it is related to why Ms Kendrick may have a restraining order against you.
    Rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Did this about 25 years ago with my Microleague game. I managed the Reds and the computer managed the Yankees. The Reds won.
    I played the two against each other in Strat-O-Matic and the Reds won. So that settles that question.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

18. Likes:

Chip R (04-09-2020),hebroncougar (04-09-2020),Red Raindog (04-08-2020)

did you utilize darrell chaney correctly

Advanced physical training techniques, nutrition, and the science of mental performance all add up to making anyone who tries to play baseball the best they could possibly be.

But it's about talent. That's the great separator. Ruth's superior talent overcame his lack of discipline.

Part of that was his superior eyesight. Ted Williams had that too. He also was driven to perfect his craft.

But no amount of weight lifting or training of any kind will ever make up for talent.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

21. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-10-2020)

Turn Off Ads?