Turn Off Ads?

Thread: R.I.P. Ellis Marsalis Jr.

R.I.P. Ellis Marsalis Jr.

Son: Jazz great Ellis Marsalis Jr. dead, 85; COVID involved

A son of New Orleans jazz pianist Ellis Marsalis Jr. says the patriarch of the New Orleans clan that includes famed musician sons Wynton and Branford has died of pneumonia brought on by COVID-19.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...ad-85-69928364

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: R.I.P. Ellis Marsalis Jr.

Now there's a man with a legacy.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

No Ellis, no Winton. No Branford. My wife and I have an old CD he did with Winton- all standards, just beautiful stuff. Sorry to see him go.

Here they are on volume 3. His piano is just perfect here. I think we bought this when Marian McPartland was still doing her radio show. His playing reminded us very much of the softness she brought to the keyboard. My wife said it's like a pillow to rest the music on. This is what really saddens me to see these older musicians dying- I have so many memories of listening to them with my lovely wife and losing them is like losing a piece of those memories.

Last edited by SunDeck; 04-09-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    No Ellis, no Winton. No Branford. My wife and I have an old CD he did with Winton- all standards, just beautiful stuff. Sorry to see him go.

Here they are on volume 3. His piano is just perfect here. I think we bought this when Marian McPartland was still doing her radio show. His playing reminded us very much of the softness she brought to the keyboard. My wife said it's like a pillow to rest the music on. This is what really saddens me to see these older musicians dying- I have so many memories of listening to them with my lovely wife and losing them is like losing a piece of those memories.

Growing up, I never listened to the radio. The radio was that big box that had a clock on it that was rarely looked at because because we had a better clock. The only music we heard was from the piano we played ourselves or from my sister's Elvis records. When I finally got into High School, my Mom remarried, my brother and sister went to college, I found an interest in the radio. In 1973 there were still a lot of independent stations that played whatever they wanted. Think I've told this story here before. There was a brand new station, KBOO (still playing jazz today), where on Friday Nights, two DeeJay's, J. W. Friday and I forgot the other one, but I ran into him recently, both recent graduates from Grant H.S., would play from 5:00 to 5:30, '30's Jazz and from 5:30 to 6:00, '40's Jazz, all African-American, of course, and almost all from the South. It was like being in Heaven for that hour. They scoured wherever they could the music. It was great. I'd listen to them before I'd go out for the night and it was pretty cool.

In Spring of '80, just before Mt. St. Helens blew, I spoke with a Jazz musician who was playing some of that '30's jazz on the quad at my school. It was one of our attempts to bring some culture to the young students of an area that certainly would not have experienced live '30's jazz before. It stopped me in my tracks because I hadn't heard that style since I was listening to KBOO on those Friday nights in '73 and '74 (they sadly eventually stopped the '30's and '40's shows, but continued their more popular modern soul shows). This legend, and I have to call him that, had to be born before 1900, as he was 82 years old, he said. I stayed until he was done (it was a lunch hour music thing, not that I had free time as I was taking 20 credit hours and was on student council, in addition to tutoring others) because, as you mentioned, I knew I was listening to sounds that would never again be heard. So much was never recorded, but was only in the memories of men like him. I felt I owed it as much to him to be there listening as I did to myself to hear him play.

It is sad when great artists disappear.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

7. Likes:

SunDeck (08-20-2020)

Turn Off Ads?