Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-Judgemental Food Science help wanted

Non-Judgemental Food Science help wanted

So I’m normally a Bisquick pancake guy. Easy to make, fluffy, delicious.
    However, these being the times they are, I was forced to buy Kroger’s Complete Pancake mix. https://www.kroger.com/p/kroger-comp.../0001111088217

Dark days indeed.

Now they weren’t terrible.
    But they are way thinner than my normal pancakes.

Is there a way to thicken them up?
    My initial thoughts were;
    a) replace some or all of the water with milk.
    b) add an egg

Would one or both of these work?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Non-Judgemental Food Science help wanted

Add a little flour and some fat... milk, butter

Egg will make it different, if you don’t want it like a crepe then stay away from the egg

4. Likes:

Hoosier Red (04-09-2020)

Excellent thank you!
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

When the mix runs out, just pick up some flour, buttermilk, and eggs, and you'll make the best pancakes you every had in your life.

And give a shot at French crepes when pancakes get old.

7. Likes:

dfs (04-11-2020),westofyou (04-09-2020)

God I love pancakes. Been making my family chocolate chip pancakes on Sundays since this whole quarantine thing happened and i just love it.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

9. Likes:

Hoosier Red (04-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    So I’m normally a Bisquick pancake guy. Easy to make, fluffy, delicious.
    However, these being the times they are, I was forced to buy Kroger’s Complete Pancake mix. https://www.kroger.com/p/kroger-comp.../0001111088217

Dark days indeed.

Now they weren’t terrible.
    But they are way thinner than my normal pancakes.

Is there a way to thicken them up?
    My initial thoughts were;
    a) replace some or all of the water with milk.
    b) add an egg

Would one or both of these work?
    Forget pancake mixes, a half dozen ingredients make dynamite pancakes

This will make enough for 6 or so people...

4 eggs
    5 cups buttermilk
    6 tablespoons sugar
    4 cups all-purpose flour
    2 1/2 teaspoons salt
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    3 teaspoons baking soda

Canola oil or butter for pan

11. Likes:

westofyou (04-09-2020)

And it’s best if you prepare it the day before, put plastic wrap over the mix and put it in the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Forget pancake mixes, a half dozen ingredients make dynamite pancakes

This will make enough for 6 or so people...

4 eggs
    5 cups buttermilk
    6 tablespoons sugar
    4 cups all-purpose flour
    2 1/2 teaspoons salt
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    3 teaspoons baking soda

Canola oil or butter for pan
    I gotta say one thing- the best oil for any frying is grapeseed oil and it's cheaper than most oils. It has a high burn point and leaves no aftertaste. I discovered it in Italy years ago and never looked back. You can get jugs of it at GFS at a very reasonable price.

That’s pretty much the exact recipe we cooked at West Chester Perkins in the late 90’s, one of the best things on the menu.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

I will second the fact that making your own scratch pancakes is both better AND cheaper. Whatever the box mix is, it's mostly flour, and flour doesn't cost $2 for 32 oz, if you catch my drift.

That said, we're being non-judgmental here, so: looking at the ingredient list for the Kroger brand, it looks like there are a few differences from Bisquick (more sugar, less fat). The instructions are way different, to say the least (just add water? that is probably the big problem). Also, note that for waffles, they actually tell you to add other ingredients, same as Bisquick suggests for their pancakes.

That's probably your road map: use milk, not water, and a bit of fat (melted butter would be great, but veg oil will do; 2 tbl for the middle portion size seems right), and use slightly more of the mix than the back of the box suggests (an extra 1/4 to 1/2 cup for the middle portion size). See if that works. Maybe try adding a well-beaten egg or two (the Kroger mix has no egg product in it, and pancakes do have eggs, which is why Bisquick tells you to use them), which might help add lift (and fat). Keep in mind, the more liquid you add (like eggs) the more of the mix you have to add; just try to stick to "3 parts dry to 2 parts wet" and you'll be in the ballpark.

Myself, I'd also add a bit more leavening (baking powder, 1 tsp or so), but obviously, that gets back into the "why not just make from scratch" thing, and I know that's not what you're going for.
    Last edited by FlightRick; 04-10-2020 at 12:39 AM.

16. Likes:

Hoosier Red (04-10-2020)

That’s pretty much the exact recipe we cooked at West Chester Perkins in the late 90’s, one of the best things on the menu.
    That's the thing about cooking- your recipe is exactly how my grandmother made them. It isn't science. People got away from that during the 70's when TV advertising took over, and companies like General Mills made a killing selling stuff that is peasant food.

My first job was at the Harrison Perkins, and one of my duties was mixing this. It was the early 2000s. Takes me back to a simpler time.

Thanks for all the advice. Made them last night. Came out much better.

There's a comfort in building up my cooking confidence by using the pre-made mixes though I realize it's obviously inferior to making them from "real" ingredients.
    That's also why I wanted to double check prior to introducing any additional ingredients. Sort of like adding vegetables to microwave dinners.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. Made them last night. Came out much better.

There's a comfort in building up my cooking confidence by using the pre-made mixes though I realize it's obviously inferior to making them from "real" ingredients.
    That's also why I wanted to double check prior to introducing any additional ingredients. Sort of like adding vegetables to microwave dinners.
    I would suggest two internet cooks that are awesome. Just google Sally's Baking Addiction and the Pioneer Woman. They look at cooking correctly, and look at most things as peasant food that is easy to make and delicious and not pretentious. I just made Sally's chocolate brownies the other day, and my gf said they were the best brownies she ever had.

Steer clear of anything by Martha Stewart. By the time you made one of her vegetable soups, it would cost a hundred bucks.

Turn Off Ads?