Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Your mortgage and forebearance

Your mortgage and forebearance

I heard a fellow on the radio today in my car, talking about mortgages and forbearance and loan modifications. My mortgage is paid, so it me a while to tune in.

He was saying that a lot of people don't understand what a forbearance is. It's not a loan extension. At the end of the forbearance, you will likely have to pony up that money that you didn't pay and give it to the mortage company in a lump sum unless different arrangements are made.

I didn't hear this clearly... he might have said that only the principal is in forbearance and that you have to find a way to pay the taxes and insurance.

He did say clearly that you have to contact your lender. Any forbearance is not an automatic thing.

If you don't contact them your loan can go into default because you're not paying them. He really emphasized that.

Here is some information on forbearance, etc:

What's the Difference Between a Forbearance Agreement, Repayment Plan, and Loan Modification?

Forbearance agreements, repayment plans, and loan modifications are different ways that borrowers can avoid foreclosure.

By Amy Loftsgordon, Attorney

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ment-plan.html
    Last edited by North; 04-13-2020 at 11:21 PM.

2. Likes:

kaldaniels (04-13-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your mortgage and forebearance

Thanks North. Any information on stuff like this right now can help a lot of people.

5. Likes:

goreds2 (04-16-2020),North (04-13-2020)

You’ve heard correctly.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Ouch - good to have that knowledge, hope I never need to put it into action. Seems like it would be very difficult to come up with that lump sum if you have to go with forbearance in the first place.

Most customers I dealt with back in my mortgage servicing days went with a modification after their forbearance. If they were swimming in money they might qualify for a repayment plan, but it was rare.

Turn Off Ads?