Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

Re: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I get that but the government didn't impose that on you. This could cost folks the roof over their heads
    Like I said, it's two bad choices and trying to pick the best one. Which is why the opening of most businesses will happen before July is over with and 80% of them before June is over with.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't know a single person that isn't abiding by the restrictions, but I know a lot who are making out like bandits.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I don't know a single person that isn't abiding by the restrictions, but I know a lot who are making out like bandits.
    I am stuck in this quarantine in a suburb of 100K from a Metro area of 1.5M, so I see more, and the rural begins only five miles from here.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Would love to continue this, but I do have to take care of my elderly Mom right now.

One last word...Never seen a President before so unfamiliar with the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I am stuck in this quarantine in a suburb of 100K from a Metro area of 1.5M, so I see more, and the rural begins only five miles from here.
    People in the midwest are much more likely to toe the line. I'm in a big metro area too, but Ohio is like Pleasantville.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Can you imagine the America of today having to make the years long sacrifices Americans made during WWII?
    All this talk about losing civil liberties wouldn't even need to happen if we just did the hard work on the front lines of this thing. Aggressive testing and contact tracing. Its worked pretty much everywhere else. Hell South Korea and Germany are practically back open because they did and continue to do the the testing needed to keep things under control.

Not even talking about the social distancing / shutdown. We can't even respond medically to this. We can't be bothered. We're a lazy ass country.

8. Likes:

757690 (04-14-2020),dabvu2498 (04-14-2020),North (04-14-2020),Redsfaithful (04-15-2020),ScotlandRed (04-14-2020),westofyou (04-14-2020)

"Prior to the pandemic, 75% of U.S. nursing homes didn't meet the federally-suggested level of MINIMUM staffing." -- PBS NEWS HOUR, 04/14/20.

10. Likes:

Redsfaithful (04-15-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

You know. the more news that comes out about this thing, the more it feels like 1 step forward, 2 steps back. I don’t really have a lot of hope for myself or my life circumstances going forward the way political leaders talk about their plans for this.

I already mentioned it in the last thread, how I’m still struggling with a lot of the personal stuff I used to post about here years ago. I was in a really bad place with it over the winter, but as of January and February, I was just starting to pull myself out of it for the first time in 6 years. That progress and momentum is basically over if the current social distancing guidelines are in place for the next year and a half even once things open up again. It’s hard enough to socialize and connect with people when you suffer from PTSD. It’s going to be essentially impossible if every stranger in the world has to keep you pushed away with a 6 foot pole.

I don’t really have much hope left for myself, all things considered. I already felt like I was quickly running out of time to turn my life around before this started. If that’s all on hold until fall of next year, I feel like I should more or less resign myself to giving up.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    You know. the more news that comes out about this thing, the more it feels like 1 step forward, 2 steps back. I don’t really have a lot of hope for myself or my life circumstances going forward the way political leaders talk about their plans for this.

I already mentioned it in the last thread, how I’m still struggling with a lot of the personal stuff I used to post about here years ago. I was in a really bad place with it over the winter, but as of January and February, I was just starting to pull myself out of it for the first time in 6 years. That progress and momentum is basically over if the current social distancing guidelines are in place for the next year and a half even once things open up again. It’s hard enough to socialize and connect with people when you suffer from PTSD. It’s going to be essentially impossible if every stranger in the world has to keep you pushed away with a 6 foot pole.

I don’t really have much hope left for myself, all things considered. I already felt like I was quickly running out of time to turn my life around before this started. If that’s all on hold until fall of next year, I feel like I should more or less resign myself to giving up.
    My man, you can talk to people you don't know from a few feet away. You don't need to be close enough that your belt buckles touch.

You keep saying things like this and it's starting to drive me absolutely insane. You are acting as if you need to be so far away from someone that you have to scream at them for them to understand what you are saying, when the reality is you just need to probably wear a face mask and not be able to roundhouse kick them in the face from where you are standing. You will still be able to talk to people. In person. Just fine. You probably just will have fewer people to choose to talk to in these situations because instead of 100 people being there, it'll be limited to 40 or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    My man, you can talk to people you don't know from a few feet away. You don't need to be close enough that your belt buckles touch.

You keep saying things like this and it's starting to drive me absolutely insane. You are acting as if you need to be so far away from someone that you have to scream at them for them to understand what you are saying, when the reality is you just need to probably wear a face mask and not be able to roundhouse kick them in the face from where you are standing. You will still be able to talk to people. In person. Just fine. You probably just will have fewer people to choose to talk to in these situations because instead of 100 people being there, it'll be limited to 40 or whatever.
    This all being said... If someone is struggling with thoughts of 'giving up' please call the Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Coronavirus and all the surrounding BS is no reason to give up.

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

14. Likes:

dubc47834 (04-15-2020),Kingspoint (04-14-2020),Kinsm (04-14-2020),North (04-14-2020),Puffy (04-16-2020),Redsfaithful (04-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    KP, this is easy for you to report this since your family isn't seeing a loss of income from all of this. In fact the pharmacy business is probably booming. Try to picture someone putting a $100K debit on your credit card and then think about how you'd feel
    I have never in my life been one of the majority who's actions are based on "what's in it for me", nor have I ever voted on any issue with that mindset. I've had this mindset since I was a child. It's not going to change over another 55 years. I have always looked out for the vulnerable, the abused and the forgotten. That will never change. I lose my patience at times for the self-centered. For some it's temporary, for most it's not. There's always more I can, and should do to help others...who want help. I don't waste my time on people who won't help themselves who can or who aren't willing to do the work they can. They can live with their own choices.

Those places that have remained open will provide some good data.

It sucks around here for my friends with PTSD, because about 18 months ago they moved the counseling from the VA in Portland all the way to Olympia, Wa, 150 Miles away for some, 300 miles away for others. That's just unacceptable. Can you get outside for walks or are you in too crowded of a neighborhood? Internet communication is not the same as in-person...not even close. I hope you can come up with some outlets that can assist you until some openings begin. It should be very soon. We should be able to get a pinpoint date May 4th, when Congress gets back to work and more figures are in that sets places up (how to keep customers spaced apart, checking their temperatures before they enter sa public area where others are located, and other precautions in order to be prepared for openings.

18. Likes:

Redsfaithful (04-15-2020),Wonderful Monds (04-14-2020)

You know. the more news that comes out about this thing, the more it feels like 1 step forward, 2 steps back. I donÂ’t really have a lot of hope for myself or my life circumstances going forward the way political leaders talk about their plans for this.

I already mentioned it in the last thread, how IÂ’m still struggling with a lot of the personal stuff I used to post about here years ago. I was in a really bad place with it over the winter, but as of January and February, I was just starting to pull myself out of it for the first time in 6 years. That progress and momentum is basically over if the current social distancing guidelines are in place for the next year and a half even once things open up again. ItÂ’s hard enough to socialize and connect with people when you suffer from PTSD. ItÂ’s going to be essentially impossible if every stranger in the world has to keep you pushed away with a 6 foot pole.

I donÂ’t really have much hope left for myself, all things considered. I already felt like I was quickly running out of time to turn my life around before this started. If thatÂ’s all on hold until fall of next year, I feel like I should more or less resign myself to giving up.
    Hang in there my man! Good news is on the way. There will be very necessary forms of social distancing that will be around for a little while, but not 12-18 months. In a monthÂ’s time, we went from a virus that could kill millions of Americans to 60k. WeÂ’re not going to be able to go to concerts or ball games with lots of people anytime soon, but we will be able to go back to bars and restaurants in May or June. Think about how much has changed from February to March. Then think about how much has changed from March to April. A lot and itÂ’s all negative. We reached rock bottom. WeÂ’re about to head back up. Believe that! Lots of positive improvements are going to continue to occur each day/week/month. We will not be sheltered in place month longer and we will be able to socialize again this summer.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

20. Likes:

Redsfaithful (04-15-2020),Wonderful Monds (04-14-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

If we’re talking pure practicality of spacing out 6 ft, then yeah I’m sure it would be manageable, but I don’t really believe it’s going to be limited to that in terms of how it affects people’s behavior. Like, it’s hard for the imagine how something like dating’s going to work if people are instructed to be wary of anyone coming within 6 feet of you. And I’m sure most people will adapt fine, but I already struggled with a lot of this stuff before social distancing was in effect thanks to my issues. It’s only going to make those things even more difficult for me.
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 04-15-2020 at 12:00 AM.

Turn Off Ads?