Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 1010

Thread: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

  1. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,186

    Re: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Nobody is taking away anyone's civil liberties
    Uh, yeah, they are. Civil liberties aren't just for sometimes.

  2. Likes:

    alwaysawarrior (04-15-2020),Rojo (04-14-2020)


  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,186

    Re: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    What laws have congress passed that violate anything in the Bill of Rights?
    You don't think the Bill of Rights apply to the Raleigh Police?

  5. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    69

    Re: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Concerning rights:

    We all enter into a social contract by being a part of society. That contract is centered on individuals ceding basic rights to the government in order to live a better life overall, and to maintain a better society.

    What rights are ceded, when and why is a healthy debate. But in this country’s history, and in every country’s history, citizens have temporarily given up certain basic rights in a time of crises, in order to do what is best for society as a whole.
    Yes, this is all very true. But the word that sticks out is TEMPORARILY.

    As of now, that word isn't well defined. And at the moment you see wide spread buy in. The social compact is working. But when you push that social compact without considering the consequences on the ones being lockdown that becomes a problem. And when someone decides that they have "the right" to tell the rest when TEMPORARY ends because they are somehow more omnipotent then the rest - that is a problem. And trying to shame them with all the "blood on your hands talk" is just disingenuous.

    And I am not accusing you, your post was right on the money. It was just a post easy to work from because of the word TEMPORARY

  6. #49
    Member Kingspoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,646

    Re: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Suffering of the majority ?????

    So all the people suffering hardships because of the stay at home orders are now the minority and those that have the virus are the majority. Boy this virus is far more contagious and invasive than anyone has even considered.
    Without the lockdown, their suffering would be worse than it is now. What part of this don't you understand? Manhattan dictates the economy of the U.S. Without the lockdown, Manhattan would not only not be able to operate, but it would be obliterated as we know it. The long-term effects of this would cause mass suffering that makes this hiccup in the economy seem like paradise.

    The lockdown was necessary. Manhattan has to get going again, but if places that send people in and out of Manhattan lift their "restrictions", the wearing of gloves and facemasks, social distancing, etc. too soon, then they are going to be sending carriers in and out of Manhattan on an every second basis and Manhattan will never recover.

    Everyone has to suffer a little so that everyone won't suffer a lot.

    Too many people are going to die. It's a waste. But, as a mature society, supposedly we are, we need to limit as much as we can.

    Just this week are the care home numbers trickling in that I spoke about weeks ago. 1000's are dying from pure neglect where they are being unattended for because workers aren't showing up. This isn't because of lockdown. It's because they are scared of getting the disease themselves and sharing it with their families.

    The world has to work together to minimize the damage, and restrictions are a part of that recovery so economies can recover.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-14-2020 at 09:48 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  7. Likes:

    North (04-14-2020)

  8. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    69

    Re: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I hope I crush their feet and break their bones.

    Absolutely on the idiot, self-serving people who can't put aside for the good of all a few personal choices. Selfishness is all it is. Don't try to make it out to be some sort of patriotic ideal, because that has nothing to do with it. If you can't sacrifice a bit, you have no clue what it means to be patriotic.
    Don't try to tell me about patriotism. That is just a red herring.

    You act like YOU have the right to tell others how long they should give up their rights. WHO ELECTED YOU. The social compact is working, the vast majority are following the guidelines. But it is NOT UNREASONABLE for people that are giving up those rights, following the guidelines to ask - for HOW LONG am I being asked to give them up for the greater good, and how far does this extend into my life. Am I no longer able to play catch with a son on my private property. Is sitting in my car in a parking lot no longer OK even when I am clearly isolated from being able to spread or contract the virus.

  9. #51
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,736

    Re: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I wasn't being sarcastic. Seriously. You can't have morons gathering together in mobs just because they are feeling a little pain or anger. BFD. So what if you lose a few civil liberties for a few months in order that fewer people will suffer and die in the long run. How can so many people be so self-centered and self-seeking not giving a rat's patooty about the suffering of the majority?
    A few civil liberties? What about the guy who has his life invested in a business like a restaurant or a hair salon? This shut down takes all his savings, causes him to file bankruptcy and he's never able to buy anything of significance the rest of his life. That's not just giving up a few civil liberties. Think about that

  10. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    69

    Re: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    How's your grandma and grandpa? Given them a call lately?

    This is all about equating people's lives with the economy. This is the only debate. As I mentioned four weeks ago, the dying of the elderly actually helps the economy. The government employees who make this call know this. The error won't be on the side of too few people dying. It will be on the side of too many dying.

    This is why there can't be a 2nd lockdown. The economy couldn't take it. Many will have to suffer economically in the meantime so that fewer die while we are still in the first lockdown. The hard part has happened. Governments have gone into further debt to pay for this that they won't come out of for the next 10 years. "Restrictions", not a loss of civil liberties for you children who think you have any understanding whatsoever about laws, constitutions and personal rights, must remain in place as we go through this. Inconvenient? Sure. Depressing? Sure. Costly? Sure. Deadly? For some. But, it's a matter of picking the best of bad choices and lifting the stay-at-home suggestion is not a good choice right now. As Fauci repeatedly states, "May 1st is a good time to reassess everything".
    My mom is 97 and in a group care home in Washington state - don't try to give me that patronizing crap

  11. #53
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,736

    Re: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    How's your grandma and grandpa? Given them a call lately?

    This is all about equating people's lives with the economy. This is the only debate. As I mentioned four weeks ago, the dying of the elderly actually helps the economy. The government employees who make this call know this. The error won't be on the side of too few people dying. It will be on the side of too many dying.

    This is why there can't be a 2nd lockdown. The economy couldn't take it. Many will have to suffer economically in the meantime so that fewer die while we are still in the first lockdown. The hard part has happened. Governments have gone into further debt to pay for this that they won't come out of for the next 10 years. "Restrictions", not a loss of civil liberties for you children who think you have any understanding whatsoever about laws, constitutions and personal rights, must remain in place as we go through this. Inconvenient? Sure. Depressing? Sure. Costly? Sure. Deadly? For some. But, it's a matter of picking the best of bad choices and lifting the stay-at-home suggestion is not a good choice right now. As Fauci repeatedly states, "May 1st is a good time to reassess everything".
    KP, this is easy for you to report this since your family isn't seeing a loss of income from all of this. In fact the pharmacy business is probably booming. Try to picture someone putting a $100K debit on your credit card and then think about how you'd feel

  12. #54
    Member Kingspoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,646

    Re: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    This sounds like the rantings of a lunatic who has no clue what they are talking about. I am going away on this one as you suggested because obviously one of is is behaving like a child.
    Thank you.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  13. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    69

    Re: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Without the lockdown, their suffering would be worse than it is now. What part of this don't you understand?
    What part of when the lockdown ends don't you understand.

    Yes we have a social responsibility to our fellow citizens as they do to us. And not all suffering can be equivalated. But discounting any one elses suffering because YOU KNOW which side of the coin they should come down on is REPULSIVE.

    What part of that don't you understand.

  14. #56
    Member Kingspoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,646

    Re: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    KP, this is easy for you to report this since your family isn't seeing a loss of income from all of this. In fact the pharmacy business is probably booming. Try to picture someone putting a $100K debit on your credit card and then think about how you'd feel
    I personally sacrificed over $60K per year every year more than six years ago in order to take care of my Mom 120 hours per week. The economic sacrifice in this family has been going on for years.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  15. #57
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,736

    Re: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

    Is this a violation of the Bill of Rights?


    Four Michigan residents — three from Oakland County and one from Roscommon County — have filed a federal lawsuit against Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer over the impact of her executive orders on business, the use of privately owned property as well as the ability to associate with family and friends

    The lawsuit filed Tuesday in United States Eastern District Court doesn’t question the “legitimate public purpose” of the order or Whitmer’s authority to issue it, but challenges the provisions that it argues conflict with the state and federal constitutions.

    The lawsuit contends provisions of Whitmer’s stay-home order are “arbitrary, capricious, irrational and abusive.” The provisions violate the First Amendment right to freedom of association and the takings clause of the Fifth Amendment, which entitles individuals to compensation when their property rights are taken, according to the lawsuit filed by lawyer David Helm.
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...on/2990561001/

  16. #58
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,736

    Re: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I personally sacrificed over $60K per year every year more than six years ago in order to take care of my Mom 120 hours per week. The economic sacrifice in this family has been going on for years.
    I get that but the government didn't impose that on you. This could cost folks the roof over their heads

  17. #59
    TyrannoSuarez Wrecks WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    15,212

    Re: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Concerning rights:

    We all enter into a social contract by being a part of society. That contract is centered on individuals ceding basic rights to the government in order to live a better life overall, and to maintain a better society.

    What rights are ceded, when and why is a healthy debate. But in this country’s history, and in every country’s history, citizens have temporarily given up certain basic rights in a time of crises, in order to do what is best for society as a whole.
    Can you imagine the America of today having to make the years long sacrifices Americans made during WWII?
    Gratitude + Forgiveness = Happiness

    107,352

  18. Likes:

    dabvu2498 (04-14-2020),mth123 (04-16-2020),westofyou (04-14-2020)

  19. #60
    Member Kingspoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,646

    Re: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    What part of when the lockdown ends don't you understand.

    Yes we have a social responsibility to our fellow citizens as they do to us. And not all suffering can be equivalated. But discounting any one elses suffering because YOU KNOW which side of the coin they should come down on is REPULSIVE.

    What part of that don't you understand.
    There's discounting someone else's suffering, something I certainly haven't done, and then there's self-centered attitudes of "I'm not going by any restrictions" when businesses are open again. Heck, 90% of Hispanics don't do it now around here. 50% of whites don't. 80% of rural people don't. It's appalling how out of touch so many people are with the suffering their actions impose upon others.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Can you imagine the America of today having to make the years long sacrifices Americans made during WWII?
    No. We would lose the war. There's no doubt about that.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-14-2020 at 09:59 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator