Turn Off Ads?
Page 58 of 68 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

Re: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    The only good news here is that NYC is the only city in the Americas that was overwhelmed for a period of time. Maybe Detroit and Nola also for about a week

There was the MIT study the other day on the NYC subways (and reducing train capacity causing further crowding on each train). The subway is inexplicably still open

Also NYC schools were very late in closing on March 18

Also the perfect density, Northern latitude and cold to moderate winter climate to spread late winter/early spring virus (there does seem to be a strong correlation)
    Many people don't own cars in NYC, so without the subway they couldn't get to work.

The schools being open late was about making sure that kids had access to food. It was likely a mistake to keep them open that long, and there was probably ways to make sure kids had access to food and didn't have to come to school, but that was the hesitation.

Separately since hospitals are largely under control at the moment, there should be some opening up of non essential procedures and messaging telling people that it's safe to go to the hospital. A lot of people aren't seeking treatment for things unrelated to COVID.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-21-2020),Kinsm (04-21-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

1 in 62 people in New York City have tested positive for coronavirus, 1 in 235 people in New York City have been hospitalized for coronavirus, and 1 in 582 people in New York City have died from coronavirus, according to data from the city and the US Census Bureau.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    The only good news here is that NYC is the only city in the Americas that was overwhelmed for a period of time. Maybe Detroit and Nola also for about a week

There was the MIT study the other day on the NYC subways (and reducing train capacity causing further crowding on each train). The subway is inexplicably still open

Also NYC schools were very late in closing on March 18

Also the perfect density, Northern latitude and cold to moderate winter climate to spread late winter/early spring virus (there does seem to be a strong correlation)
    Yeah, but there were lots of people spread out in open air on hundreds of acres on a beach yesterday in Florida. Who cares about enclosed subway systems where hundreds of people are sitting very close to each other for weeks on end?

DHS says sunlight kills C-19 in 2 minutes. Perhaps that's why crowded Florida beaches haven't led to a massive spike in Florida cases.

https://www.scribd.com/document/456897616/DHSST

Looks like this only applies to killing C-19 on surfaces, though.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 04-21-2020 at 05:20 PM.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Yeah, but there were lots of people spread out in open air on hundreds of acres on a beach yesterday in Florida. Who cares about enclosed subway systems where hundreds of people are sitting very close to each other for weeks on end?
    NBC local news in Duval County link below which is the only county where local authorities have reopened beaches. Don't believe all that you read... 901 total cases and 78 total hospitalizations in a county of ~1M with late April Amazon Heat and Humidity. Limited hours in morning and evening and no stationary sitting/sunbathing allowed.

Everywhere I have been in FL the last few weeks, people have universally adopted the death stare if anyone gets within 20 feet of another walking in public. I can imagine the same is true on the wide open public beaches of Northern Florida.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...d-214cff4c131c

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    DHS says sunlight kills C-19 in 2 minutes. Perhaps that's why crowded Florida beaches haven't led to a massive spike in Florida cases.

https://www.scribd.com/document/456897616/DHSST

Looks like this only applies to killing C-19 on surfaces, though.
    That's interesting, thanks for sharing.

Crazy the differences between 2-4 minutes in sunlight, but up to 20 hours indoors with low humidity and 70-75 degree temps. I wonder if there will be suggestions to not use air conditioning.

Looks like another $484 billion is coming through the Paycheck Protection loan program. Good luck to any of you trying to access a chunk of that money.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    1 in 62 people in New York City have tested positive for coronavirus, 1 in 235 people in New York City have been hospitalized for coronavirus, and 1 in 582 people in New York City have died from coronavirus, according to data from the city and the US Census Bureau.
    Sad but the major outlier in all of the Americas. Half the cases and deaths in the US are coming from a few hundred square miles with 5-7% of the total US Population

All should be done to study why the NYC metro area was so inflicted and overwhelmed with the virus

I am sure this is happening all over and why people want the economy reopened.
    https://www.politico.com/states/flor...rosity-1277282
    Last edited by Rdirtypirates; 04-21-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    One is a necessary part of commuting and one is a discretionary leisure activity so not really comparable, yeah?

13. Likes:

westofyou (04-21-2020)

[QUOTE=Boston Red;4091180]Looks like another $484 billion is coming through the Paycheck Protection loan program. Good luck to any of you trying to access a chunk of that money.[/QUOT
    Why good luck? Do you have a personal experience to relate?
    Last edited by North; 04-21-2020 at 06:51 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Why good luck? Do you have personal experience?
    Saying I wish you the worst of luck wouldn't be very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Looks like another $484 billion is coming through the Paycheck Protection loan program. Good luck to any of you trying to access a chunk of that money.
    I know small businesses who successfully accessed PPP money, I feel like the narrative might have gone too far in the Ruth's Chris direction. Those companies should be nailed to the wall, but reading these threads you'd think nobody else saw any money.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

17. Likes:

North (04-21-2020),Todd Gack (04-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Saying I wish you the worst of luck wouldn't be very nice.
    Huh? I wished no one the worst of luck. What are you referring to?
    What post?
    Last edited by North; 04-21-2020 at 06:57 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Huh? I wished no one the worst of luck. What are you referring to?
    What post?
    You asked "why good luck?", so I responded with because wishing you the worst of luck wouldn't be very nice. It was a poor attempt at a joke on my part where saying the opposite would have been rude. It's been a long decade these last six weeks. I'm breaking my brain.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 04-21-2020 at 07:05 PM.

20. Likes:

North (04-21-2020)

Turn Off Ads?