Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home cooking tips during this crisis

Re: Home cooking tips during this crisis

I usually have something on the grill 4-5 nights/week. Couple of suggestions:

Quarter some white potatoes. Soak in bowl for 30-45 mins with water, ice and a splash of vinegar. Remove potatoes, pat dry, coat in olive oil and put on grill. Outsides get golden brown and crispy, insides are soft and creamy. Toss in a little olive oil and kosher salt before serving.

Doing something simple like a burger? Start by cooking a few strips of good bacon on the grill. Remove bacon, then start your burgers. Gotta cook bacon slow so as to avoid flareups, but the bacon grease/smoke gives great flavor to a burger. (Bonus: you have bacon for your burger, in a salad etc.). Also, always toast the burger bun on the grill. Always. I’m not an onion guy, but I’ll always have a sliced white onion on the grill for Mrs fan for burger night.

Lots of good veggies on the grill, especially if you have a grill basket. Asparagus is probably the most regular vegetable on our grill, but broccolini, broccoli, bell peppers, and even some leafies like endive or red cabbage quarters can be good. Again, olive oil, kosher salt and maybe some pepper are all you need.

2. Likes:

Roy Tucker (12-14-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

If you don't like the hassle (mess) of frying eggs, then try this..... Preheat oven to 400, use your muffin pan, cooking spray, then gently crack the egg(s) into each cavity depending on how many you want, add seasonings. Cook 8-9 minutes, but depending on how you like your eggs, start keeping an eye on it around the 7 minute mark (if you like them over easy). I love it! I pull it out of the stove and use a rubber spatula to go round the outside of the egg and they slide right onto the plate. Ain't broke a yoke yet (lol)!

And while I'm waiting for the oven to preheat, etc, I'm making hashbrowns and bacon in my Air Fryer, along with toast. It's a routine I've gotten down pretty good, getting everything going at once. I'm sitting down eating breakfast in about 15 minutes.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-15-2020 at 06:29 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I will say my Instapot makes a killer pot roast in an hour. Tender as all get out. Carrots and potatoes and decent gravy too.

The 60 minute cook time brings it into being able to do on a week day night. I just watch for when chuck roast or round roast is on sale at Kroger.
    I use our crockpot a lot. Especially for roasts. I'll put everything in crockpot around 6 AM and slow cook it for about 7-8 hours.

Does your local Kroger have Buy One, Get One Free a lot on meats, pork, and chicken? Ours here in Bellefontaine does a lot. When I go to Kroger for anything I always swing by the meat section (lol).

We've been using Air Fryers for years. It's amazing all the varying things one can do with it. I've seen those Instapots, but thought they were just a "glorified" Air Fryer. Wrong. Saw this article on the differences that were very educational. I may have to put that on Santa's list, start looking around on-line for any sales. But I got some much crap on my kitchen counters now I don't know where I'd put it! LOL

https://www.beachbodyondemand.com/bl...vs-instant-pot
    Last edited by GAC; 12-15-2020 at 06:41 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Anyway, a few weeks ago my son asked me to make my Moroccan Fish Stew before I left, and it's the perfect winter meal. I just wanted to share it here, since it's a pleasant diversion from typical Midwestern fare.....
    The story attached to this dish was so charming that I had to try it. It is both easy and delicious. A couple of hours at most. Good stuff indeed.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

7. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-15-2021)

My daughter just got me an Instapot for my birthday, and even though I usually turn my back on gadgets and don’t like them, I gave it a try, and kind of like it.

It’s probably not the first thing that most people would try, but last night I took it out of the box, poured in a half gallon of milk, and started making yogurt. This morning I had a half gallon of the most perfect yogurt I could imagine, and since I didn’t have all those stabilizers you normally get, it was nice and creamy and not gelatinous. I let mine sit for eight hours, and if I wanted it firmer, I could’ve left it for 12 hours I guess, but I like it just the way it came out. It’s almost like a kefir drink.

She said it should also work perfectly fine for bread or pizza dough, so maybe I’ll make pizza tonight.

9. Likes:

goreds2 (05-17-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

My daughter just got me an Instapot for my birthday, and even though I usually turn my back on gadgets and don’t like them, I gave it a try, and kind of like it.

It’s probably not the first thing that most people would try, but last night I took it out of the box, poured in a half gallon of milk, and started making yogurt. This morning I had a half gallon of the most perfect yogurt I could imagine, and since I didn’t have all those stabilizers you normally get, it was nice and creamy and not gelatinous. I let mine sit for eight hours, and if I wanted it firmer, I could’ve left it for 12 hours I guess, but I like it just the way it came out. It’s almost like a kefir drink.

She said it should also work perfectly fine for bread or pizza dough, so maybe I’ll make pizza tonight.
    I got mine as a Christmas gift in 2019, and have gotten a lot of use out of it. The year before someone bought us an air fryer, and that thing is already donated to Goodwill.

Attachment 17258
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-17-2021)

My daughter also got me an air fryer a couple years ago, and I use it fairly regularly for fried calamari and Asian dishes that use breading, such as tempura. It does a great job.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

My daughter also got me an air fryer a couple years ago, and I use it fairly regularly for fried calamari and Asian dishes that use breading, such as tempura. It does a great job.
    Cool. I'm glad you get use out of it. And I hope someone is getting good use out of the one I donated, too.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

14. Likes:

Hoosier Red (05-25-2021)

The airfryer does bacon very nicely too. 4 minutes on, drain the grease, do another 3 minutes-5 minutes depending on how crispy you like it.

I was surprised.

I haven't figured out chicken with it though. The Instant Pot excels at that.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

16. Likes:

goreds2 (05-17-2021)

I haven't come across too many things people cook in an airfryer that couldn't be done in a conventional oven. An instapot, on the other hand, allows you to imitate slow cooker recipes in a fraction of the time.

This is my personal favorite:

Pressure Cooker Chicken Tagine With Butternut Squash
    https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...tternut-squash

18. Likes:

Bob Sheed (05-17-2021)

Turn Off Ads?