Made their bones elsewhere but started or ended up in Cincinnati

1B Jim Bottomley, Johnny Mize
    2B Miller Huggins
    SS Leo Durocher
    3B Joe Adcock
    CF King Kelly
    RF Chick Hafey, Ken Williams
    LF Al Simmons

P Christy Mathewson, Tom Seaver, Don Newcombe, Orville Overall, Jesse Haines
    "Wahoo" Sam Crawford.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Likes:

mth123 (04-20-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: All-Couldn’t-Possibly-Be-Reds Team

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post

2B Miller Huggins
    SS Leo Durocher
    3B Joe Adcock
    CF King Kelly
    LF Al Simmons

Bravo. Kiki Cuyler should be on that list.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

C - Gabby Street
    1b - Charles Comiskey
    2b - Bill McKechnie
    SS - Joe Tinker
    3b - Don Zimmer
    RF - Al Simmons
    LF - Lloyd Waner
    CF - Kiki Cuyler

P - Old Hoss Radbourn , Three Finger Brown, Dazzy Vance, Jesse Haines, Rube Marquad, Amos Rusie

6. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-22-2020)

kent tekulve - pirates
    frank viola - twins
    lee smith cubs
    leon durham cubs
    joe gibbon - pirates
    joe hoernor cardinals
    ken johnson colt 45s
    tony gonzales phils
    cookie rojas- phils
    cesar tovar twins
    mike cuellar orioles
    mike ca;ldwell brewers
    claude osteen dodgers

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

CA - Jim Coombs
    1B - Jim Coombs
    2B - Jim Coombs
    SS - Jim Coombs
    3B - Jim Coombs
    LF - Jim Coombs
    CF - Jim Coombs
    RF - Jim Coombs
    PIT - Jim Coombs
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

9. Likes:

Chip R (04-21-2020)

C- Pat Corrales
    1B - Fred Whitfield
    2B - Cookie Rojas
    SS - Billy Martin
    3B - Terry Pendleton
    OF - Tommy Harper
    OF - Curt Flood
    OF - Art Shamsky
    P - Cal McLish, Tony Cloninger,
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

Chip R (04-22-2020)

Haven't seen Ray Washburn mentioned. Paul Blair, Bob Bailey and Mike Lum also.

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-20-2020),mth123 (04-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    A couple of things about Joel Youngblood: in my mind, I thought he played more seasons for the Reds and not just one. Likewise, for some reason, I always thought that he was with the Reds when he had hits for two different teams on the same day. It wasn't. It was the Mets trading him to the Expos that he did that (hit in day game at Wrigley, then got to Philly and got a hit in the 7th for Montreal). Finally, I did not recall that he returned to the Reds and closed his career here in his final season.

Likewise, with regards to Youngblood, we received Bill Caudill from the Redbirds for Joel, but he never played for us in the majors. I thought for sure he did. Dang, I'm slipping.
    Am I misremembering, or didn't Youngblood later become a coach for the Reds?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post

2B Miller Huggins
    SS Leo Durocher
    3B Joe Adcock
    CF King Kelly
    LF Al Simmons

Seaver is difficult to put in this category - he neither started nor finished with the Reds. He played 30% of his career with us - he made three All Star appearances with us (caveat, his 1977 appearance was in a Reds uniform, albeit a few weeks following his trade to us). He received solid Cy Young consideration in two seasons. I still pinch myself that we had Tom Seaver during a period when he was still a good pitcher even if it was not in his prime. Plus, his sole no-hitter was with us.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-22-2020),Roy Tucker (04-20-2020),westofyou (04-20-2020)

Youngblood played two seasons for the Reds; he not only came up with the Reds, he played his last season with them. I honestly thought he was a Red longer as well.

I see BR has Youngblood's first year comp as Bucky Walters. Maybe they should have let him pitch.

- - - Updated - - -

Seaver is difficult to put in this category - he neither started nor finished with the Reds. He played 30% of his career with us - he made three All Star appearances with us (caveat, his 1977 appearance was in a Reds uniform, albeit a few weeks following his trade to us). He received solid Cy Young consideration in two seasons. I still pinch myself that we had Tom Seaver during a period when he was still a good pitcher even if it was not in his prime. Plus, his sole no-hitter was with us.
    Seaver's the guy I thought of when I saw the title. I couldn't believe it when they pulled off the trade.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-20-2020),redsmetz (04-20-2020)

Seaver fine tuned Mario Soto's change up, which makes him extra special as a Red

20. Likes:

Chip R (04-22-2020),cumberlandreds (04-20-2020),Edd Roush (04-22-2020),marcshoe (04-20-2020),Old school 1983 (04-21-2020),redsmetz (04-20-2020),RFS62 (04-26-2020)

dan wilson , jesse gonder , fred kendaLL catcher
    terry crowley IB
    elio chacon 2b
    JEFF RICHARDSON SS
    CLIFF COOK 3B
    LUIS ARROYO, BOBBY AYALA, camilio pascual, pedro ramos ryne duren pitchers
    mike vail, larry biitner, ted savage -of

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Haven't seen Ray Washburn mentioned. Paul Blair, Bob Bailey and Mike Lum also.
    Thought about Washburn, Bailey and Lum - the only man to ever Pinch Hit for Hank Aaron. Forgot about Blair.

23. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Thought about Washburn, Bailey and Lum - the only man to ever Pinch Hit for Hank Aaron. Forgot about Blair.
    How about Fat Jack Fisher and Mack Jones? Ted Uhlainder, Richie Scheinblum, Phil Gagliano, Joe Hague, Al Jackson, Bo Belinski, Gerry Arrigo and George Culver(had a no hitter with the Reds)

in the no hitter a run was scored by the phils
    those are great names but failed to mention dennis ribant the great mets pitcher or roger nelson the bespectacled royals ace I had mac jones mentioned earlier so sad when the expos took him along with the great dan mcginn

fat jack gave up maris 60th i think

Turn Off Ads?