Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals Thread Part 2: The Joe Burrow Era is Almost Here!

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals Thread Part 2: The Joe Burrow Era is Almost Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Cincinnati is not one of the four teams mentioned so far. DEN, CHI, PHI (can't remember who else).
    Dolphins, Texans, and Jets have been mentioned as well...

He will not be a Bengal.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Really REALLY good interview with Jim Turner done by Jay Morrison in The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/1814704/2020...shared_article

Read it (Athletic is free for now) if you have the time (also, subscribe to The Athletic if you can - it's so damn good) - you all may remember my extreme irritation with ZT bringing Turner and his baggage onto the staff - but this interview at least gives me some context for why ZT took the risk. Fingers crossed Turner can deliver, because the article makes it clear they like who they have in house. It's a long piece so I can't paste it here in its entirety per board guidelines, but I really liked this answer to a question:

Morrison: Not to discount his chances, but it feels like the biggest question is going to be that battle between Hart and Johnson at right tackle. How eager are you to see how that plays out?

Turner: I love that battle right there. I know Bobby will step up to the plate, and I know Freddy’s going to be right there. Both of them have talent, and Freddy’s got size and Bobby’s got experience. So that’s a good matchup. Bobby Hart is probably the most scrutinized player we have. But you really can’t argue with the fact that Bobby did a good job last year. I mean, Bobby chopped his penalty numbers way down, his sack numbers were way down and he had a good year.

I think this group understands that we will bench you. We will sit you down if the guy behind you is better than you. It’s not a big tough guy act or anything. It’s real. We will play the best five guys. And I think we’ve proven that since we’ve been here. They’re going to compete at every position.

In the end, people say, “How do you decide who to pick?” It really comes down to it being this simple: You watch the tape. You can almost count the blocks. Like, in other sports, it’s easier to measure. One guy has this many base hits, the other guy has that many. When you’re looking at the line, it’s harder to do that. But it really comes down to that. If you block more guys at this position than the guy behind you, then you play. If he blocks more than you, then he plays. It comes down to who has more production. I don’t have a lot of sayings of that kind of stuff, but I do have one thing that I say to the players consistency, and that’s, “It’s all about production.” You’ve got to block people. And if you can’t, we’ve got to find somebody that can. It’s that simple.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

4. Likes:

Redsfaithful (05-15-2020)

Dunlap is 89th on this list as well.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

The waste of allowing Paul Alexander to stay here remains appalling. Mike Brown and his extreme loyalty issues because of what happened to his dad gets old. Art was an ass. He screwed over Paul. No one was going to take the Bengals from you even if you hired 2 GMs. Firing people for not producing is not disloyal or like what Art did.

You could make the case Paul had to be fired by the Browns juts by his lack of production with Jim Brown and the list of very good players he let go or traded away around 58-62. They were 15-11-2 his last 2 years, 7-6-1 before going 10-4 the next year. Not terrible but for the Browns it was not good enough.

DB. Dick LeBeau. Drafted in 5th round. Let go to Detroit before season started. 14 year starter.
    DE Willie Davis to Green Bay. 1958-59. 24G/8S. Traded to GB before 1960 season.
    DL. Jim Marshall to Minn. 1960. 12 games. 7 starts.
    HB. Prentice Guatt to STL. 1960. 12 games.
    DT. Chuck Hinton 2nd rd pick. Let go to PITT.

I understood why he wanted Ernie Davis and no one knew of his illness. But why Bobby Mitchell? Why not just trade some draft picks. It was the same with the Charlie Joiner trade for Coy Bacon. Coy was a need but why downgrade your team by trading Joiner? You really thought Billy Brooks was going to replace him and his ability to run great routes and toughness not to mention he had good rapport with Ken Anderson. (37R. 726 yds. 5 TD in 1975 as the #2 to Ike Curtis who had the 2nd most yards that year at 934 with a 21 ypc avg. Joiner was 17th. The only 2 teammates in the Top 20 in receiving yards that year besides MINN and one of those guys was #20 and a RB. Chuck Foreman at a time where RB would sometimes lead the league in receptions since they were the easier outlet option.).
    The Bengals had 10 picks in the first 5 rounds in 1976. Because of the Bill Berger trade. Another cut your nose to spite your face move by Paul and I think the Stan Walters trade show became a pro bowl LT for Philly when pro bowl did mean a lot more.
    He could have traded a 2 and/or a 3 for Bacon. A 1 was not necessary for Bacon who the Chargers were happy to get just 1 pick for him. The only guys that contributed much from the 10 picks was sometimes Archie Griffin and mostly Reggie Williams. Maybe Glen Bujnoch. Sometimes starter on the OL. No All Pros or Pro Bowlers in that draft but Reggie was underrated. However Harry Carson was picked after him in the same round. The 3rd.
    Was Harry overrated because he was in NY ? I don’t know but Reggie was underrated.
    Bottom line. Very few products produced and they also had a 6th and 3 7th round picks. Picture having that many picks in 7 rounds now. That’s 14 picks. They had 10 more picks that year after the 7th since it was a longer draft.
    Imagine ESPN doing a show with 20 rounds? The NFL would spread it out over 10 days. Like their version of The Thorn Birds or Shogun.

One of the worst picks? Chris Bahr. You think some of these clickers were unreliable but at least they made way more kicks than this guy. He lost games. Lost them on missed extra points not just field goals every year especially 1978 and 1979. He was gone to better times in Oakland in 1980. They even had Nick Lowery in before they brought in Breech in the middle of 1980. Too bad.

The only player who lasted longer than Reggie was the punter they drafted in the 14th round Greg Coleman. He never played for them because they had Pat Harvard McInally. Coleman lasted until 1988. Only maybe 2nd African American punter besides the Bengals own Dave Lewis. And then Reggie Roby in 1983 made it 3.

My point? Paul. I really wish you would have traded some of your picks in ‘76. You had come off an 11-3 season but could not beat Pittsburgh that year. Forget that you let Walsh walk because Tiger Johnson was your guy. You had a team to build on and just barely missed the playoff on ‘76 with a 10-4 record but again. Pittsburgh.
    But if you don’t trade Joiner. He’s starting and not Billy Brooks on the outside. Chip Myers was a good 3rd option but no longer a 2 and was the middle man option. Those 76 picks basically washed out by 78-80 which of course was the first bad period of Bengal football. 14-34. Homer Rice!?

Joe Mixon and Bengals have had productive contract talks
    Mixon is entering the final year of his rookie deal.
    By Jason Marcum@marcum89 May 19, 2020, 1:01pm EDT

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/5/1...ee-agents-2021

They really should work with Mixon. He's Corey Dillon v. 2.

8. Likes:

Spanky (05-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Joe Mixon and Bengals have had productive contract talks
    Mixon is entering the final year of his rookie deal.
    By Jason Marcum@marcum89 May 19, 2020, 1:01pm EDT

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/5/1...ee-agents-2021

They really should work with Mixon. He's Corey Dillon v. 2.
    Yeah I understand the whole argument against signing RBs to long term deals, but Mixon is still only 23 years old and hasn't been in a good offense yet. Hopefully Joe Burrow will help open up the running game with his arm.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

Jonah Williams has been working out with Joe Staley this spring.

Just for fun , re-watching the first half of the LSU/Oklahoma semi-final. The burrow kid looks pretty good at qb...
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

12. Likes:

Hoosier Red (07-01-2020)

And here I didn't think it was possible for me to like Burrow any more than I currently do.

I was wrong. I like him even more now:

Joey Burrow
    @Joe_Burrow10

The black community needs our help. They have been unheard for far too long. Open your ears, listen, and speak. This isn’t politics. This is human rights.

14. Likes:

Hoosier Red (07-01-2020),Redsfaithful (05-29-2020)

NFL players not expected to return to team facilities until training camp, per report
    No OTAs for Joe Burrow and his new teammates.
    By Jason Marcum@marcum89 Jun 3, 2020, 3:17pm EDT

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/6/3...tual-offseason

William Jackson III played all of last year with a torn labrum...ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    William Jackson III played all of last year with a torn labrum...ouch!
    That explains a lot. You can't play CB in the NFL with a torn labrum.

Rotoworld's comments:

Bengals CB William Jackson revealed Thursday that he played through a torn labrum in 2019.

"I don't know how I did it, but I did it," Jackson said. "It was painful every game. I'm fully healthy and ready to go." On and off the injury report all season, Jackson sat out Week 17. Jackson did not reveal if he went under the knife, but he would likely still be rehabbing were that the case. Playing under his fifth-year team option, Jackson will be looking to bounce back ahead of free agency after a shaky 2019, one that was undoubtedly affected by his shoulder.

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
    Jun 4, 2020, 8:11 PM ET

Hope he's fully recovered by September.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

"I am a CB drafted by the Bengals therefore I must be injured much of the time."

19. Likes:

CTA513 (06-05-2020),Hoosier Red (06-17-2020),RiverRat13 (06-06-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

FAMU, NFL legend Ken Riley passes away

An HBCU legend and one of the greatest defensive backs in NFL history has passed away.

Florida A&M legend and former Cincinnati Bengals defensive back Ken Riley has passed away, according to multiple reports. Riley, who also coached at his alma mater, was 72.

Riley played quarterback for legendary coach Jake Gaither in the 1960s before being picked by the Bengals in the 1969 NFL Draft. He was converted to the defensive side of the ball and became a standout, picking off 65 passes during his career.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

☹️

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

Turn Off Ads?