Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals Thread Part 2: The Joe Burrow Era is Almost Here!

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals Thread Part 2: The Joe Burrow Era is Almost Here!

I'm not a Bengals fan but I always kind of root for them because I know so many fellow Reds fans are. I'm genuinely excited for you guys!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Likes:

membengal (04-23-2020),North (04-23-2020),Redsfaithful (04-23-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Report: Dolphins trying to get to third pick without giving up fifth

According to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, the Dolphins have talked about acquiring the third pick which belongs to the Lions, without necessarily giving up their own fifth overall pick.
    Dolphins want to get No. 3 and No. 5 in effort to get to No. 1

The Dolphins aren’t trying to get the third overall pick from the Lions without giving up the fifth overall pick in order to make two picks in the top five. Instead, the Dolphins believe that a potential Godfather offer to the Bengals for the first overall pick would be even harder to refuse if the Dolphins offer both No. 3 and No. 5 as part of the package.

Per a league source, that’s the primary purpose of the Miami effort to finagle No. 3 from Detroit.

If the Dolphins pull it off, the Bengals would then have to ask themselves whether they’d rather have quarterback Joe Burrow or, for example, the best tackle on the board at No. 3 and either quarterback Justin Herbert or quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, plus whatever else Miami would be offering.

Of course, it won’t matter if the Dolphins can’t squeeze No. 3 from the Lions without giving up No. 5. But if the Dolphins somehow end up with a pair to top-five picks, don’t be surprised if the next move entails an effort to get to the top of the mountain, via a huge pile of draft picks.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Out of my cold, dead hands, Miami.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

6. Likes:

RiverRat13 (04-23-2020)

Fake news...I don't see Detroit making that trade 3 is worth 2200, Miami would have to give a lot more then 18 and 26 to make up the difference.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Lol - not even close Miami.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, that same series of rumors mentions that the dolphins front office thinks burrow’s comp is Montana. So that’s aight.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Mock drafts and talent evaluations are two different animals. Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News was awesome at mocks but he has 48 yrs of NFL contacts. Greg Cosel who I love does mostly talent evaluation, he knows his prospects and is like Kiper and Mayock in preparation. Daniel Jeremiah who worked as a scout and in a front office will do both. The good mock draft folks will hit on 30 percent of their picks...the rest just do it for clicks to their sites.

Hillsdale, that 30% number was made up in your head. Someone quoted here that out of millions of people who entered a contest last season, the winner got 13 out of 32 right, and that's the first round, by far ten times easier than any other round.

Before the draft begins, pick one "expert", who you think is "good" as you say, post his mock, and we'll look at his percentage for each round.

I doubt if "the good" amateurs, and it doesn't matter who they know because guys like Jeremiah couldn't make the right choice if it came down to two people to choose from. If Jeremiah says it, you can be sure that I disregard it. Kiper is a joke around the NFL, as are most media who do mock drafts. There's no way the "good" one's can get 20% of the picks right once outside the Top-10, which any secretary at the office can get as well. I entered the contest once. I got 12. That was in the 96-percentile, again, out of millions who entered.

That quote by Ian Rappaport was a G.M. laughing at these "experts" moreso this year than he laughs at them every year. None of them are experts in evaluating NFL talent. None of them. Even the former members of the NFL. The key here is "former". Once in a blue moon, a draft board is leaked, like the Cowboys was when the Bengals took Atkins.

There's also the problem where the Scouts never make the picks. G.M.'s make the picks and whoever has the most influential voice in the room is how the team leads. Even the board is probably heavily influenced by people who aren't scouts. I think employed NFL scouts know what they are doing. But, it's a long process that can break down anywhere along the way between a scout's assessment and the player's performance over their careers. I don't think the scouts are at fault very much. I think it's the G.M.'s the most. Head Coaches second. Been comparing media mocks for far too long and I find them to be absolutely horrible, at best.
    I don't know where you got the 30% number from. I never said anything about that. Of course they're not going to be great at predicting exact picks. Yes, mock drafts are primarily for entertainment, but these guys are pretty good talent evaluators, and many of them have worked for teams in the past, or will in the future. Mayock obviously made the move, and McShay and Jeremiah have both been pursued by teams. The fact that they're not scouts does not mean that they don't know how to evaluate talent. They can just make a lot more money and lead much better lives doing this than as scouts who travel all year and make very little money. There are some scouts who probably love the job so much that they wouldn't trade it for the world, but I would guess most guys would switch places with Daniel Jeremiah, McShay, etc. in a heartbeat.

It would actually be interesting to compare a team's board to Daniel Jeremiah's or McShay's, etc. Of course we'll almost never see a team's big board, so that will never happen. You say none of them are experts, but how many NFL teams are experts? Most GMs are bad at their jobs. Most teams are mediocre at drafting on a consistent basis. QBs bust at a 50% rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    I don't know where you got the 30% number from. I never said anything about that. Of course they're not going to be great at predicting exact picks. Yes, mock drafts are primarily for entertainment, but these guys are pretty good talent evaluators, and many of them have worked for teams in the past, or will in the future. Mayock obviously made the move, and McShay and Jeremiah have both been pursued by teams. The fact that they're not scouts does not mean that they don't know how to evaluate talent. They can just make a lot more money and lead much better lives doing this than as scouts who travel all year and make very little money. There are some scouts who probably love the job so much that they wouldn't trade it for the world, but I would guess most guys would switch places with Daniel Jeremiah, McShay, etc. in a heartbeat.

It would actually be interesting to compare a team's board to Daniel Jeremiah's or McShay's, etc. Of course we'll almost never see a team's big board, so that will never happen. You say none of them are experts, but how many NFL teams are experts? Most GMs are bad at their jobs. Most teams are mediocre at drafting on a consistent basis. QBs bust at a 50% rate.
    Speaking of..

ESPN's Todd McShay sitting out 2020 draft while recovering from the coronavirus

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2020...y-coronavirus/

I guess this was known, but 1st time I've seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Speaking of..

ESPN's Todd McShay sitting out 2020 draft while recovering from the coronavirus

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2020...y-coronavirus/

I guess this was known, but 1st time I've seen it.
    I had wondered why he wasn't doing ESPN's NFL Draft podcast. Hopefully he recovers quickly.

"So Fla Red"

Also didn't Sean Payton have coronavirus. I never heard anything more on that but assume he made a full recovery

T Minus 140 minutes until #Blowforjeaux is complete

13. Likes:

North (04-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Also didn't Sean Payton have coronavirus. I never heard anything more on that but assume he made a full recovery

I've never been to a coronation.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post

He did. He donated plasma after recovering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes:

North (04-23-2020)

Burrow is hilarious on top of everything else - from his twitter account a few hours ago...

@Joe_Burrow

Nobody’s allowed to make fun of me tonight none of the barbershops are open
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

18. Likes:

North (04-23-2020),Redsfaithful (04-24-2020),redsfandan (04-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Burrow is hilarious on top of everything else - from his twitter account a few hours ago...
    Gov. DeWine ends the daily news conference with an uplifting video. Today, he mentioned that the NFL draft is tonight and the video featured good works by people from Joe Burrow's home town, Athens, OH.

I don't know the area, but here were some of the good folks mentioned: Avalanche Pizza, Passion Works, Tavalino, Nelsonville Quilt Company, West End Distillery, Brenan's Coffee Cafe, Sunflower Bakery, O'Betty's Red Hots, and others.

20. Likes:

Redsfaithful (04-24-2020)

Not surprising, but just saw it posted on PFT:

Report: Bengals told Joe Burrow he’s the pick

According to the report, Brown sent Burrow a letter that welcomed him to Cincinnati and said he’s looking forward “to building championship football teams with you for many years to come.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-hes-the-pick/

Burrow will wear #9 for the Bengals!
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?