Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

COVID-19 Thread Part 2

nm

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: COVID-19 Thread Part 2

Re: COVID-19 Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    The idea behind limiting group size is that if you test positive, you have a better idea of who you were around and those people can isolate and/or get a test. If you go to a football game, that's basically impossible. But even doing small group type stuff is still something that requires a huge ramp up in testing from what we have now.

Really? Over a month ago it happened with the Jazz and they tested the entire team. Heck I think the entire NBA has been tested. I don't think that will be an issue.

Sorry I have no idea how to format a quote from another thread, but just replying to this:

Talking about 2 separate things. To what you are talking about, I think sports leagues could potentially go to very great lengths with quarantines and have enough testing to potentially play with no fans.

I was speaking more about a return to general small group functions, that would require a lot more general public testing that we don't have, or are even in the ballpark of having, right now.

US may have to keep social distancing until 2022, scientists predict
    From CNN's Maggie Fox

The US may have to keep social distancing measures — such as stay-at-home orders and school closures — in effect until 2022, unless a vaccine becomes available quickly, researchers projected today.

Their findings, published in the journal Science, directly contradict research being touted by the White House that suggests the pandemic may stop this summer.

Instead, the team at the Harvard School of Public Health, used what’s known about Covid-19 and other coronaviruses to create possible scenarios of the current pandemic.

“Intermittent distancing may be required into 2022 unless critical care capacity is increased substantially or a treatment or vaccine becomes available,” they wrote in their report.
    One important factor: Whether people become immune to the new coronavirus after they have been infected. That’s not yet known.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...e7e55b3f3cd035

The original report:

Projecting the transmission dynamics of SARS-CoV-2 through the postpandemic period

https://science.sciencemag.org/conte...cience.abb5793

Re: COVID-19 Thread
    The idea behind limiting group size is that if you test positive, you have a better idea of who you were around and those people can isolate and/or get a test. If you go to a football game, that's basically impossible. But even doing small group type stuff is still something that requires a huge ramp up in testing from what we have now.

Really? Over a month ago it happened with the Jazz and they tested the entire team. Heck I think the entire NBA has been tested. I don't think that will be an issue.

Sorry I have no idea how to format a quote from another thread, but just replying to this:

Talking about 2 separate things. To what you are talking about, I think sports leagues could potentially go to very great lengths with quarantines and have enough testing to potentially play with no fans.

I was speaking more about a return to general small group functions, that would require a lot more general public testing that we don't have, or are even in the ballpark of having, right now.
    Sorry...I didn't mean to step on your thread.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    US may have to keep social distancing until 2022, scientists predict
    From CNN's Maggie Fox

The US may have to keep social distancing measures — such as stay-at-home orders and school closures — in effect until 2022, unless a vaccine becomes available quickly, researchers projected today.

Their findings, published in the journal Science, directly contradict research being touted by the White House that suggests the pandemic may stop this summer.

Instead, the team at the Harvard School of Public Health, used what’s known about Covid-19 and other coronaviruses to create possible scenarios of the current pandemic.

“Intermittent distancing may be required into 2022 unless critical care capacity is increased substantially or a treatment or vaccine becomes available,” they wrote in their report.
    One important factor: Whether people become immune to the new coronavirus after they have been infected. That’s not yet known.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...e7e55b3f3cd035

The original report:

Projecting the transmission dynamics of SARS-CoV-2 through the postpandemic period

https://science.sciencemag.org/conte...cience.abb5793
    lol that’s such a worthless proposal they may as well have thrown it in the trash as soon as publishing it.

7. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (04-15-2020),Redhook (04-14-2020),Rojo (04-14-2020),Sea Ray (04-14-2020),Todd Gack (04-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    US may have to keep social distancing until 2022
    No

9. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (04-15-2020),jup (04-14-2020),Kingspoint (04-14-2020),redhawkfish (04-14-2020),Redhook (04-14-2020),RedTeamGo! (04-14-2020),Rojo (04-14-2020),Sea Ray (04-14-2020),Wonderful Monds (04-14-2020)

The City of Raleigh Police's official Twitter account just tweeted out that protesting is a non- essential activity. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The City of Raleigh Police's official Twitter account just tweeted out that protesting is a non- essential activity. Yikes.
    Duh. You can't have morons gathering together in mobs just because they are feeling some pain or anger during a national emergency.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Duh. You can't have morons gathering together in mobs just because they are feeling some pain or anger during a national emergency.
    I know, why not give up every civil liberty we have? People have fought for these rights, it amazes me how easily people are willing to hand them over.

13. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (04-15-2020),Rojo (04-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    lol that’s such a worthless proposal they may as well have thrown it in the trash as soon as publishing it.
    In all fairness the article itself even mentions they weren't determining feasibility on distancing for that long. Just that it would be needed to kill off the virus itself.

Meaning they weren't looking at if distancing for that long would have worse side effects than the virus. I think everyone (other than a very few ardent I've heard here and there) agree that distancing that long isn't viable.

15. Likes:

Larkin Fan (04-14-2020),North (04-14-2020)

Right, we need toilet paper, so why not use the Bill of Rights?

17. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (04-15-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    In all fairness the article itself even mentions they weren't determining feasibility on distancing for that long. Just that it would be needed to kill off the virus itself.

Meaning they weren't looking at if distancing for that long would have worse side effects than the virus. I think everyone (other than a very few ardent I've heard here and there) agree that distancing that long isn't viable.
    Fair enough. The headline kind of betrays that tone, but I suppose that’s more CNN’s fault than the actual scientists.

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-14-2020)

So now we are morons because we actually believe the constitution gives use "unalienable" rights.

Way to step on more than a few toes.

If you are talking keeping people locked down for extended periods of time, you better start thinking of the legality of peoples right to assemble. Because physical disobedience will be a real thing when it comes between peoples ability to put food on the table and protecting some percentage of the population that everyone has to give up their rights to protect.

Think it through to the end

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    I know, why not give up every civil liberty we have? People have fought for these rights, it amazes me how easily people are willing to hand them over.
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose
    Nothin', don't mean nothin' hon' if it ain't free

This can't continue for months and months and months

"You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there."

— Edwin Louis Cole

"One thing is sure. We have to do something. We have to do the best we know how at the moment . . . ; If it doesn't turn out right, we can modify it as we go along."

— Franklin D.Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose
    Nothin', don't mean nothin' hon' if it ain't free

This can't continue for months and months and months

"You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there."

— Edwin Louis Cole

"One thing is sure. We have to do something. We have to do the best we know how at the moment . . . ; If it doesn't turn out right, we can modify it as we go along."

— Franklin D.Roosevelt
    Freedom costs a buck 'o five

Turn Off Ads?