Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part 3, the re-opening phase

Re: COVID-19, Part 3, the re-opening phase

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You can argue this federal government is too incompetent to execute a national plan, but that doesn’t mean we don’t need one.
    We have the CDC. No is saying there shouldn't be a CDC. But there should be regional centers that work independently but that still share knowledge. If you have multiple efforts working in parallel, you solve problems.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    We knew we needed more test in January. We’ve had plenty of time to manufacture what we need on our own.
    Didn't the WHO also say that it wasn't human-to-human transmission in January and that it was basically 'nbd' like other viruses that have spread? I mean, if we're going to talk about failures of the CDC, which is well deserved, the agency that actually looks over the entire world should also be included as part of your blame.

4. Likes:

757690 (04-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    The CDC mission statement states that "CDC works 24/7 to protect America from health, safety and security threats, both foreign and in the U.S. ". That is their purpose. The national plan is that they do their job. They failed.

And what do you mean we wouldn't have been in a better position if they hadn't failed? Even the CDC admits it is the worst failure in their history.
    I mean just what I said. If they had gotten that initial test correct it wouldn’t have made a big difference in where we are today.

That was a problem, not the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Didn't the WHO also say that it wasn't human-to-human transmission in January and that it was basically 'nbd' like other viruses that have spread? I mean, if we're going to talk about failures of the CDC, which is well deserved, the agency that actually looks over the entire world should also be included as part of your blame.
    The WHO has also made many mistakes in dealing with this crisis. They downplayed it at first, and have issues contradictory reports.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

7. Likes:

Todd Gack (04-25-2020)

"Governor Andrew Cuomo said. “Testing is what we are compulsively or obsessively focused on now.”

Cuomo said antibody testing of workers at four downstate hospitals would begin on Saturday, including at Elmhurst Hospital, where at least 13 patients died from COVID-19 in a 24-hour span late last month in a development that brought the depth of the crisis into focus for many Americans.

It is one piece of a broader roll-out of antibody testing of nurses, police officers, firefighters, bus drivers, grocery store clerks and other essential workers who Cuomo said had been “carrying the load” of keeping people fed and safe.

Cuomo said it was important to test these “public-facing” groups of workers for both their own safety and also to protect the public as New York, in coordination with neighboring states, begins to look at when and how to reopen its economy."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN2270PA
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

"In four U.S. state prisons, nearly 3,300 inmates test positive for coronavirus -- 96% without symptoms."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN2270RX

“It adds to the understanding that we have a severe undercount of cases in the U.S.,” said Dr. Leana Wen, adjunct associate professor of emergency medicine at George Washington University, said of the Reuters findings. “The case count is likely much, much higher than we currently know because of the lack of testing and surveillance.”
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-25-2020 at 06:37 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Seems to be something missing here, because clearly testing has been ramped up. Maybe - can't even ramp up testing enough in your opinion

Scaling hasn't been perfect, but you can find that to be true of most things in this world in somebodies opinion somewhere. Just have to ask enough people. The actual number of tests done daily just doesn't support that testing hasn't been ramped up
    Sorry, should have been infinitely more specific: IT hasn't ramped up nearly enough to make me think that we can get a vaccine to the number of people we need to in order to start packing 40,000 people into a stadium anytime in the near future. And when I say near, I mean like the next year.

Once you have a vaccine that's approved, you then need to start making it. Making hundreds of millions of vaccines is going to take a long time on it's own. Much less distributing it to the doctors, who then have to start setting up appointments to distribute it to 330,000,000 people. This is going to take a long, long time, even if we get a vaccine that works in the next 6 months.

11. Likes:

mth123 (04-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    There are a few things going on here. I have also worked in industrial automation and logistics for a long time, and most people don't have a clue about it. And that's fine, there are a lot of things I don't have a clue about either. I don't need to understand how to design a microchip to use my computer.

But, probably the biggest failure was with the first test kits that the CDC distributed- they gave false results because of contamination, and had to be recalled and remade, which set us back for weeks. This is pretty damning: https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...-feds-confirm/

So, the biggest problem was that all of our eggs were in one basket. I can't speak to South Korea, but in Germany each "state" is responsible for and empowered with handling their own health care system. So, when this happened, they had 16 states contracting immediately with various companies in their respective areas to make tests, and it was unlikely that everyone would fail at the same time.

So, it isn't really a manufacturing or supply chain problem here- it is purely a logistical failure. The CDC is a federal organization, and when they failed, there was no backup. Comparisons to Ford or Golden Corral or whatever are silly, because, overall, there is enough capacity and overlap to handle most surges. Even with this stupid hand sanitizer issue, we have so much ethanol stored up that we are shutting ethanol plants down, but the FDA won't permit it because it isn't food grade (food grade includes additives so it tastes bitter and kids won't drink it). In an emergency like this it should be easy enough to waive that, at least for hospitals or industrial users, but that's another bottleneck.

So, I hope going forward we look at it like other countries do and give the feds less responsibility and have more regional control. If ten agencies are working in parallel on a problem, it's unlikely that they will all fail.
    Maybe there is an elastic enough supply chain, but ........

when you are flying in hundreds of thousands of swabs from Italy by c-130 military cargo planes in late Mar to mid Apr it tells me that the supply chain stateside isn't sufficient. Even if you have all the other parts to test - no swab, no test - no matter how many machines you have to process the samples

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sorry, should have been infinitely more specific: IT hasn't ramped up nearly enough to make me think that we can get a vaccine to the number of people we need to in order to start packing 40,000 people into a stadium anytime in the near future. And when I say near, I mean like the next year.

Once you have a vaccine that's approved, you then need to start making it. Making hundreds of millions of vaccines is going to take a long time on it's own. Much less distributing it to the doctors, who then have to start setting up appointments to distribute it to 330,000,000 people. This is going to take a long, long time, even if we get a vaccine that works in the next 6 months.
    Yes. That Bill Gates offer is him deciding that when it gets down to the final two options, he'll then begin making the billions necessary of vaccines needed world-wide because it's not about getting certain people vaccinated, but everybody vaccinated as there's no confimation as of this minute that a person cannot get reinfected. The timeline is still looking at next March at the earliest before there will be enough vaccines available to the masses to allow packed stadiums of people to gather.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

No doubt that there is a lag time, no matter how you try to shorten it. And on the vaccine front they are talking about starting production before approval, so that if approval happens, ramp up has already taken place. Somebody will be eating some costs, probably the US tax payers for the potential vaccines that don't work out.

And you are right about the fact that going to a baseball game the way we did in 2019, is a long ways off.

I think I mentioned this in the other thread that hit 1000 posts, but our youth baseball leagues in Wichita are now saying they will start back up with games starting May 11 (for my older son) and May 27 (younger son). That means baseball practice will start back up May 4 as soon as the state stay at home order expires. People here so far seem okay with that and plan to send their kids to practice and to play in games. I'm curious what others are seeing with respect to youth sports (particularly baseball) in other parts of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I think I mentioned this in the other thread that hit 1000 posts, but our youth baseball leagues in Wichita are now saying they will start back up with games starting May 11 (for my older son) and May 27 (younger son). That means baseball practice will start back up May 4 as soon as the state stay at home order expires. People here so far seem okay with that and plan to send their kids to practice and to play in games. I'm curious what others are seeing with respect to youth sports (particularly baseball) in other parts of the country.
    Southern CA, Los Angeles metro - canceled across the board.

But then again it is more of a spring sport here. Season starts Feb. and runs through May-ish. Then playoff stuff and all star teams to make the run to the WS.
    Last edited by jup; 04-25-2020 at 08:24 PM.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Young and middle-aged people, barely sick with covid-19, are dying of strokes

Reports of strokes in the young and middle-aged — not just at Mount Sinai, but also in many other hospitals in communities hit hard by the novel coronavirus — are the latest twist in our evolving understanding of the disease it causes. The numbers of those affected are small but nonetheless remarkable because they challenge how doctors understand the virus. Even as it has infected nearly 2.8 million people worldwide and killed about 195,000 as of Friday, its biological mechanisms continue to elude top scientific minds. Once thought to be a pathogen that primarily attacks the lungs, it has turned out to be a much more formidable foe — impacting nearly every major organ system in the body.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-26-2020)

You may catch coronavirus more than once, WHO warns as global death toll tops 200,000

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/e...-than-once-who

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    You may catch coronavirus more than once, WHO warns as global death toll tops 200,000

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/e...-than-once-who
    I saw that but read it more as a "we don't know yet."

My gut feeling is that we'd hear a lot of anecdotal cases of true reinfections if it were common or somewhat possible to get reinfected. Now, will such immunity last - of course we don't know yet.

22. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (04-25-2020)

Turn Off Ads?