Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part 3, the re-opening phase

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: COVID-19, Part 3, the re-opening phase

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    You may catch coronavirus more than once, WHO warns as global death toll tops 200,000

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/e...-than-once-who
    Great example of FAKE NEWS and really bad reporting.
    First of all, WHO did not state that you can catch COVID-19 more than once. They stated that they "they had no evidence" that surviving conferred immunity.

But as kal pointed, out that's not true either. They have plenty of evidence. Over a million people have survived the disease and we don't have a single case of reinfection (yet). There is evidence of SOME immunity.

Bad on the WHO for misinterpreting "evidence" (or lack thereof) and bad on the press for reporting a double negative as a positive.

"We have no evidence that Aliens don't exist" therefore ALIENS EXIST!
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-27-2020),Wonderful Monds (04-25-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Walmart has extended their hours through May.

On March 15th, Walmart introduced reduced hours at their 24-hour stores nationwide, reducing store hours to 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. Those same store's hours were quickly changed to 7 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. with a special senior hour on Tuesday mornings.

Walmart announced on Thursday April 23rd, that it will extend special shopping times for seniors and those vulnerable to coronavirus through the end of May.

CBS---

Walmart's stores and pharmacies will be open from 6 to 7 a.m. on Tuesdays (at most locations) through May after originally announcing the special hours would be in effect through April.

5. Likes:

North (04-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I saw that but read it more as a "we don't know yet."

My gut feeling is that we'd hear a lot of anecdotal cases of true reinfections if it were common or somewhat possible to get reinfected. Now, will such immunity last - of course we don't know yet.
    We don't know how long it will last but we do have an idea based on what we know of other coronaviruses. Immunity could last weeks to months like it does with the four coronaviruses that cause the common cold or two to three years, like SARS-COV-1 and MERS. Since this virus is 82% similar to the original SARS virus, two years is a pretty likely time period of immunity.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Great example of FAKE NEWS and really bad reporting.
    First of all, WHO did not state that you can catch COVID-19 more than once. They stated that they "they had no evidence" that surviving conferred immunity.

But as kal pointed, out that's not true either. They have plenty of evidence. Over a million people have survived the disease and we don't have a single case of reinfection (yet). There is evidence of SOME immunity.

Bad on the WHO for misinterpreting "evidence" (or lack thereof) and bad on the press for reporting a double negative as a positive.

"We have no evidence that Aliens don't exist" therefore ALIENS EXIST!
    Actually there are cases of people getting it again...just very very few have. I would bet on some type of immunity.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-26-2020)

Guysm,

Why haven't we talked about how crowded California beaches are compared to Florida?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Guysm,

Why haven't we talked about how crowded California beaches are compared to Florida?
    Let's talk about it. Got some links handy so we can look into it?

Guysm,

You blaspheme!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Let's talk about it. Got some links handy so we can look into it?
    Here's one. Which is like 20x worse than anything we saw from FL last week.

https://twitter.com/ABCLiz/status/1254207698461061121

For the record, I don't care that either have that many people on it.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I saw that but read it more as a "we don't know yet."

My gut feeling is that we'd hear a lot of anecdotal cases of true reinfections if it were common or somewhat possible to get reinfected. Now, will such immunity last - of course we don't know yet.
    The headline read, "We just can't confirm right now. We don't know."
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

For the record, it’s Newport Beach, Orange County. Like Florida, a few counties opened up the beach, while most of them are still closed in California. I believe the only other country with beaches open is Ventura county.

What’s troubling is that the order specifically said people were not allowed to set up in any one spot, they had to keep moving. That clearly is not being enforced here. It seems there are knuckleheads on both coasts. And if you’ve even been to Newport Beach, you wouldn’t be surprised by this stupidity.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

16. Likes:

North (04-26-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Morons. All of them.

Now, as to why "we" aren't talking about it like "we" were with Florida, that's a good question. Part of it may be that, at least according to your link, this wasn't shared until 836pm ET on a Saturday. Traction is going to be different on something like that, assuming this was one of the "early" reports.

People are really hoping that immunity occurs. Very understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    For the record, it’s Newport Beach, Orange County. Like Florida, a few counties opened up the beach, while most of them are still closed in California. I believe the only other country with beaches open is Ventura county.

What’s troubling is that the order specifically said people were not allowed to set up in any one spot, they had to keep moving. That clearly is not being enforced here. It seems there are knuckleheads on both coasts.
    I agree. Again, I truly don't care that either FL or CA residents disregard the 'Stay-At-Home" orders because at the ned of the day, these younger people aren't going to be hurt by the virus and the people that are vulnerable aren't going to want to come in contact with these people. The media narrative is always interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The headline read, "We just can't confirm right now. We don't know."
    I clicked the link provided and this is what headline pops up.

You may catch coronavirus more than once, WHO warns as global death toll tops 200,000
    Help me see what I’m missing Kingspoint.

Turn Off Ads?