Turn Off Ads?
Page 52 of 68 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part 3, the re-opening phase

Re: COVID-19, Part 3, the re-opening phase

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    What I find AMAZING is the idiots who want to get the economy going for one reason, they just won't say it: If the economy continues to struggle, tRump won't be re-elected. God forbid!
    You don't think there are at least an equal number of idiots who WANT the economy to struggle because it hurts Trump?

2. Likes:

Sea Ray (05-08-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    You don't think there are at least an equal number of idiots who WANT the economy to struggle because it hurts Trump?
    Definitely. Tons of Democrats are thrilled the economy is tanking so Trump can’t tout how great it is this fall. I understand the disgust regarding him, but being happy that the unemployment rate is so high, currently at 14.7%, is pathetic.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

5. Likes:

Sea Ray (05-08-2020)

What I find AMAZING is the idiots who want to get the economy going for one reason, they just won't say it: If the economy continues to struggle, tRump won't be re-elected. God forbid!
    No, there are millions out of work and they really do need the money.

Nobody is taking this virus lightly? Dude, you're watching different newscasts and reading different newspapers than I am. I think them man who came out of the farm and ranch store here without a mask on, then did a 90 degree pivot and walked right at my wife (who was wearing a mask) and only stopped when she pulled out her umbrella and pointed it directly at him, then laughed loudly as he did another 90 degree turn and head to his car is not taking this virus seriously. Here in Montana he's not alone.

The crowds congregating at Huntington Beach to protest are proof that many don't take it seriously

8. Likes:

RFS62 (05-08-2020)

Are those folks protesting...or just going to the beach?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The crowds congregating at Huntington Beach to protest are proof that many don't take it seriously
    Costco is mandating masks. Boycott them!
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Definitely. Tons of Democrats are thrilled the economy is tanking so Trump can’t tout how great it is this fall. I understand the disgust regarding him, but being happy that the unemployment rate is so high, currently at 14.7%, is pathetic.
    Yeah, it's not tons. There are a certain amount of idiots in all walks of life, but no large group is cheering the economy being in a free fall.

People are mad about the overall handling of the situation and what I was saying earlier about how we STILL don't have a plan and are just kinda hoping for the best now because it was hard work.

12. Likes:

Redhook (05-08-2020),RFS62 (05-08-2020)

New Data Suggest the Coronavirus Isn’t as Deadly as We Thought
    A study finds 50 to 85 times as many infections as known cases—meaning a far lower fatality rate.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-dat...le_email_share

Someone had asked earlier how I could say that most of these cases were asymptomatic. Well this article discusses that.

That translates into 48,000 to 81,000 infections, 50 to 85 times as high as the number of known cases.

That may sound scary, but it’s great news. It suggests that the large majority of people who contract Covid-19 recover without ever knowing they were infected, and that the U.S. infection fatality rate may be more than an order of magnitude lower than authorities had assumed. Based on this seroprevalence data, the authors estimate that in Santa Clara County the true infection fatality rate is somewhere in the range of 0.12% to 0.2%—far closer to seasonal influenza than to the original, case-based estimates.
    Once again, this isn't smallpox. It's a serious disease and that's why it's disrupted us to the extent it has but let's not make it worse than it is

14. Likes:

Redhook (05-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Are those folks protesting...or just going to the beach?
    Google it and add protest to your search parameters and decide for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    But spending their final days in hell, hooked up to a ventilator while people in space suits take care of them - that's fine to them?

I think what honestly kills me about all of this is just how banal average American's activities are. Throwing fits about haircuts and grocery store trips is AMAZING to me. And I get it, apparently I'm the odd duck over here, so that's fine, but I'm just flabbergasted.

I miss the hell out of sports, traveling, live music, seeing people I care about. "Running errands" I could skip for the rest of my life.
    A lot of the people this virus will kill only have a few years left. Most are older with multiple issues that make it unlikely they're going to live a long time. I think most are willing to wait another few months before heading out. But, if some of the timelines like 3 years in a best case scenario are true then I think most of those same older people would want things opened back up. When someone dies it's rarely pretty. But, considering a lot of those people only have a few years left I don't think most want to spend them alone and unable to do anything.

Is life the experiences you make of it or just sitting in a room alone and breathing? Give me the shorter life and the experiences every day.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Costco is mandating masks. Boycott them!
    I have no problem whatsoever with stores mandating rules for their customers. They have every right to do that but the Governor does not have that right. I'll wear a mask if the store tells me to but not if Amy does

Ah, I see. I was thinking of the people going to the beach about a week ago and what a "story" that was. I DO think closing beaches is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-dat...le_email_share

Someone had asked earlier how I could say that most of these cases were asymptomatic. Well this article discusses that.

Once again, this isn't smallpox. It's a serious disease and that's why it's disrupted us to the extent it has but let's not make it worse than it is
    0.12-0.2% sounds like a small number, right? How many Americans will get COVID-19 if "we let this run its course?"

If 1/4 of Americans get this, that's 100,000-165,000 dead Americans.

If 1/3 of Americans get this, that's 132,000-220,000 dead Americans.

If 1/2 of Americans get this, that's 198,000-330,000 dead Americans.

Any of those outcomes is a catastrophe.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

The beach is one of the safer places you can be and from what I saw, folks were 6 ft apart except for families. Orange Co is over 3 million and they've had 50 deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    0.12-0.2% sounds like a small number, right? How many Americans will get COVID-19 if "we let this run its course?"

If 1/4 of Americans get this, that's 100,000-165,000 dead Americans.

If 1/3 of Americans get this, that's 132,000-220,000 dead Americans.

If 1/2 of Americans get this, that's 198,000-330,000 dead Americans.

Any of those outcomes is a catastrophe.
    Agreed. It's also a catastrophe if we shut down.

Turn Off Ads?