2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Boston radio prank that altered baseball history

Pete's OPS vs the NL in 85 -86

Code:
      BA     OB%   Slg%  OPS  	RC/27
    -.009  .054 -.127 -.073		0.39
    -.049 -.020 -.125 -.144 	-1.45

If it wasn’t for that damn1981 strike then all this would have been even more moot.

Now that I read that article more WTH is this writer going on about. 1983 were NOT overpaid underproducers. Nixon did a great job to not have them lose more than 90 games again. Dave’s and Johnny and maybe Dandy D made money but it was based on their production during their peak years that they got those contracts. The rest of that team was really young and not yet established or just never good enough. Besides Soto no one was making a lot of money. The writer acts like they were expected to contend after 102 losses the year before? Johnny was a decent bench guy. Driessen was like he always was. Ok production with OBP skills but not the guy. Dave had his worse year since 1972. That team just had no power besides when they brought up Esasky.

I do know that Tom Hume turned into a gas tank that year after a good 1982 and Ben Hayes was even worse after he was expected to be the #2 guy out of the pen. There were no middle men then. Hayes was expected to be the Carroll to Hume’s Borbon.

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    . He actually broke the record on 9/8/1985 at Wrigley Field. Baseball sure mangled this. ... But we continue to pretend that Pete broke the record with 4192 on 9/11/1985.
    What? Okay what did I miss here? I 've not heard about the mishap on the 4192 chase by MLB. More details and links please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    What? Okay what did I miss here? I 've not heard about the mishap on the 4192 chase by MLB. More details and links please.
    Simple. Go look at Ty Cobbs career stats. His hits total 4189. Sometime after Rose broke the record, it was discovered that Cobb had 2 less hits than originally recorded.

Edited: Here's a long recap of how it happened. Apparently in 1910, gambling and cheating were involved in a race for the batting title and the guy battling Cobb for the batting title needed a ton of hits on the last day of the season to catch him. The opposing team let him have 8 hits that day on purpose and as it turned out it's because they bet high odds that he would win it. The commissioner wanting to right a wrong without exposing the corruption magically found 2 hits by Cobb that weren't recorded so he changed it and Cobb became champion. Later, after Rose broke the record, it was found out that they doubled one of Cobb's box scores to get those 2 extra hits.

BTW, apparently this was brought to Bowie Kuhn's attention long before Rose broke the record but he justified not changing it with some phantom "statute of limitations" rule that never existed.

Here's the link: https://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/se...cord-straight/

Funny, I find this whole article a heck of lot more intriguing than the one about Vern Rapp.
    Last edited by foster15; 04-29-2020 at 04:44 PM.

8. Likes:

North (04-29-2020),Old school 1983 (04-30-2020),Powel Crosley (04-29-2020),Tony Cloninger (04-29-2020)

Turn Off Ads?