Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: John Fay sez DH will likely be universal when baseball returns

Re: John Fay sez DH will likely be universal when baseball returns

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If the DH becomes league-wide, the Reds already have two of them in Castellanos and Winker. So that's a bonus.
    And Votto. He'd be the guy. one of those others would move to first IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

RedsBaron (05-01-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The lack of running is bizarre. If we've got bigger, stronger, faster players, then where's the faster?
    They're all faster, but it's still a poor play.

Catchers' pop times and arms are better, as are pick-off moves. (I'm not sure half the umps in baseball know the rules of what a balk is.)

5. Likes:

757690 (04-30-2020),mth123 (04-30-2020)

The lack of running is bizarre. If we've got bigger, stronger, faster players, then where's the faster?
    Faster stays put because its stupid to make an out on the bases with Bigger at the plate and Stronger on deck.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

RedsBaron (05-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    They're all faster, but it's still a poor play.

Catchers' pop times and arms are better, as are pick-off moves. (I'm not sure half the umps in baseball know the rules of what a balk is.)
    It's not a poor play if the player is fast, if they can steal the base on around 2/3 of the attempts. But the second part of your post is why there isn't much stealing. Pitchers all know how to quick pitch when fast runners are on base.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He's not going to pitch the 7th no matter how he's pitching. I'd personally leave him in, but it's not what happens anymore, so its a moot point.

I hate the days of the 5 inning starter, but if that's how it is now. the DH doesn't really remove any strategy.
    Castillo, Gray and Bauer pitched in the 7th inning around a third of their starts as a Red. Bauer half the time. They all pitched the 6th inning half the time. I am guessing that's not too different from what it was decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Castillo, Gray and Bauer pitched in the 7th inning around a third of their starts as a Red. Bauer half the time. They all pitched the 6th inning half the time. I am guessing that's not too different from what it was decades ago.
    1970 Reds pitched a complete game around 20% of the time. 2019 0 complete games.

11. Likes:

camisadelgolf (05-03-2020)

1970 Reds pitched a complete game around 20% of the time. 2019 0 complete games.
    Without a doubt, complete games are a thing of the past. But good pitchers still pitch past the 5 inning.

I do think teams tried limiting starters to 5 innings for a bit last year, but realized it was putting too much of a strain on the pen. There just aren’t enough good relievers to do that every game.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Without a doubt, complete games are a thing of the past. But good pitchers still pitch past the 5 inning.

I do think teams tried limiting starters to 5 innings for a bit last year, but realized it was putting too much of a strain on the pen. There just aren’t enough good relievers to do that every game.
    I agree there aren't enough relievers. I disagree that the 5 inning start is over unless its replaced with the 4 inning start.

This has been such a disappointing commissioner. The Gooddell of baseball.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

15. Likes:

bm1475 (05-01-2020),camisadelgolf (05-03-2020),George Anderson (04-30-2020),savafan (05-01-2020)

And Votto. He'd be the guy. one of those others would move to first IMO.
    Votto's way better at 1B than Castellanos and Winker are in the OF. They're both amazingly bad in the field for being relatively young. Get one of them goofy dudes off the field.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

17. Likes:

kaldaniels (05-01-2020),North (05-01-2020),REDREAD (05-01-2020)

Faster stays put because its stupid to make an out on the bases with Bigger at the plate and Stronger on deck.
    It's still a good play if you can make it 70%+ of the time, which fast players can do. Adalberto Mondesi swipes bases at an 84% clip. The problem is the game did go bigger and those guys are slow. I used to make fun of Sean Casey for being one of the naturally slowest humans I'd ever seen play a pro sport. Doubt I'd even notice him in today's game. You can time half the league to 1st with a sundial.

19. Likes:

North (05-01-2020),Old school 1983 (04-30-2020)

I am not old yet, but baseball is making me feel old.

21. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-30-2020),Roy Tucker (05-01-2020)

Votto's way better at 1B than Castellanos and Winker are in the OF. They're both amazingly bad in the field for being relatively young. Get one of them goofy dudes off the field.
    Just because they're bad outfielders doesn't mean they'd be bad at 1B, I think the point of DHing Votto is it would rest him more making it more likely he'd be the great hitter he used to be.
    Last edited by blumj; 04-30-2020 at 10:39 PM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

23. Likes:

mth123 (05-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Just because they're bad outfielders doesn't mean they'd be bad at 1B, I think the point of DHing Votto is it would rest him more making it more likely he'd be the great hitter he used to be.
    Why would they take a perfectly solid 1B and stick him at DH in favor of one guy who's never played the infield and another who had stone hands at 3B? Seriously, why would you do that? They've got a capable defensive 1B. It's one of the things Votto gives you. What the DH allows them to do is not to play two farcically bad corner OFs at the same time. Just make one of the two guys with no defensive skills play DH.

Why would they take a perfectly solid 1B and stick him at DH in favor of one guy who's never played the infield and another who had stone hands at 3B? Seriously, why would you do that? They've got a capable defensive 1B. It's one of the things Votto gives you. What the DH allows them to do is not to play two farcically bad corner OFs at the same time. Just make one of the two guys with no defensive skills play DH.
    The reason would be because Votto's 36 and had a down year last season. I am not sure it's correct, but the thinking is that giving Votto more time to focus on hitting, would make him a better hitter, and that would make up for having a weaker defense at first base. I'm not saying I agree with this, but I am guessing that is the argument.

Turn Off Ads?