Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: John Fay sez DH will likely be universal when baseball returns

Re: John Fay sez DH will likely be universal when baseball returns

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    OF would be a 5-man rotation for 4 spots (including a DH)
    I'm guessing it's more like

Shogo RF
    Senzel CF
    Castellanos/ Ervin LF
    Winker/ Castellanos DH

Aquino will begin the season, I'm assuming, in AAA.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwdoc77 View Post
    What about a rule where if you remove the starting pitcher, you also lose the DH. The DH could still stay in the game and be switched out for a position player, like the double switch. Reduces the number of times you see a pitcher hit to almost zero (how often does a reliever hit?) Still keeps the late game strategy people like about the NL, pretty much eliminates pitchers hitting at the same time. I would be in favor of that rule in both leagues.
    The MLBPA will never go for it because it’d reduce ABs for starting DH’s and therefore salary.

4. Likes:

REDREAD (05-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    The MLBPA will never go for it because it’d reduce ABs for starting DH’s and therefore salary.

Not necessarily true. It makes the manager make a strategic decision..which is what everyone wants. The DH doesnt have to come out of the game. Simply put, once the starter leaves the game, the DH spot is no more...When the starter leaves, if you want to keep the DH's bat in the lineup, he has to now play defense. Say Votto starts the game at DH, Castellanos is at 1st and Winker is in left. Starter comes out, if you want to keep Vottos bat in the game, he goes to first. Maybe Castellanos goes to left and Winker comes out...who knows. There have been many articles written through the recent years how the DH has evolved from the guy who only hits, to more of a shared position between a few players to rotate through...guys that can play at least passable D. I dont think it takes AB's away from anyone but pitchers...and creates another spot in the NL for hitters. Creates more strategy in the game...things for people to talk about and second guess.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Depends on the starting pitcher and the team’s pen situation. The team’s bottom of the rotation guys have always been pinch hit for early. The better pitchers, it’s still a tough decision.

Are you pinch hitting for Castillo in the sixth when he’s pitching a gem?
    He's not going to pitch the 7th no matter how he's pitching. I'd personally leave him in, but it's not what happens anymore, so its a moot point.

I hate the days of the 5 inning starter, but if that's how it is now. the DH doesn't really remove any strategy.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

REDREAD (05-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Will you feel better when a rally dies when a .220 hitter comes to the plate?
    Will your romantic baseball ideology die when a pitcher doesn't bat?

I hate the DH. The Pitcher should have to bat. It also made it easier for Pitchers to hit a batter knowing that they would not have to face retaliation and possibly being hit themselves. The Reds pitchers who could hit now lose an advantage because they could also stay in the game to bat for themselves or to PH. The DH rule could help the Reds.

I love the Sparky Anderson quote during the 76 World Series- I didn't like the DH before and after using it in person I think it stinks.

Fundamental baseball rule- you play in the field and then you bat. Good at one but not the other? Tough. There's no crying in baseball.

11. Likes:

dreghorntwo (08-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    I love the Sparky Anderson quote during the 76 World Series- I didn't like the DH before and after using it in person I think it stinks.

Fundamental baseball rule- you play in the field and then you bat. Good at one but not the other? Tough. There's no crying in baseball.
    I'm fine with this attitude if both leagues adopt it. I'd prefer no DH if I had my pick, but I'd rather have it in both leagues as opposed to what we have now.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'm guessing it's more like

Shogo RF
    Senzel CF
    Castellanos/ Ervin LF
    Winker/ Castellanos DH

Aquino will begin the season, I'm assuming, in AAA.
    There’s not going to be a AAA and the rosters are going to be significantly expanded. I would expect anybody who is close to the majors begins the year on the roster, meaning guys like Aquino, Deitrich, and TySteve all are on the roster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

14. Likes:

757690 (04-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Puig Your Red View Post
    There’s not going to be a AAA and the rosters are going to be significantly expanded. I would expect anybody who is close to the majors begins the year on the roster, meaning guys like Aquino, Deitrich, and TySteve all are on the roster.
    You may be right.

I'm guessing not.

Quote Originally Posted by jwdoc77 View Post
    Simply put, once the starter leaves the game, the DH spot is no more...When the starter leaves, if you want to keep the DH's bat in the lineup, he has to now play defense. Say Votto starts the game at DH, Castellanos is at 1st and Winker is in left. Starter comes out, if you want to keep Vottos bat in the game, he goes to first. Maybe Castellanos goes to left and Winker comes out...who knows.
    Would you be allowed to double-switch?

Let's say this is your starting lineup:
    1. RF Akiyama
    2. DH Votto
    3. 3B Suarez
    4. 2B Moustakas
    5. 1B Castellanos
    (*)6. LF Winker
    7. CF Senzel
    8. SS Galvis
    9. C Barnhart

Jesse Winker, the #6 hitter in the lineup, is due to lead off the next inning. Because Votto is moving to 1B, the relief pitcher (Stephenson) takes Winker's spot in the lineup.

But you don't want Stephenson to lead off the next inning. Let's say you want Aquino to lead it off. With a double-switch, you can have Aquino play RF instead of Akiyama, putting Stephenson in the #1 spot in the lineup..

1. RP Stephenson
    2. 1B Votto
    3. 3B Suarez
    4. 2B Moustakas
    5. LF Castellanos
    (*)6. RF Aquino
    7. CF Senzel
    8. SS Galvis
    9. C Barnhart

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    MLB seems kind of sleazy in using this situation to A) obliterate the minors B) bring on the universal DH and maybe C) get the geographic realignment they have wanted since they got rid of the league offices.
    I'm anti-DH and some of this might be temporary (if the 2020 season happens it's probably not going to resemble what comes after), but MLB should go big in terms of resetting the league. Everything it wants to do, it should do. Leave nothing on the table. Much as I don't want the DH, if it comes with geographic realignment, a new playoff format, a roster overhaul and robo umps, then I'll live with it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (05-01-2020)

If the DH becomes league-wide, the Reds already have two of them in Castellanos and Winker. So that's a bonus.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (05-01-2020),RedsBaron (05-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Aside from the DH, rampant relief use and the league wide three outcome saturation I see a lot of the 1950s in today's game. Small parks, station to station ball, HR dependence, small stealing numbers. As for the nets you probably wouldn't need them in the 1950's attendance was abysmal most places and a two thousand paid attendance contest was pretty normal
    The lack of running is bizarre. If we've got bigger, stronger, faster players, then where's the faster?

22. Likes:

North (05-01-2020),Old school 1983 (04-30-2020),RedsBaron (05-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm anti-DH and some of this might be temporary (if the 2020 season happens it's probably not going to resemble what comes after), but MLB should go big in terms of resetting the league. Everything it wants to do, it should do. Leave nothing on the table. Much as I don't want the DH, if it comes with geographic realignment, a new playoff format, a roster overhaul and robo umps, then I'll live with it.
    I hadn't thought of robo umps, but this would be the perfect time to do it. Blame it on the distance between umpire, batters, and catchers. Put a robot back there and put the ump about eight feet behind the pitcher (like in Little League). MLB could even play with where to put the other umps and perhaps save some cash with one fewer guy out there. (They could put him in the booth to save time on instant replays.)

24. Likes:

REDREAD (05-01-2020)

Turn Off Ads?