Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: John Fay sez DH will likely be universal when baseball returns

Re: John Fay sez DH will likely be universal when baseball returns

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Seeing Fay is known for his typos, could it be he just meant the games would all be in HD?
    One could branch this off to dyslexic humor but one will not.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Angels still use the DH when Shohei Ohtani starts games for them but they don't have to, it's not a rule.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

4. Likes:

EnglishRed (05-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishRed View Post
    What would universal DH do for a bullpen arm who can hit like Lorenzen? Does it make him less of an asset with a DH? I'm guessing his pinch hitting opportunities would be virtually nil. I saw a round table he did with Syndergaard, Duplantier and someone else Flaherty? where he wasn't entirely against the idea which was surprising given that he seems useful as a pinch hitter before he gets put in.
    Lorenzen has a career 279 OBP. That's not a useful pinch hitter, in my opinion.
    Sure, when you run out of players, Lorenzen is better than the average pitcher, but he's not a good pinch hitter.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

6. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-04-2020),EnglishRed (05-15-2020),reds77 (05-23-2020),Tony Cloninger (05-15-2020)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Lorenzen has a career 279 OBP. That's not a useful pinch hitter, in my opinion.
    Sure, when you run out of players, Lorenzen is better than the average pitcher, but he's not a good pinch hitter.
    Lorenzen could have also been useful when you desperately needed a HR.

8. Likes:

camisadelgolf (05-19-2020),EnglishRed (05-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Lorenzen could have also been useful when you desperately needed a HR.
    Not really. Now that Lorenzen has had a few HRs, if he was allowed to continue to hit, pitchers would be more careful. Mike Leake had some early success in hitting, then he said in an interview that pitchers started pitching him like a hitter and it got harder to hit.

Anyhow, I am thrilled that the DH is coming, I hope it's permanent.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

10. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-04-2020),goldglover9 (05-28-2020)

We’re 1/3 of the way through this unique season and I can’t help but notice that after many years of woe about the possibility of the DH coming to the NL there has been surprisingly little discussion of it so far. No complaints about lost strategy or how these games are being ruined, everyone seems to have just accepted it.

I was always a DH agnostic myself, I was fine with the NL game as was but I didn’t loathe the DH idea and thought with so much frequent interleague play that it was inevitable and the plunge should just be taken. And at this point now, I really have no desire to go back to pitchers hitting.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (08-23-2020),REDREAD (08-21-2020),RedTeamGo! (08-17-2020),Rolando (08-17-2020),Ron Madden (08-17-2020),SunDeck (08-22-2020)

I hate the DH, but I've accepted that it's a losing battle.

14. Likes:

dreghorntwo (08-17-2020),Red Raindog (08-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    We’re 1/3 of the way through this unique season and I can’t help but notice that after many years of woe about the possibility of the DH coming to the NL there has been surprisingly little discussion of it so far. No complaints about lost strategy or how these games are being ruined, everyone seems to have just accepted it.

I was always a DH agnostic myself, I was fine with the NL game as was but I didn’t loathe the DH idea and thought with so much frequent interleague play that it was inevitable and the plunge should just be taken. And at this point now, I really have no desire to go back to pitchers hitting.
    If the Reds had a push-button manager and/or a more set lineup (or more switch hitters) it would probably be more obvious that the pitchers slot was missing in the lineup. I'm adverse to making a judgement now on the DH as I'm just happy to have baseball on daily

16. Likes:

TRF (08-17-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I hated the idea of it until we had a lineup that perfectly suited the DH, so I’m having a good time with it

18. Likes:

REDREAD (08-21-2020),Revering4Blue (08-18-2020)

Bell seems to make so many moves anyway, we've hardly noticed that lack of "strategy."

The DH definitely removes a few strategic decisions, but the main one that really impacted things was the decision to PH for a pitcher throwing well in the middle innings. Do we risk taking the pitcher out in an attempt to score a run? Well, it's a moot issue now, because that pitcher is coming out of the game anyway. All the other stuff, who to use as the PH, the double switch and flip flopping the pitchers spot in the line-up is really simple stuff that just about any 8 year old who follows the team could figure out. The 5 inning starter has made the loss of that strategic element no loss at all any more.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-18-2020)

I agree with all this. I have been surprised the degree to which I have not cared about the DH or the pitching minimum rule. Both are fine - maybe even good - and probably make sense moving forward. I also would have grumbled about 7 inning games and runner on second to begin extra innings and I think both of those are really great.

I’ve been the old man shaking his fist at a cloud about the DH but I’m fine with it. After all the fuss, I don’t think about it nor do I miss it. Much ado about nothing for me.

Baseball is using this season for prototyping most everything else so why not universal DH? And like others said, Bell makes so many other switches, it seems to satisfy my urge for strategeries.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I will take the DH hands down over the 3 batter rule for pitchers. Talk about something that handcuffs a team...(and yes, the thought is on the heels of the Iglesias meltdown).

24. Likes:

Red Raindog (12-07-2020),REDREAD (08-21-2020)

I love the DH. It's been long overdue.
    One of the big complaints about baseball is that it's "boring".
    Watching Winker (or even Van Meter ) hit is a lot more exciting than the pitcher.

So far, I don't like the 3 hitter rule for relievers.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I’ve been the old man shaking his fist at a cloud about the DH but I’m fine with it. After all the fuss, I don’t think about it nor do I miss it. Much ado about nothing for me.

Baseball is using this season for prototyping most everything else so why not universal DH? And like others said, Bell makes so many other switches, it seems to satisfy my urge for strategeries.
    Similar take here, although I enjoy(ed) the differentiation of rules (DH) and styles between the NL and AL. Nevertheless, it's inevitable. And most importantly -- and I apologize if others have already stated this point, as I haven't perused the entire thread -- it stands to benefits the Reds. So bring it on!
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Turn Off Ads?