Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR to resume season in mid-May without spectators

Re: NASCAR to resume season in mid-May without spectators

Quote Originally Posted by Powel Crosley View Post
    I think Elliott will be a superstar once he starts winning more races. Blaney has a big fan base as well. So did Larson...
    yeah, I get the feeling there are several young drivers with growing fan bases. Elliot drives for Hendricks, so he is positioned very well. I think I understand why it is difficult to spread out the fan support enough to where when 1 or 2 drivers are not on the track the tv ratings take a nose dive how the sport often did every time Dale Jr. wrecked early in a race. Modern sports are built on the stars of the sport, but unlike other sports, there is no "home team" to help guide fans to different stars. It becomes too easy for too many fans to get behind 1 or 2 drivers. Even when someone like Jordan was huge and had a huge fan base across the country, fans in Utah still supported Malone and fans in Houston still supported Hakeem. In Nascar, many fans had one driver, most of them supported Earnhardt or Gordon, and they did not have a secondary or hometown driver to get their loyalty. The sport should seek to ensure a single driver never exceeds 10% of the fan bases support....or at least make sure it does not ever get to where 45% of the flags have a 3 on them and 35% of the flags have a 24 on them again.
    Last edited by adkindo; 05-25-2020 at 04:43 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I think Nascar will bounce back eventually, and hopefully learn from their mistakes. They grew too fast in the 90's and early 2000's, but allowed itself to grow on a very few drivers/names....mostly Earnhardt and to a lesser degree Gordon. It became easy money, but they should have developed a strategy to more evenly spread out the branding of the drivers. Now that Dale, Junior and Gordon are no longer driving, and Johnson's on his last laps, I get the feeling they are taking that approach this time around. It will be a slower climb, but far more sustainable. Finally, this is a personal opinion, but I do think the sport has to find a way to become less controlled by the France family or any small group and they need to become a little more standardized in the way they govern to sport.
    Heh - Dale Earnhardt. Before I became ancient, I greatly resembled him. My oldest sister married a lad from Birmingham in 1962 and when I visited the area back when, folks would just (politely) stare at me.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Heh - Dale Earnhardt. Before I became ancient, I greatly resembled him. My oldest sister married a lad from Birmingham in 1962 and when I visited the area back when, folks would just (politely) stare at me.
    and all these years later, you still believe that they stared because you resembled Dale Earnhardt....

5. Likes:

North (05-26-2020)

NASCAR says noose found in Bubba Wallace's garage at Talladega

NASCAR better produce a guilty party because every inch of the garage area has security camera's inside and out. There really should not be a reason they have not already identified the guilty party.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

It will be very interesting to find out who is responsible for that. The FBI and DOJ are now involved as well.

LOL. 2020 moral panic in a nutshell.

9. Likes:

redsfanmia (06-23-2020)

So there’s been a rope tied in a noose for maybe 9 months that was already there, and the only black driver was assigned that garage. There weren’t any other nooses in any of the other garages. That seems like awfully bad luck.

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    LOL
    What exactly are you laughing at?

Something smells funny about the noose situation, but let's say that was completely innocent. Take a look at all the social media comments to NASCAR's recent posts about the confederate flag and Bubba Wallace and tell us there's no racism issue to be addressed in the NASCAR culture and fan base.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

I'm laughing at the ridiculous circus over this non-event.

not sure if legit, but the image going around allegedly of the "noose".....was never a "noose" to begin with, unless it was going to be used on a GI Joe. It was likely a rope someone rigged up to hold something specific at some point. This is actually the best possible ending in my opinion because I knew there was about a 0.0001% chance anyone within the actual teams had hung a noose in his garage, I had very strong doubts anyone with Wallace's team would have did it to seek attention for Wallace....but I really did not trust NASCAR as they are desperate for attention and attracting non-traditional fans.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Of course nobody doing this absurd act is the best possible outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    So there’s been a rope tied in a noose for maybe 9 months that was already there, and the only black driver was assigned that garage. There weren’t any other nooses in any of the other garages. That seems like awfully bad luck.
    No, there is a rope tied to all garage doors as a way to open and close then. Someone put a loop in it that one (and maybe others) at some point to make it easier to grab. When that garage was assigned to Wallace, someone's imagination went crazy.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    not sure if legit, but the image going around allegedly of the "noose".....was never a "noose" to begin with, unless it was going to be used on a GI Joe. It was likely a rope someone rigged up to hold something specific at some point. This is actually the best possible ending in my opinion because I knew there was about a 0.0001% chance anyone within the actual teams had hung a noose in his garage, I had very strong doubts anyone with Wallace's team would have did it to seek attention for Wallace....but I really did not trust NASCAR as they are desperate for attention and attracting non-traditional fans.
    It's a big nothing burger. It's sad that the press needed the FBI to sort this one out. Investigative journalism is dead

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Some of this still doesn't add up. Why didn't anyone notice this for the past nine months?

Turn Off Ads?