Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Planning an edible garden

Planning an edible garden

Planning your first edible garden? Here are the steps to follow and common mistakes to avoid

Experts offer tips on sun exposure, companion planting, raised beds and more

https://www.cbc.ca/life/home/plannin...void-1.5532253

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Planning an edible garden

Having a garden is hard work (good exercise) and very rewarding.

Last year we had cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers and a TON of zucchini. We had so much, gave away a few of these to some elderly friends and strangers (who then became friends)

We may give up on sweet corn. The deer loves them. Lol
    Last edited by goreds2; 03-19-2021 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added comment
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-22-2021)

Gardening Just Twice a Week Improves Wellbeing and Prunes Your Stress, Says New Study

“In fact gardening every day has the same positive impact on wellbeing than undertaking regular, vigorous exercise like cycling or running.

“When gardening, our brains are pleasantly distracted by nature around us. This shifts our focus away from ourselves and our stresses, thereby restoring our minds and reducing negative feelings.”
    https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/gard...al-health-rhs/
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Having a garden is hard work (good exercise) and very rewarding.

Last year we had cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers and a TON of zucchini. We had so much, gave away a few of these to some elderly friends and strangers (who then became friends)

We may give up on sweet corn. The deer loves them. Lol
    When my dad was alive and well he had a big vegetable garden every year. He raised everything it seemed. From potatoes, corn, beans etc.... to some peanuts and even tried watermelon a couple of times(without much success). He had long rows too. I know he had 5 or 6 appx 100 foot rows of potatoes. He was always very proud of them and we would be eating on them well into the next winter. I can remember helping out from the time I was very young until I left home. At times I hated it especially when it was really hot and mosquitoes were biting. But it was very rewarding when all came to fruition. The most trouble he ever had was with crows taking the corn when it would first come out of the ground. Some years it would be nearly impossible to grow it because they would eat as soon as it would start popping through the ground. IIRC, the way he eventually found best was putting mesh gauze over the rows and the crows had a hard time getting through that. My dad always gave away whatever he had leftover which was a lot. Family and friends always got what they liked and wanted and he was always pleased to give it to them. He loved gardening as much as anything he ever did. One of the last times I went in to visit him he was really sad about not having a garden that year. He had just given away his pickup truck because he couldn't drive any longer. We were sitting in the yard looking over where he always had his garden and he said he didn't know which one was the hardest to do, give away that truck or give up that garden. It took everything in me to keep from crying because I knew how he loved those things. But that gardening has left wonderful memories that I can think about anytime I like.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

7. Likes:

goreds2 (04-29-2021),moewan (04-29-2021),RedsfaninMT (04-29-2021)

Cumberland, my mom's the same. Arthritis is winning its war with her. She has maybe two years of gardening left.

My wife's fond of saying "gardening in Montana isn't for sissies." I have 18 12'x4' raised beds. Last year, we had a frost on June 16th and our first of the "fall" on September 1. It was the least productive gardening I ever did.

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-29-2021),goreds2 (04-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    Cumberland, my mom's the same. Arthritis is winning its war with her. She has maybe two years of gardening left.

My wife's fond of saying "gardening in Montana isn't for sissies." I have 18 12'x4' raised beds. Last year, we had a frost on June 16th and our first of the "fall" on September 1. It was the least productive gardening I ever did.
    I would think Montana has a very short growing season. About the latest I can remember a frost in SEKY would be in April. I never knew one in June!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

11. Likes:

goreds2 (04-29-2021)

Turn Off Ads?