Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Basketball 2020-2021: Uncertainty Galore!

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: NCAA Basketball 2020-2021: Uncertainty Galore!

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    To be fair, Fife's IPFW tenure coincided with the program's transition into Division 1. That said, I suspect the next WSU coach to be one successful running a program in a conference below AAC - someone like Porter Moser.
    Shockers got any former players in the coaching ranks?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    To be fair, Fife's IPFW tenure coincided with the program's transition into Division 1. That said, I suspect the next WSU coach to be one successful running a program in a conference below AAC - someone like Porter Moser.
    Although your premise could be right, Wichita State and their fan base threw a hissy fit when the Missouri Valley Conference picked Loyola to replace Creighton. I can't imagine they'd go for Marshall's replacement coming from there. It was a great coincidence that Loyola went to the Final Four the year after Wichita left the MVC.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    No one notable. Steve Forbes and Chris Jans are wildly successful former Shocker assistants, but Jans looks like another Marshall waiting to happen (both for good, see New Mexico State and for bad, see Bowling Green), and Forbes just took the Wake Forest job.

I'd hate to see them try the retread route (Matta). I'm a fan of the up and comer type (UNCG's Wes Miller is the best current example, I think).

5. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-19-2020),Revering4Blue (11-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Although your premise could be right, Wichita State and their fan base threw a hissy fit when the Missouri Valley Conference picked Loyola to replace Creighton. I can't imagine they'd go for Marshall's replacement coming from there. It was a great coincidence that Loyola went to the Final Four the year after Wichita left the MVC.
    Miracle Final Four run aside, Loyola WAS a terrible choice. Granted, it doesn't matter since that league is barely even a low major now that Wichita State and Creighton are gone. Their conference champ was projected to be a 14 or 15 seed if there was a tournament last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Miracle Final Four run aside, Loyola WAS a terrible choice. Granted, it doesn't matter since that league is barely even a low major now that Wichita State and Creighton are gone. Their conference champ was projected to be a 14 or 15 seed if there was a tournament last year.
    The conference champ was only going to be a 14 or 15 seed because the 5th place team won the conference tourney. If Northern Iowa or Loyola would have won the tourney, they would have been a 10-12. The MVC certainly took a hit when Wichita and Creighton left. But it's still a strong mid-major conference, last year being 11th in the NET out of 32 conferences.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

8. Likes:

Chip R (11-29-2020)

Bradley was third place. Loyola had about the same record and wouldn't have been seeded much better. Northern Iowa probably would have been a bit better. Point stands: that league is bad, and adding Loyola was not good.

Bradley was third place. Loyola had about the same record and wouldn't have been seeded much better. Northern Iowa probably would have been a bit better. Point stands: that league is bad, and adding Loyola was not good.
    You're right. Bradley won the year before as the No. 5 seed. UNI was a bubble team all year so they would have been at least a 12.

LOL, I'm not sure if you've always been a Shocker fan or if you became one when you moved there, but you fit right in with most of the other Wichita fans I've met over the years. They hate the MVC. I remember an Arch Madness game a few years before Wichita left where a mediocre Loyola team almost knocked off Wichita in the first round. Marshall completely gave up coaching at the end of the game and spent the last two minutes shouting and losing his mind at the MVC commissioner who was sitting at press row.

You called Loyola's run to the Final Four a miracle, but I'm assuming Wichita's wouldn't be classified as such? Loyola won a lot of tight games in that tournament run, but they were loaded that year. They won @Florida, a top-5 team at the time, steamrolled through the conference, and had a 10-point lead against Michigan with less than 10 minutes to play in the Final Four game. I know Shockers refuse to acknowledge any MVC success, but you lose credibility when you call it barely a low-major league.
    -Walt Whitman

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Go Valpo!

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-19-2020)

I should say that Wichita probably had no business staying in the Valley and were right to look for a new home. They built a helluva program and became an outlier in the MVC. The only issue for them is all the good basketball programs in the AAC want out, so the Shockers might be in trouble if UC, Houston, or Memphis ever make their way into a P5. They already lost one basketball school with UCONN leaving.
    -Walt Whitman

LOL, I'm not sure if you've always been a Shocker fan or if you became one when you moved there, but you fit right in with most of the other Wichita fans I've met over the years. They hate the MVC. I remember an Arch Madness game a few years before Wichita left where a mediocre Loyola team almost knocked off Wichita in the first round. Marshall completely gave up coaching at the end of the game and spent the last two minutes shouting and losing his mind at the MVC commissioner who was sitting at press row.

You called Loyola's run to the Final Four a miracle, but I'm assuming Wichita's wouldn't be classified as such? Loyola won a lot of tight games in that tournament run, but they were loaded that year. They won @Florida, a top-5 team at the time, steamrolled through the conference, and had a 10-point lead against Michigan with less than 10 minutes to play in the Final Four game. I know Shockers refuse to acknowledge any MVC success, but you lose credibility when you call it barely a low-major league.
    Just when I moved here. I've always had a lot of respect for the Valley, honestly. Arch Madness has always been one of the best tournaments out there. Valpo was an excellent pick for the league. Loyola? Nah. They should have gone with Murray State. And I meant they are barely a mid-major league as they are trending towards low major status. It's a bit of a dumpster fire there right now.

Yeah, Wichita State's run was definitely a bit of a miracle. Any time an 8 or 9 (can't remember which they were) gets all the way there it's a bit of a miracle. Definitely were fortunate to have LaSalle as a Cinderella Sweet Sixteen entrant for them to stomp. But Wichita State followed it up by getting to 31-0 or 32-0 or whatever before losing to Kentucky in an epic NCAA Tournament game the next year. Put a bit more legitimacy on what WSU did the year before.

WSU's situation is also a complete dumpster fire now. The roster is a mess. The coach is unproven at best. They'll have to sell the fan support, history and facilities to lure in the next coach. Marshall was a unique cat already when he came in passing up all those opportunities and staying at Winthrop as long as he did. It's going to be hard to find another one of those.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Moser is simply one name mentioned in an article located behind a paywall from ESPN, and I cannot link the article. I'm not suggesting that he should be the top choice.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I'm not sure. But it's been reported that Adrian Griffin, a Raptors assisstant and Witchita native, is interested in the Shockers job. Alas, there's reported personal baggage associated with Griffin.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

17. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-19-2020)

Just when I moved here. I've always had a lot of respect for the Valley, honestly. Arch Madness has always been one of the best tournaments out there. Valpo was an excellent pick for the league. Loyola? Nah. They should have gone with Murray State. And I meant they are barely a mid-major league as they are trending towards low major status. It's a bit of a dumpster fire there right now.

Yeah, Wichita State's run was definitely a bit of a miracle. Any time an 8 or 9 (can't remember which they were) gets all the way there it's a bit of a miracle. Definitely were fortunate to have LaSalle as a Cinderella Sweet Sixteen entrant for them to stomp. But Wichita State followed it up by getting to 31-0 or 32-0 or whatever before losing to Kentucky in an epic NCAA Tournament game the next year. Put a bit more legitimacy on what WSU did the year before.

WSU's situation is also a complete dumpster fire now. The roster is a mess. The coach is unproven at best. They'll have to sell the fan support, history and facilities to lure in the next coach. Marshall was a unique cat already when he came in passing up all those opportunities and staying at Winthrop as long as he did. It's going to be hard to find another one of those.
    I think Wichita will be fine in a year or two. Like you mentioned, they have the facilities, the fan support, and all the Koch money.

I'll be the first to admit Loyola wasn't a slam dunk add to the MVC. The Valley was banking on their potential and the city of Chicago. But I'm not sure why you think Valpo was such a better pick than Loyola. I think Valpo made sense for the MVC but their facilities need a major upgrade, the fan support is lackluster, and they've been cutting sports recently. Valpo's three years in the league have seen them finish 10th, 9th, and 7th. In those years, Loyola has finished 2nd, 1st, and 1st.
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It appea⁰rs that the NCAA tournament will take place in Indianapolis- every game.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...pionship-sites
    I love this idea. Season is gonna be all over the place for sure, but we should get a decent idea of who the teams who deserve to be there are. At least most of them heh.

Getting everyone in the bubble virus free will be a thing, but college hoops fans will gladly wait I'm sure. Just so long as we get a tournament.

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-19-2020)

Late on this one I know, but I think Gregg Marshall is a real good coach, but yea it just comes as no surprise that he was forced to resign from abuse. There's hard coaches then there's the Gregg Marshalls. Both can be successful, but only one really works.

Bob Huggins is a hard coach who loves the hell out of every player he ever coached. Care about your players and you'll be fine. Marshall always seemed like a dbag. Killer for WSU tho, they'll never get a better coach. Marshall is gonna end up better than them in the long run because sports will always reward talent despite baggage.

Turn Off Ads?